PDA

View Full Version : Eindhoven Airport

SP-THC
29th Mar 2010, 22:39
I plan to go to the Dutch town of Oss, some 50 km north on Eindhoven,
do you know if Eindhoven (EHEH) is GA friendly?
If not any other recommendations not to far away from my destination (I fly C182, IFR/VFR)

and is Avgas cheaper in Belgium (Ostende) or Holland?

thanks

IRRenewal
30th Mar 2010, 07:15
You might be better off looking at Kempen Airport (EHBD). It's a GA airfield not far from Eindhoven and (last time I checked) a lot cheaper than Eindhoven

www(.)kempenairport(.)nl

BackPacker
30th Mar 2010, 07:29
Eindhoven is still an active military base, despite the presence of civil aviation (Ryanair), and it's pretty hard to get in as GA. Landing fees plus handling will likely not be cheap, unless you manage to arrange something via the local flying club.

EHBD is much easier and cheaper. Although it might be a little harder to reach by public transport from/to Oss. Something you might have to check out. 9292ov.nl - Journeyplanner for all Dutch public transport (http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/)

Pat210
30th Mar 2010, 16:34
Landing & Handling cost 90 Euro's in a SR22 2 years ago.

Katamarino
30th Mar 2010, 20:54
Landing and Handling cost us 250 Euros in a C172 last year. They told us frankly that GA were not welcome, and the costs were to try and keep us away. If this doesn't put you off, you need to phone ahead for handling more than 24 hours in advance, in addition to filing a flight plan.

It was not a pleasant experience; the staff there were exceptionally hostile.

A and C
31st Mar 2010, 06:16
And I was thinking that the hostile attitude of airports was a UK thing!

I just don't know what you can do with a business that is hostile to income, the airports costs are covered by the airlines & military and they are hostile to extra income that costs them nothing.

Who runs the place? I would bet it is local govenment with an attitude like that!

BackPacker
31st Mar 2010, 06:26
SP-THC, saw your PM.

I just looked at the map and there really is no alternative if you want to go to Oss. Everything in the area is military and you'll have a hard time getting in. The only alternative a bit farther away might be Niederrhein EDLV but I have no experience whatsoever with that airfield.

SP-THC
31st Mar 2010, 12:40
thank you all for the advise

BackPacker
31st Mar 2010, 13:12
Be advised that EHBD is a bit in the middle of nowhere, with about a 20-minute walk into the town of Budel, where the nearest bus stop is. I'm also pretty confident that there's no car rental agency at the airfield itself, nor in the town of Budel.

You might want to talk to the operator of EHBD first about car rental, taxies or other modes of transport (bicycle!) before setting off. I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you, as long as you arrange things a few days in advance.