PDA

View Full Version : Training Instrument Approaches at Mil Airfields?

KembleKid
29th Mar 2010, 18:19
I'm part way through an IMCR course. I've done various approach procedures at Oxford, Cranfield, Gloucester & Coventry - and parted with a good wedge of cash for the privilege of using their facilities.

I still need a few more hours towards the IMCR training requirement and I was wondering about trying some procedures at a military airfield. Brize, Benson & Lyneham are all pretty handy for me. Anyone else had any luck using Mil. airfields for IMC training? I know our club aircraft have the necessary insurance/Crown Indemnity so we should be OK on that score.

niknak
29th Mar 2010, 18:27
Have you got a big chequebook?
Most MOD airfields will accept instrument training by civilian aircraft but few give discounts, check in advance as to the size of the bill you are likely to get.

dont overfil
29th Mar 2010, 18:44
PAR. Precision approach radar is excellent. They can talk you all the way to the ground. Cost me nowt at Leuchars some time ago because they used it as training as well, however I didn't land.
Thoroughly recommended.
DO.

'India-Mike
29th Mar 2010, 18:57
Echo DO's reference to PAR - got two on my IR training. Very valuable experience indeed.

KembleKid
30th Mar 2010, 12:11
Just spoken to Lyneham. Cost of a couple of approaches works out at about £35. Not significantly more expensive than any of the civilian airfields I've used.

F.A.TAlbert
30th Mar 2010, 16:04
As already suggested, try telephoning the SATCO of the selected airfield [or a few] and see if they have a need to do some training for their controllers. Then ask if you can take advantage of that. Also, ask what time would be the most convenient for them. I'm sure you will get a decent response.