PDA

View Full Version : Appendix 2 /FCL1.240 - two engine inop landing

galleypower
30th Mar 2010, 11:09
Hi all,
I am almost sure to get it right, but would like confirmation:
Can someone confirm that paragraph 5.6 (Landing with two engines simulated inoperative) on the TR/ATPL/MPA Checkform is only for 3 and 4-engine aircraft?

Guess most pilots would not land safely with two engines out on a two engine aircraft.
Cheers

BillieBob
30th Mar 2010, 15:01
In whose TR/ATPL/MPA Checkform?

In the UK Form SRG\1158 it states:

"5.6 Landing with two engines
simulated inoperative: (Not 2 eng.
Aircraft)"

and in Appendix 2 to JAR-FCL 1.240 & 1.295 it states:

"5.6 Landing with two engines
inoperative
– Aeroplanes with three engines: the
centre engine and one outboard
engine as far as prcticable according
to data of the AFM.
– Aeroplanes with four engines, two
engines at one side."

galleypower
30th Mar 2010, 16:43
Well, actually in all the forms :)
SRG 1158 is so far the only form stating clearly that it is not related to 2-eng. aircraft. 1.240 does mention the 3- and 4-engine aircraft but does kinda not exclude 2 eng. aircraft. Anyways, now its crystal clear. Thanks.

DFC
31st Mar 2010, 09:22
Guess most pilots would not land safely with two engines out on a two engine aircraft.

Well some average joe's have managed it on a number of occasions. You could probably even include several more if you determine that safely means without serious injury to anyone on board despite wrecking the aircraft.

The 2 engine inop training is only for aircraft with 3 or more engines.

However, a big point for those teaching on the Multi Engine Piston class is to remember that the CAA require everyone to instruct that if an engine fails in the initial part of the departure it is often more safe to close both throttles and make a controled forced landing rather than attempt to climb away and loose control or (as has been done in a tragic accident or 3) shut down the wrong engine.

There is alsop the fact that when fully loaded many MEP's can't really climb on one engine even at sea level ISA.

212man
31st Mar 2010, 09:43
Aeroplanes with four engines, two engines at one side

I'm assuming this is simulator only? C-130 and Colerne ring any bells?

However, a big point for those teaching on the Multi Engine Piston class is to remember that the CAA require everyone to instruct that if an engine fails in the initial part of the departure it is often more safe to close both throttles and make a controled forced landing rather than attempt to climb away and loose control or (as has been done in a tragic accident or 3) shut down the wrong engine.

Yes, I lost an ex-colleague in the Glasgow accident (C402 I think) a few years ago. He was in the back positioning with an airtours crew to Aberdeen. A horrible waste (multiple fatalities, including several stewardesses) and subsequently led to the CAA mandating Perf C or above for such trips, I believe.

Biggles78
9th Apr 2010, 15:13
No disrespect to your mate 212man.

@ galleypower. When a single engine fails on a twin engine a/c, there will always be sufficient power remaining in the good engine to take you to the scene of the crash.

I remember my multi rating and being told that there are more fatalities when 1 fan fails on a 2 fan machine then when it fails on a single. On a single you have 1 choice, your descend. On a multi you have multiple choices and can nuff it up quite badly especially as mentioned above about the climb rate on a fully loaded a/c. Density Altitude also needs to be taken into account in locations that have hot to very hot locations like OZ, Africa & Middle East.

50% lost of power units = 80%+ loss of performance

My apologies for going :offtopic: (oops, no smilie)