PDA

View Full Version : Some licence questions.

Soap Box Cowboy
25th Mar 2010, 21:07
Hi to all,

I've been rooting round the transport Canada website and CAR's to find the answers but don't really feel satisfied with what I found.

The first is in regards to logging P1 U/S I've looked at section four, standard 421 of the CAR's but this seems only to cover pilots working towards their ATPL.

The questions is as a pilot with an unrestricted ATPL flying on the ATR-42/72 as a co-pilot, how would I log the hours? Would all my hours flwon including those during which I conduct take-off, landing etc... go into my co-pilot colum or would I divide the time between the command and co-pilot colums.

The issue comes about when applying for jobs in overseas operators that follow the P1, P1 U/S and P2 system.

Would it be fair to say that 50% of my co-pilot times is P1 U/S since in my company flight duties or flying legs are shared equally between the two pilots.

I hope someone with some recent experience in this can help shed some light on the matter.

Also I would like to get my ATR-42/72 rating endorsed on my Canadian licence, but I've not been able to find the relevant section pertaining to this, can anyone point me in the right way? I've only so far come across a part saying that being rated as co-pilot on a foreign licence is not sufficient for an endorsment. And said pilot must first meet all Canadian type rating requirments. But I've so far failed to find the relevant section for these requirments.

Hope someone will be able to assist me.

SBC :ok:

kanin
26th Mar 2010, 01:26
I find that it is always safe to log ALL right seat time as SIC time (if the aircraft requires 2 crew) and left seat time as PIC ... after all, being in the left seat you make all the Final decisions... unless you are a checkairmen then all time could be logged as PIC. This is just the way I do it. One could always debate the regs ... I for one wouldn't want to be debating this issue in an interview.

As for transferring a Type. I am unaware of the specifics. I transferred my Type Rating (left seat). My 2 SIC types didn't transfer probably because TC doesn't recognize SIC types (the checkrides aren't complete type rides).

Hope this helps,

K

ajet32
26th Mar 2010, 01:51
For the type rating you would need a training record and a ride report. A friend of mine who flew the MD11 in Taipei got it on his Canadian Lic and need the above and at the time $60 for the endorsement. The fee may have increased but that is usually what you need.

As for the logging of time. If you qualify as a P1 or Captain then you may be able to log some time from the right seat if the company has an approved PIC under supervision program as defined by Transport Canada. otherwise you can only log it as P2 or SIC as we all do here if we are qualified as First officers even if we do all the flying on a leg from the right seat.

In Canada if you fly a large 2 pilot greater than 12,500 pound airplane requiring 2 crew you need an endorsement on the licence regardless of which seat you fly from.

rigpiggy
26th Mar 2010, 12:47
Unless your name goes in the log as PIC, you log SIC