PDA

View Full Version : QF5 returning?

Hydromet
30th Mar 2010, 07:02
Just on news that QF5 to Singapore 'returning - circling the city'. Anything more substantial than channel 9?

Hydromet
30th Mar 2010, 07:17
Just landed OK apparently. Good to hear.

seaeagle2323
30th Mar 2010, 07:58
Qantas 747 runs into trouble with engine, forced to turn back | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/qantas-747-runs-into-trouble-with-engine-forced-to-turn-back/story-e6frf7jo-1225847645314)

Old Fella
30th Mar 2010, 08:05
What in the world is happening. A four engine B747 returns to point of departure due to an engine problem and this makes the evening news!!! Probably did make a three engine approach and landing, big deal!!! How many three engine landings do you all think have been carried out on B747's or any other four engine aircraft worldwide. It is no drama people. No mention of fire or break-up, not even confirmed that it was a three engine approach and landing. Must be more important things for the media to report.

blueloo
30th Mar 2010, 08:17
Old fella - Nobody forced you to read this thread.

Maybe others found it interesting.

Hotel Tango
30th Mar 2010, 08:21
Fully agree with you Old Fella. Must be a slow press day in Singapore.

blueloo, 3 year olds shouldn't be allowed to post here!

Old Fella
30th Mar 2010, 09:17
Blueloo, of course no one forced me to read the thread, however the way in which what is often a commonplace event in aviation is reported upon is enough to make those of us who have an understanding of how things work cringe. It is a rumour and NEWS thread, my point being that a return to point of departure is not of itself a newsworthy event. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

kwateow
30th Mar 2010, 09:34
"a return to point of departure is not of itself a newsworthy event"

unless, of course, it is an A380, in which case it would merit several pages on PPRune and many "thought we were going to die" stories in the media.

flicker1313
30th Mar 2010, 10:25
i see they gave out a mayday why? engine failure should just be a pan got 3 more engines!

Old Fella
30th Mar 2010, 10:39
On the face of it a Mayday may have been a bit premature, however it was subsequently downgraded to a PAN after determining that there was not a MAYDAY condition evident.

parabellum
30th Mar 2010, 10:52
If it is a fire, it is a Mayday, if the fire goes out you may downgrade, yes?

TSR2
30th Mar 2010, 11:44
my point being that a return to point of departure is not of itself a newsworthy event.

In your opinion. Others may disagree.

Diesel Fitter
30th Mar 2010, 12:09
enough to make those of us who have an understanding of how things work cringe.

"Cringe" all you like Old Fella and patronise all you like but since for some reason you're slumming it over here with the lowly peasant spectators and spotters, care to back up your above claim by telling us what really happened?

On the face of it a Mayday may have been a bit premature,

Sounds like QF SOP to me.

Why do you claim it was not?

Bullethead
30th Mar 2010, 12:26
Sounds like QF SOP to me

DF,

There isn't anything in QF SOPs which directs you to declare a Mayday, or anything else for that matter, it's entirely up to the operating Captain.

Regards,
BH.

Old Fella
31st Mar 2010, 02:47
TSR2 & Diesel Fitter. At the time I made my post no mention of a fire had been made. Besides, as Bullethead said, the decision to declare what type of emergency is declared is entirely up to the Captain, as it should be. The reality is that an engine fire does not automatically give rise to a MAYDAY being declared. The first action by the crew is to "fly the aircraft" whilst they identify the warning/engine applicable, carry out the memory recall actions, followed by the cleanup checks. When the situation has been assessed then the appropriate declaration is made, if required. It may be a PAN-PAN-PAN or it may be a MAYDAY-MAYDAY-MAYDAY call. If the fire warning is able to be cancelled and the fire is extinguished with no apparent structural damage or handling problems no MAYDAY condition exists. By definition, a MAYDAY condition is when the aircraft, vessel or whatever and its occupants are in grave or imminent danger and in need of immediate assistance. By the way, I don't consider posting here as slumming it nor do I consider those that post here to be peasant spectators or spotters. Don't know what either of you have to do with aviation but we all can learn something every day, that's the beauty of aviation.

ground_star
31st Mar 2010, 07:58
Ah - the dreaded 3 engine approach! :O

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Mar 2010, 08:24
ATC will never question the type of emergency call - you can never be over safe. The Mayday or PAN call is between the pilot and the controller he is talking to and there is no "come back" later if it transpires that it could have been a different call.

Once the pilot has told ATC what the problem is, ATC decides the category of emergency for the safety services on the ground. Mayday or PAN will indicate to ATC the priority required and not necessarily the category of emergency action on the ground. If it is down- or up-graded ATC will behave accordingly.

Bullethead
31st Mar 2010, 08:36
Ah - the dreaded 3 engine approach

Wish I could do one!

Regards,
BH. :}
B767 driver

flicker1313
31st Mar 2010, 10:50
" If it is a fire, it is a Mayday, if the fire goes out you may downgrade, yes? " Correct fire and you cant put it out mayday otherwise pan that what i would do! captian got be excited but all safe and well might as well go the full hog to cover your ass! :}

backseatjock
31st Mar 2010, 20:46
From a pax who was actually on board the aircraft.

There was an engine fire shortly after take off and the 744 flew out to sea to dump fuel before landing back in Sydney, just over one hour after departure.

The crew kept passengers fully informed throughout, with updates every 10 minutes or so. CC did a great job, as they are trained to do, looking after some of the very nervous flyers.

Landing with fire engines in attendance was quite a shock to some, as you would expect. A non event for others but please give a break to those who are not quite so used to such occurences.

Well done QF and the crew on flight 5. Seemed like a text book handling of the situation. Cheers, you all earned your money on that particular flight.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Apr 2010, 06:24
<<the 744 flew out to sea to dump fuel before landing back in Sydney, just over one hour after departure>>

So it plainly was not a major emergency.

backseatjock
1st Apr 2010, 19:14
LHR Director - you got it.

Flight crew kept the pax fully informed and explained all that was going on. Cabin Crew were up and down the aisles ensuring everyone was ok and comforting those who were clearly nervous. Engine fire occured shortly after t/o and was obviously dealt with quickly and effectively. Probably a bit concerning for those behind the engines, in window seats, but there was no sign of panic. Aircraft landed with parade of fire engines, as you might expect, but no further drama. Nice work by all.:D

Bob in Sweden
2nd Apr 2010, 05:37
I was also pax on board that QF5 flight. Seated on window just behind engine number 3. I was looking out the window at the time the engine failed with a bang and shudder. The main sight to be seen out my window was a dense plume of orange glowing sparks about 10 meters or so long lasting roughly 10 seconds after the initial bang. No flames seen at all, but the plume of hot glowing sparks was so dense it could be easily mistaken for flames, particularly from the ground.

Announcement from the captain soon after stated they had secured the engine and another announcement before landing confirmed a 3 engine landing.

I agree with backseatjock. We were regularly and well informed by the captain. The CC worked with nervous passengers. At no time did it seem like anything but a routine response to a minor issue. :ok::ok:All should be congratulated for a nice job.

ACARS
7th Apr 2010, 10:51
Bob in Sweden

Nice posting. Agree with your comments. For some people it's a non event. For others it's a complete nightmare.