PDA

View Full Version : Currency and keeping your license going

PompeyPaul
30th Mar 2010, 12:27
hello,

I've had to take a break due to paying for a wedding. I'm now almost done with that and ready to get back into the saddle :ok:

I've got 110 hours and did my last flight last November, but was flying infrequently before that.

So, if memory serves, I need to do 12 hours, 12 take off and landings per year and 24 hours, 24 take off and landing in the previous two years.

Are those years from getting your PPL or calendar years ?

I intend to go out with an instructor for a couple of hours and then get some touring done.

Any other tips out there ?

yes I know that this is all in LASORS but I find that document to be fairly inpenetrable :E

moona
30th Mar 2010, 13:00
Hi PompeyPaul, for the SEP revalidation I think its 12 To/Landings & hours in the last 12 months dosent matter what you did the year before. And must include an hour with an instructor.

Moona

AndyGB
30th Mar 2010, 13:07
and it's from your rating date.

So for example if you passed on 1st June 2008 you would have to do 12 hours (one of which is with an instructor) plus 12 take off and landings between 1st June 2009 and 1st June 2010 to revalidate (?) due to experiance. If you don't it's a retest to get your rating back, but I don't believe it is a full flight test.

moona
30th Mar 2010, 13:18
Forgot to say, after meeting these requirements you still need to get an examiner to sign your SEP revalidation before it expires.

If you don't then its off for a flight test. I made this mistake a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

PompeyPaul
30th Mar 2010, 16:07
Thanks,
I did my revalidation last August. Does that mean that my rating doesn't become invalid THIS August ? I thought it was an anual thing ?

IRRenewal
30th Mar 2010, 19:43
The best way to find out when your rating expires is to check the rating page in your licence. SEP ratings are 24 months.

Whopity
30th Mar 2010, 21:36
If you don't it's a retest to get your rating back, but I don't believe it is a full flight test.If you licence is valid, its called a Proficiency Check; if its expired, its called a Skill Test but the content is the same. All tests are full tests but don't confuse this with an initial PPL test which is over twice as long.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
31st Mar 2010, 10:11
Hi Paul,

As mentioned by IRRenewal and others, the important date is the one on your RATINGS - CERTIFICATE OF REVALIDATION page in the celebrated poo-brown booklet. Check the latest date in the Valid until column. In the 12 months leading up to that date you will have to have done the following:

1. Flown 12 hours in an SEP or TMG, of which:
i. A minimum of 6 hours must be PIC
ii. The flights include a minimum of 12 take-offs & landings.

2. Include a training flight of at least 1 hour with an instructor (FI(A) or CRI(A)), who must countersign your logbook.

The Ratings page in your licence then needs to be signed by an Examiner, which can be a bit of a 'gotcha' as moona mentions above. If this is signed within the last three months of the existing rating validity, the new rating runs for a full two years from the end of the existing one. If for some reason the Examiner signed off the Rating earlier than three months before the existing one expires, the new one will run for two years from date of signing.

All dates relating to Ratings run as 12 or 24 months from the date of issue and not 'calendar years'.

All this exciting stuff is in LASORS Section F1.4

If you need any assistance, there are a few of us CRI's around, some of whom have the Revalidation Examiner (R) Authorisation, so can deal with the Rating sign off as long as you have met the experience requirements.

Feel free to PM.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

VOD80
31st Mar 2010, 10:47
So, what happens to us people with a "never expiring" CAA ICAO licence? I don't have this separate page in the licence that needs to be signed.

Is it just the logbook signature?

I reactivated my PPL after a 10 year break just under a year ago so have a little while before I need to get things done, but I would like to be prepared!

Cheers.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
31st Mar 2010, 11:13
Hi VOD80,

I too have a non-expiring CAA PPL(A), issued in 1992. I started with a ratings page in 1999, although it was called a:
AIRCRAFT RATING - CERTIFICATE OF TEST / CHECK OR EXPERIENCE in those days.

When you reactivated your PPL you should have been given one of those pages by your Examiner. It may be worth contacting the Examiner and getting that sorted out, as I suspect it will cause problems when you come to revalidate next time.

Experts on the subject, like bose-x and Whopity, may be able to help out with better instructions. If you feel I can help in any way, please feel free to PM.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

S-Works
31st Mar 2010, 11:33
If you don't have a separate page with a rating validity period on it then how do you know when your Class Rating expires?

If you are flying without one then I would suggest you are flying illegally. If you came to me to revalidate you without the ratings validity page even if you met all of the requirements for revalidation by experience then you would have to do an LST.

Your CAA licence, may not expire, but your Class rating for SEP still requires revalidating every 2 years and that is done my having the ratings revalidation page signed through either revalidation by experience or an LPC/LST.

Fuji Abound
31st Mar 2010, 12:36
I reactivated my PPL after a 10 year break just under a year ago so have a little while before I need to get things done, but I would like to be prepared!

.. .. but how exactly did you reactivate it?

Presumably with an instructor in which case I think you need to have a chat with him and ask where your certificate is.

The good news is that as matters stand your license is non expiring (although EASA will probably determine otherwise in due course) but your license is only valid when accompanied by a revalidation certificate.

(All that said whether the certificate MUST be completed on the CAA provided "form" or can be written up in some other way, I dont know.)

S-Works
31st Mar 2010, 13:06
Also as a point of order, if the Class rating was revalidated after a 10 year break it would have involved the Examiner completing an SRG1119 and that being sent to the CAA who would then issue the ratings validity page. This would have been done on the completion of a successful LST.

VOD80, did you actually do an LST or just some training with an Instructor? If you did an LST then you should have a ratings validity page from the CAA.

VOD80
1st Apr 2010, 11:17
Hi again,

Yes, I did the full LST and sent the paperwork off to the CAA (the JAA equivalent of the SRG1119 because I did it in France). I'd previously spoken to the CAA and got the process sorted out - the person I spoke to just said "ah, non expiring licence, you need an LST and there's no fee for the renewal" but didn't think to ask about asking about the extra pages for the licence.

Looks like I better get that sorted then... :bored:

Poose
9th Apr 2010, 16:22
Chaps,

I gained my PPL back in November 2000. I let it lapse for many reasons and returned to flying in July 2006. I had a 'skills test / proficiency check' of sorts with an examiner in August 2006 and I have had my SEP Rating signed off in August 2006 and in August 2008.

I will be due to get my SEP Rating initialed by an examiner again at the end of this August. My question surrounds the valididity of my licence as a whole and my Night Qualification, which I attained in January 2009. Do I need to do anything with my licence or is it a case of simply getting my rating initialed by

Thanks.