PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing of posts within a few seconds.

Centaurus
27th Mar 2010, 11:43
I click on this Safety and CRM forum and see lots of threads. Decide to reply to one but then somehow I lose Pprune and have to start again. Click on Safety, CRM, QA etc forum again and lo and behold it comes up with a vastly reduced number of posts from the first time - three only in fact and the one I tried to reply on was among those which have vanished. Anyone else struck this phenomenon?

Centaurus
27th Mar 2010, 11:45
Bugger me - they are all back again within seconds of my complaint. Gremlins around? :ugh:

john_tullamarine
27th Mar 2010, 22:28
I haven't come across that sort of thing .. amongst all the other little gremlin activities.

I'll refer it to the techos and see if they can come up with a specific answer.

The one which drives me to distraction is when, after spending half an hour on a long post, the system hangs and I lose the lot ... must be a case of just desserts for a misspent youth.

IRRenewal
28th Mar 2010, 07:32
The one which drives me to distraction is when, after spending half an hour on a long post, the system hangs and I lose the lot ... must be a case of just desserts for a misspent youth.

Very annoying indeed. I've learnt to copy my reply to the clipboard before hitting the 'submit reply' button on a long post. Ctrl-A (select all), Ctrl-C (copy).

BOAC
28th Mar 2010, 07:41
Even better, given the apparent lack of server priority PPrune now has, is to compose the post in a simple text editor before posting. A nuisance, but far less blood from one's head on the wall.

john_tullamarine
28th Mar 2010, 10:41
Very annoying indeed. I've learnt to copy my reply to the clipboard

Even better ... is to compose the post in a simple text editor

Concur with both .. now, all I need to do is discipline myself into doing that all the time .. rather than just for a few posts after I lose a big one.

I can recall a speedboat ride across an eyebrow-raising body of water in an Asian location years ago on a contract audit job .. while hanging onto my laptop for all I was worth (knowing that if we broached I'd be dead from dissolving long before drowning). Numerous times I prayed to a wide variety of deities for the deliverance of my laptop (you guessed it .. I hadn't backed up before leaving home). I think I was a good boy and backed up religiously thereafter .. for about two weeks as I recall ....

MikeSims
29th Mar 2010, 16:22
Can you guys give me an idea of how long is 'long' in time?

My gut reaction is you are hitting a session time limit and then being bounced to one of the many other virtual machines for load balancing. If I get a good idea of the times you are experiencing when this happens, it will help me find out.