PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Fuel Charges / A Disgrace

The_Observer
26th Mar 2010, 11:49
Has anyone else recently noticed the disgraceful behaviour by the accountants at EGNH? Not only have they managed to see off Ryanair with the famous 'airport development' fee, they now want to see the end of GA also. On what grounds do I make this assumption?

Well only if you really wanted to make your GA residents angry would you hang a sign on the fuel pump which stated that 'All fuel transactions will be rounded UP to the next litre'. So not only do we have to pay ridiculous fuel charges at Blackpool, we now have to pay for fuel we never uplift! I’m sure there must be a legal issue here? Can you imagine filling your car at a petrol station, being charged for fuel you don’t actually put in your vehicle?

They still want to take the GA fraternity for a ride despite having sold half the airfield (including half of runway 25). When will the management at this field start to respect the customer base. When Jet2 goes under, and they decide that GA is the only constant they have?

jet2impress
26th Mar 2010, 11:53
Errr.... When Jet2 goes under??? :=

Phil Space
26th Mar 2010, 12:21
Simple answer.....fuel elsewhere:ok:

Brooklands
26th Mar 2010, 14:05
Well only if you really wanted to make your GA residents angry would you hang a sign on the fuel pump which stated that 'All fuel transactions will be rounded UP to the next litre'. So not only do we have to pay ridiculous fuel charges at Blackpool, we now have to pay for fuel we never uplift! I’m sure there must be a legal issue here? Can you imagine filling your car at a petrol station, being charged for fuel you don’t actually put in your vehicle?

Try asking Trading Standards - I'm think they are the people who would be interested in this sort of thing.

Brooklands

robin
26th Mar 2010, 20:08
... and it would appear that unlike Mogas, Avgas users are not going to get a phased introduction of the fuel duty over the next 12 months. We're going to get it all in one hit on April 1st

Captain Smithy
26th Mar 2010, 21:45
Did you know that roughly half the price you pay on AVGAS consists of duty & VAT which is entirely pocketed by the Treasury... It doesn't go back into funding national aviation infrastructure! :ugh:

Is it really as much as that? I thought it was about 29% or something like that.

I didn't catch how much AVGAS duty was going up by in the Budget. What's the figures?

Smithy

chris-h
27th Mar 2010, 16:12
Did you know that roughly half the price you pay on AVGAS consists of duty & VAT

Speaking to the bowser at Liverpool just last week he said its more like 75 percent

flybymike
27th Mar 2010, 17:20
Speaking to the bowser at Liverpool just last week he said its more like 75 percent

A talking Bowser? ;)

1800ed
27th Mar 2010, 19:05
Probably worth paying the high prices just to meet him :}

Rod1
27th Mar 2010, 20:02
A lot of GA aircraft can run on Mogas. Why not find out is yours is one of them?

Rod1

fuzzy6988
28th Mar 2010, 00:31
What's the figures?

I'm afraid I don't know the exact figures off the top of my head... It can probably be found on the HMRC website.

A and C
28th Mar 2010, 08:13
Two visits to Blackpool and that was enough to put me off for life.

Visit one in the Robin parked on an undulating bit of rough ground that had the makings of a prop strike, the security wanting to take all sorts of safety equipment away from us resulting in a lot of trouble and high fees.

Visit two in a Boeing 737-800, had to hold away from the ramp due to no parking spaces. This was due to the ramp workers who had very little idea of what how to load or unload aircraft. The push back that should take 2 or 3 Min took 20 min with two aircraft almost ending up on the grass. This was down to untrained tug drivers. The only upside was very helpfull ATC who informed me that the day before the ramp monkeys has dammaged the back end of an Airbus.

As I did not want to have a very new airliner at the mercy of these numptys I arranged with ATC to park the aircraft across two stands in a position that I could taxi away from without using the tug. The guy with the bats face was a picture when I just parked the Boeing in the spot that I wanted.

The local management were not very pleased with my parking and even less pleased when I let them know how I regarded management of this micky mouse airport.

Why am I not surprized when they try this sort of thing with the fuel invoicing when the management have demodstrated to me that they would have trouble running a welk stall?

Helen49
28th Mar 2010, 08:36
A&C

It would be difficult even to run a WHELK stall if the customers were as pompous and disrespectful as you!!

Did you try constructive comments or the formal reporting system to assist in making improvements, or did you merely slag them off?

Helen

A and C
28th Mar 2010, 08:55
Oh well I seem to have hit the spot! my two visits to Blackpool resulted in security trying to stop be flying with the correct safety equipment for an overwater flight, the showing on the second visit was so poor that the police were on the ramp watching the events with disbelief.

Disrespect on my part............yes I would agree with you on that but it is only as a result of the way things were run when had to use Blackpool airport.

The inabilty of your staff to safely push back airliners was the subject of an ASR at the time.

Helen49
28th Mar 2010, 09:31
I can assure you that I have no connection with Blackpool Airport!

