PDA

View Full Version : PPL Problem

Cathayfan
26th Mar 2010, 13:27
I am currently attending a flight school In Buttonville. My instructor costs about 70 dollars per hour for ground school and dollars per hour on the aircraft. For every other lesson he always needs to brief for 2.3 hours which will cost around $180.00 taxes included. I am also going to algonquin college for the General Arts and Science - Aviation Management on May1st. The semester starts on May 10. Should I continue flying with Buttonville or just hold it off and fly at the OFC(ottawa flying club partnered with algonquin)? Which would be cheaper? Is the instructor charging to much? Advice?

+TSRA
27th Mar 2010, 15:19
Take this knowing that its been almost 7 years since I did any training in a GA aircraft, but $70/hr sounds a little steep - unless you are training with a Class 1 Flight Instructor - but PPL means youre probably with a Group 4 or 3, so yeah that sounds steep.
Remember though that the cost goes up with the type of airplane, so if you have decided to do training on a fully packaged Cirrus or one of those nice new computerized 172's then you may end up paying a little more than if you went down the road and flew a 152 or PA28 - at the end of the day you are not more employable to an airline if you have EFIS training on a 172, because the Navajo or King Air you will start on probably is more than likely steam driven.

As for 2.3 hr brief sessions - I did the instructor thing and I always briefed about an hour per flight - half before and half after - and yes you want those brief sessions because you need to understand how and why you are doing a specific type of training, and how you did on the excersie - but I do question the logic behind waiting two flights then doing a long brief. Is it the same topic for the same 2 hours, or does your instructor cover all the subject material from your previous flights?

Chuck Ellsworth
27th Mar 2010, 22:32
Wouldn't you be exhausted after 2.3 hours of briefing, or maybe to confused to remember what the subject is?

Cathayfan
28th Mar 2010, 18:17
We don't fly after the 2.3 hour brief. I learn quite a lot. I just want to know if its a waste of money or not...

Chuck Ellsworth
28th Mar 2010, 20:46
Your question is difficult to answer not knowing what he is briefing you for.

At $70.00 per hour for ground briefing my only suggestion is only you can really make the decision as to the worth of the briefings.

I personally have never ever given ground briefings that came anywhere near those times.

You must remember the above are only my thoughts on this subject and I may be way off base in my opinions so take them for whatever you may think they are worth. :ok:

kanin
29th Mar 2010, 01:24
I'm not sure what the going rate for instructing now is but that does sound very steep (keep in mind I also have not been in GA aircraft for over 7 years).

Chuck's correct on it depends on what stage you are in on your PPL process. That being said, once you are a third way through the course, you should know what it takes to prepare for your next lesson.

I had the same experience with +TSRA... half hour before, half hour after. Essentially the brief was answering my questions I had for the lesson. Study a couple of lessons before and your instructor won't half to brief as much... he'll just answer your questions and brush you up after the lesson.

If you think he's milking you... he probably is... MOST are honest guys though and understand the cost and try to help out.

Anyways, stick with it if you can... taking a break in aviation training is never a good thing.

Have fun its worth it!

K

clunckdriver
29th Mar 2010, 11:44
Catyfan, check your PMs!

Cathayfan
29th Mar 2010, 22:07
Thank you... For your response : )