View Full Version : Qatar Amiri Flight Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2

safelife
25th Mar 2010, 07:15
Maybe something for exhausted EK guys?

Quite certain they won't roster you for 90 hrs a month...

http://www.interpersonal.de/amiri

wessel_words
25th Mar 2010, 07:37
Depends if they are in pocession of a pair of white gloves. ;)

Sheet House Rat
25th Mar 2010, 18:31
Followed the link, but it provides no real details. Is this better pursued via PM??
Thanks,
SHR

Payscale
25th Mar 2010, 18:53
If anyone has details please post or PM me.
Thanks

mile low
26th Mar 2010, 14:37
8000 hours total,1000 hours command on Airbus....it is all to find under the web side of www.interpersonal.de (http://www.interpersonal.de), they are doing the selection process.

flynhigh
26th Mar 2010, 15:32
Anyone has any info on the pay and days OFF or is it same T&C as Qatar Mainline. Thanks ..

Payscale
27th Mar 2010, 05:56
I know. I can read too, but I was thinking for more of salary, accommodation and benefits, rosters.. anyone?

mckagel
27th Mar 2010, 13:27
Here are some details of the package:

Basic monthly salary: 28,500 Qrs.
+ Nature of Duty Allowance: 20% of basic salary per month
+ Amiri Premium Allowance: 25% of basic salary per month
+ Fixed Flying Allowance: 8,400 Qrs.
+ Housing Allowance: 12,000 Qrs. or Company provided Housing
+ Transport Alowance: 1,500 Qrs

Other benefits:
Per diems
Medical insurance for whole family
Life insurance: 300,000 Qrs. for the employee
Loss of Licence: 100,000 USD
School fees for up to 80,000 Qrs annually for up to two kids
Annual leave tickets for whole family - First class - twice a year
42 days annual leave
12 hard days off per year
14 days annual sick leave on full pay plus 28 days annual sick leave on half pay; sick leave cannot be carried over
pilots will be "on call" 24/7 when you are not on either annual leave or a hard day off.

The Exchange Rate is fixed. ie : 1 USD = 3,64 Qrs.

Doesn`t sound too bad, if you ask me :O

CaptainProp
27th Mar 2010, 15:55
No, for airbus its looks ok-ish, but to ask for 8000 hrs, 1000 on type and offering a package worth 13.000 euro, all incl, for the GLEX, on a 24/7 "on call" schedule its simply not enough I think.

Harlem
27th Mar 2010, 16:12
Captain Prop, I agree with you. To ask that experience and for a VVIP Ops flying a big iron, IMHO isn´t too much.

Amiri01
27th Mar 2010, 16:23
A320 pilots are doing around 500 hours per year, other fleets slightly less.
Compound accommodation is 3/4 bedroom villas and is good quality (not so flash area but close to a major mall, Villagio, and to some British/American schools). The compound facilities are not yet finished but are scheduled to be done so by September, so pools, clubhouse, gym, restaurant etc will be available then.

There is no scope to commute because of the 24/7 standby, 311 days per year (365 less 42 days leave and 12 days off). No rosters, just wait for the sms, generally the day before a flight but occasionally a call to be at the airport in 1 hour. When told it's for one night, pack for a month as things are prone to change.

Destinations are varied, worldwide, including on the A320 fleet.

Morale is generally good, flight deck and cabin crew generally get on well.

It is (in my opinion) a good job. Doha itself has its moments, the traffic/drivers probably being the biggest headache for everyday life. Legal alcohol is available through the single liquor outlet, albeit a bit more expensive than you might expect. The supermarkets stock many western items. Carrefour is at a few of the malls. You can get Marks and Spencer chocolates at M&S! Most British and American Schools are of a good standard. Petrol is cheap at USD.25c per litre. Second hand cars can be very cheap because of the turnover of expatriates. Its hot, over 40 degress celsuis around 6 months of the year. It sits on 45 degrees most days in the area of the company compound. You get used to it. There is a Rugby Club nearby for some social interaction at a bar, while watching some live rugby (not a high standard but fun to watch). Garveys, while no longer a pub, is nearby and has a squash court, gym and old pool, as well as serving reasonably priced pub type food. Membership cost is quite low to use the facilities.

