PDA

View Full Version : Avidyne R9 and digital autopilot

Fuji Abound
27th Mar 2010, 10:42
I would be very interested to hear from people who have used R9 with or without the new digital autopilot.

I would also be interested in any comaparison with the G1000.

Thank you.

Air Soul
27th Mar 2010, 14:39
We're getting to grips with R9 with (at the moment the STEC 55X), very impressed with the kit compared to the old Enterga / Garmin 430 set up, much more intuitive an logical to use. Need to unlearn some of the old habits and use the new Alt, Hdg and FMS knobs more.

First major problem is that the left hand IFD monthly nav database update worked, and the right hand nav and chart database update didn't. Now there's a database mismatch, and you can't really do much with it. There's also a software update due - until this happens you can't rely on the GPS position.

I have no experience of the G1000, however I have read a lot of articles about it - it seems equally good, but the overriding comment seems to be that some commonly used functions are hidden several layers deep in the menus. This doesn't seem to be the case with the R9, unless there's something we haven't discovered yet.

KR

AS

PS if anyone knows how to get around the DB problem please let me know. In a nutshell the Jepp update requires a FAT16 format USB stick, and the R9 will only recognise FAT32. Hmmm.