Helen

The_Observer
28th Mar 2010, 10:53
Helen49, if you don't happen to be associated with the field, why so defensive? I would surmise from your tone that you're quite emotive about EGNH. Trust me, I'm very passionate about the airfield, I lived down Lytham road in its shadow for 23 years. As a small boy it was always my dream to learn to fly at EGNH. I managed that and some. I just don't like the money grabbing management that are destroying the place.

Ian Tyler must have an enormous smile on his face. Can you imagine how distressed Balfour Beatty would be if the airfield closed down. What would a construction firm do with all that wide open space? I cant imagine.

Flyingmac
28th Mar 2010, 11:56
I flew my wife into Blackpool as she wanted to go up the tower etc etc.
Got directed to park on the previously mentioned bit of rough grass, most of which was coned off as bad ground. Had the same concerns over prop strike. Got let out by the flying club entrance, caught a bus to the tower and saw the sights, had lunch and a wander about.

On our return we had to go the whole hog of security behind the SLF of a holiday charter flight and this was when the contents of my wife's bag were called into question. No amount of protesting that she was unlikely to hijack her husband at the point of a nailfile or blow us both out of the sky with other harmless objects carried any weight with the Jobsworths.
My wife's 'Tardis' now devoid of potentially lethal objects, we were allowed airside. I was then presented with a bill which included several hrs parking on the rough grass at £7.50 per hr plus VAT. I had no choice but to pay it, but they won't see me again.

Shunter
28th Mar 2010, 12:32
I am another of those who have been once and will never go back. ATC were very accommodating, but the rest of the experience was both unpleasant and unnecessary from start to finish.

Sir Niall Dementia
28th Mar 2010, 12:40
What grips me is that in the good old days you landed, parked, uplifted fuel and then paid in the refuellers shack. Now you land, park, uplift fuel and walk halfway across the airport to the admin portacabin where you will be lucky to find someone to pay, and when you do will be treated as an inconvienience by the office person concerned (last time I was there she was too busy arranging her social life to take the money and I was on a mighty tight schedule)

Strangely, when you land after 18:00 you land, park, uplift fuel and pay the very helpful bowser driver in the refuellers' shack.

I only go there when I'm flying for the company, and believe me if our ops could find somewhere else to send our aircraft in that area they would. Sadly we have a regular helo job into the town and are stuck with fuel at the airport.

moonym20
28th Mar 2010, 16:00
I've been to BPL a few times myself the most recent was during the summer last year.

ATC we very friendly, they allowed us to park on the tarmac near the fire hut. We were able to gain access land-side unmolested and all seemed to be going well. However when we came to return to the aircraft less than an hour later things started to get interesting.

We found ourselves going through 'security' in a little hut, in there were two security officers deep in conversation. I put my flight bag through the x-ray and wondered through the scanner which went off. The officer broke off his conversation to come and pat me down, he then noted the x-ray for my bag and removed my bottle of water (quite needed in a cockpit in the middle of summer) despite pointing to our ship which was literally parked outside their door my protest fell on deaf ears. The officer did however fail to notice my leatherman type device in the bottom of my bag :rolleyes:. The gentleman who was flying with me was subject to similar scrutiny.

My previous visit was nearly 5 years ago. When we landed then we were placed on the grass (which seemed to be in okay condition then). we wondered across the apron and were accosted by a Special Branch officer, he politely asked to see my credentials and showed us how to get land-side. The same gent met us on our return and with a smile opened the door air-side to our aircraft and left us to walk across the ramp unaided & unmolested.

- I do miss those days :ugh:

Needless to say BPL is a place we will try and avoid for now....

Capn Kangaroo
28th Mar 2010, 21:54
We've had a similar story last year with friends who came up for a weekend conference.

They ended up having to check all of their bags through as luggage, which were then sent through the conveyor system and dumped on the tarmac where they could then pick them up being air side and carry them to their bird.

At least at Ronaldsway (arrived in a Citation and didn't arrange handling through Manx Flyers) security met us at the information desk and took us airside through the staff entrance bypassing all checks ... ditto at Lydd ... just seems like Blackpool can't quite understand how to treat "Air Crew" when they own the plane themselves :(

It definitely makes more sense for airfields to have separate GA handling ... and even more so considering the costs they impose on us these days :(

FloaterNorthWest
29th Mar 2010, 12:27
Rather than go through the main airport for fuel and handling why not use Hangar 3/Pool Aviation;

Blackpool Airport Handling Blackpool Airport Hangar 3 FBO Blackpool (http://www.hangar3blackpool.com/)

Not sure of the costs involved.

I use Blackpool regularly so know where the holes are in the fence so don't need to go through the terminal. :}

Paul Bromley
29th Mar 2010, 22:10
I was at EGNH Saturday, no problems parked outside fire station, everyone very friendly paid fee in portacabin.

My observations - CHECK price at Pool Aviation !!!!!! unless it has altered since I last used them gulp !