Good luck to those that apply.

Amiri01
27th Mar 2010, 16:36
CP and Harlem, you are both right. Unfortunately, the basis for the salary package was set a long time ago when the USD was stronger. Now with the weak USD (with the QAR being pegged to the USD), the package is not so good if you are currently being paid in Euros.

Bear in mind that for the GLEX pilots, you are one of six who is on 24/7 standby, not 1 of 2 or 3 that you might be with the operator that pays a lot of Euros. The legitimate tax free status also helps.

So at the end of the day, it may suit those who are currently being paid in USD and not so for the Euro guys.

However, it would certainly be nice for the package to be reviewed and improved!

Iver
27th Mar 2010, 17:56
Hey Amiri01,

Thank you for your great information you have shared. A few questions for you:

1. Are most pilots on their fleets already typed on those aircraft when hired (i.e., A320 type for A320 and CL300 type for that aircraft)?

2. Do the Amiri pilots get the option to transfer over to the airline if desired and vice versa?

3. Once you are hired onto one aircraf type, do you get the ability to bid other aircraft (i.e, from CL605 to the A320/A330) in the Amiri fleet?

4. What is the deal with the C-17s? Are they the most coveted aircraft in the fleet or is it viewed no differently than the other types? Personally, that would be my choice if ever given the option. But that's just me... :ok:

Cheers

JCUERVO
27th Mar 2010, 19:01
I there ANY chance for an F.O. position with Amiri flight at this point? and if so what are the requirements?

Amiri01
27th Mar 2010, 19:42
I believe the intention is to take RATED CAPTAINS only. There will be no F/Os and this is supported by the statement on the recruiting agencies website.

The Amiri Flight has nothing to do with Qatar Airways, other than on a 3rd party provider basis. They are two totally separate entities so no transfer between either parties is possible.

The C17 is not part of the Amiri Flight operation.

Transfer between fleets within the Amiri Flight generally does not occur, but I believe the policy on this is not fixed. Given that the salary is identical, regardless of what aircraft you fly, there is no financial incentive to move fleets, nor would there be much company incentive to do so as it would be an unnecessary cost burden.

The CL300 and CL605 belong to Qatar Executive which is a commercial operation and is part of Qatar Airways and has nothing to do with the Amiri Flight.

The Amiri Flight is an entirely private operation. It is advertised as an "Airline" on the recruiting website, but it is purely a private operation.

Check 'Six'
27th Mar 2010, 22:48
Dear Mckagel and Amiri 01,

Thank you both for the information.:ok:

Medical insurance for self and family:

Is it worldwide?

Up to what amounts?

Age limit coverage for children?(whereby after that age, they are no longer covered)

Dental?

School Fees:

80,000 for 2 kids? is that enough?

Per diems? Daily fixed rate at outstation? How much is it or varies for destination? Paid up front at hotel or end of the month in salary?

Standard of hotels at destinations?

Staff travel?

Any good golf clubs around? Expensive?

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Cheers

Check 'Six':)

moredrag
2nd Apr 2010, 10:27
Thanks Mckagel, Amiri01 :)

Have they started calling job applicants?

Shaman
11th Apr 2010, 23:32
Anyone had any response at all from Interpersonal? Are the positions still open?

moonchaser
13th Apr 2010, 14:25
Amiri01

Can life be planned at all or do you lead one life and your family plan things with the view that you might disappear at any moment?

If all the aircraft are out of State, does that mean you are 'off call' and can kick back until one returns?

Amiri01
13th Apr 2010, 16:14
Moonchaser,

You certainly make plans with the family, but there is always the possibility that you might not be there on the day. It is part and parcel of the life here but everyone is used to it so I never hear anyone complaining. Friends understand that you might have to pull the plug on an engagement at late notice.