Fence repaired, long way to Morrisons LOL.

airvole
1st Apr 2010, 14:24
£ 1.62 Per Litre Plus VAT at EGNH as of today

The man in charge of pricing is Mr Glyn Wright Telephone 01253 472 508
e-mail: [email protected]

I'm sure he would like to hear everbody's comments

MADTASS
1st Apr 2010, 15:57
Just out of interest, why not Fuel the Aircraft up to the nearest litre, that way you get what your exactly paying for, don"t give them a chance to round it up.
Secondly, come down to Newquay Airport, Cornwall instead, we have a New Hard Standing GA Park not far from the Tower, a friendly handling agent, Friendly Refuelling Team, to cater for your Refuelling needs from around 06:00 until very late and best of all, so long as you stay outside the Restricted Zone, (which you do) the Security is less Intrusive.

maxred
1st Apr 2010, 16:01
Yep concur with most stated here. We arrived back at the info desk, paid the landing fee, and told to go through first door on right marked aircrew. We walked through, the door on the left was literally three feet away, two security stated that we had come through the wrong door. You can imagine the conversation that then took place. (We should have come through the left door apparently as we 'are not aircrew'. We are Private. We were then asked to go back to INFO, because there were four of us, with only 1 hi-viz. Need to buy another one. Have not rushed back there:=:=

The_Observer
4th Apr 2010, 09:08
MADTASS, the problem is that you are unable to see the fuel pump while refuelling the aircraft alone.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
4th Apr 2010, 11:48
'All fuel transactions will be rounded UP to the next litre'

As somebody said, put in exactly what you pay for (i.e a whole figure) If you can't see the pump, park closer or get somebody to watch the numbers!!

Or, contact your Local Trading Standards Office and tell them that the Airport are dispensing fuel and charging you more for it than advertised..

Every time I've been to Blackpool (to fuel or go to NI), I've regretted it. Security are worse than anywhere else I've been in the UK, including Norwich! And the locality is a tip as well. Not much going for it really:rolleyes:

MADTASS
4th Apr 2010, 16:40
airvole

Crikey, that seems a lot for Avgas, spoke to Weston Aviation which is the Handling Agent at Newquay for GA Traffic and it is some 40 pence per litre cheaper, may have gone up slightly now owing to the Tax increase but so would have Blackpools.

If you can"t see the Meter, how do you put a set amount in owing to Weight issues or for whatever reason without making it a 2 man job.
Many, or i should say most of my Avgas Refuels that i do are for set amounts.

pasir
14th Apr 2010, 08:00
I appreiate this has no bearing on the Blackpool experiences but anyway here goes,
The most expensive fuel incident I experienced was in the days when
my 172j was parked in the open each night at Biggin Hill. I kept both wing tanks fully topped up as recommended to help avoid the dangers of water condensation contamination.

In this condition (tanks full) I naivly delivered the aircraft for its annual C of A overhaul - On collecting the a/c after completion (and a huge bill) I enquired 'what about my full tanks'. "Oh we had to empty the tanks in order to carry out pressure tests".

On another occasion I had flown into a private field in
Wales and on landing in the long grass went over a deep rut
that damaged the front wheel fairing. On returning to Biggin Hill
I had the same servicing company above remove the fairing - which the owner of the small engineering company retained - stating
"I'll put this in the corner it may do someone else a favour",

No prizes for guessing who would gain the most benefits
from his 'favour' !

PENNINE BOY
14th Apr 2010, 17:53
Blackpools fuel charges are a ripoff! :ugh:

Needed fuel yesterday, a quick phone call to Multiflight at LBA to enquire about potential malleting on charges ie Mandatory handling etc etc

Plesantly surprised! No landing fee or Handling fee! Avgas priced at £1.48 lt :D

So come on BPL ! Sorry Blackpool International! your big jet plans are sinking every day! so start getting back to previous times of GA activity and start offering reasonable charges and contract landing fees:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

flybymike
14th Apr 2010, 22:56
Needed fuel yesterday, a quick phone call to Multiflight at LBA to enquire about potential malleting on charges ie Mandatory handling etc etc

Plesantly surprised! No landing fee or Handling fee! Avgas priced at £1.48 lt

I have been flying out of Leeds for 27 years and find this quite literally, incredible.

Flyingmac
15th Apr 2010, 10:38
Flew into Leeds recently to drop off a ferry pilot at Multiflight. I didn't incur landing fee or handling charge either.

flybymike
15th Apr 2010, 23:27
This is clearly either a mistake, negligence, or outright favouritism by Multiflight who may be authorised by the airport to collect landing fees but have no authority to allow free landings (unless by private agreement they intend to pick up the tab themselves.) All movements will have been logged by ATC and invoices raised by the finance division for landings during the normal course of events. If Multiflight are dispensing with landing and handling fees for certain selected operators then I would like to renegotiate my £8000 pa hangarage and handling contract with them, and while I am on, also renegotiate my home based operator contract with the airport for all future landings to be FOC.

Bob Stinger
16th Apr 2010, 00:25
I flew in to leeds recently to see Multiflight , they waived the handling fee but I still had to pay the landing fee.

Fly-by-Wife
16th Apr 2010, 08:36
to drop off a ferry pilot

From what height? Might explain the lack of landing fee... :E

FBW