As you say, the only time you are fairly safe is when all the jets in your fleet are out of country. You can then feel fairly comfortable with taking a drive into the dunes or across the other side of the country (only an hour away anyway).

A lot of staff still take their chances and pop down to the inland sea anyway and I haven't heard of anyone getting caught out. Likewise with having a beer in the evening. Technically, you are still on call so having an ale over dinner presents a small risk. That said, not that many short notice calls come up.

If people reading this want a roster and known days off, don't bother applying as you won't like it here.

If you don't mind being on call 24/7 and enjoy the spontaneity of new and varied destinations, with a fairly low annual flying rate, then consider it.

If you come, don't expect a perfect operation. The split from Qatar Airways last year removed some of the shackles on the operation, but it is taking time to implement the improvements that everyone was anticipating. There is still a way to go and whatever skills and expertise that come with new hires would be welcome.

It will suit some and not others. Horses for courses as they say. Bear in mind that the customs and cultures of the region apply to this operation, as to any other, so a measure of patience is needed. If you get frustrated or angry easily, this region may not suit.

Going back to some of Check Sixes questions, the medical insurance for family is quite comprehensive and most of us consider it adequate. It does not cover the USA, except as transients. It does not cover dental nor maternity, but having a child in the local system is not too expensive. I believe that children are covered up until their 18th birthday.

School fees (QAR80,000 for 2 kids) is adequate for 2 primary school children, but won't cover 2 x secondary school students at the typical expat schools (The American School of Doha, Doha College, Park House School, Doha English Speaking School). Check their websites, all the fees are listed so you can see for yourself. There can be problems getting kids into the school you want as positions are limited. That said, the American and British schools are of a good standard so don't worry about that aspect.

Per diems are paid on the first sector ex-Doha and are adequate. Hotels are generally good, with the occasional let-down.

There are no staff travel benefits at all as we are a private operation with no commercial benefits to reciprocate to airlines.

The Golf Club in Doha is popular with another course to be built in the near future. I don't know about membership costs but visitor fees are around USD100ish (I believe) for a round. The Rugby Club is popular (for the booze as much as anything else) and the social games are fun to be a part of or watch.

I don't know whether applicants have been contacted yet but we need people very soon so I would anticipate things will happen soon.

I hope this helps.

nautor
21st Apr 2010, 17:56
hi Amiri01,

I have to go to FRA in may for the Amiri screening, do you have some informations about it.

tks in advance

nautor

Check 'Six'
21st Apr 2010, 20:23
Thanks Amiri for your response.

Appreciate it.

Cheers

Check Six

OLD BMA MAN
11th May 2010, 16:39
Hi Amiri01

Thanks for all the information, do you have any info on the Head of Ground Operations? Is it still available have they started interviewing?
Is it worth the move with an 11 year old son?

thanks for any information you may have

Old BMA Man

Dragon 83
11th May 2010, 21:31
I also applied late Apr but only received an acknowledgment email and uploaded my files, nothing since. I'm not sure if no recent response infers
any good or bad news. I am an older guy with lots of experience but over age 60 so perhaps that's why.

Shaman
12th May 2010, 06:15
Dragon 83,

ditto.

Amiri01
12th May 2010, 17:26
The first round of interviews/screening is complete but they are happening on a frequent basis, every 10 days I believe.
Of the six who attended the first round, 3 have been successful and will be joining the A320 fleet. There are still plenty of positions available on both A320 and A330 so don't despair if you haven't yet been contacted. I have no idea how efficient the recruiting company is in responding to applications but I can only hope that they are expeditious with their acknowledgements. I know how frustrating it can be wondering whether a company has actually received your application or not.
I have spoken with 2 of the 3 who were successful at the first round. They indicated that the day long process was quite demanding with all the aptitude/tech/psychometric testing etc, By the time they came to their sim check at the end of the day, they were pretty tired. Full credit to those that managed to get through.
Since being notified of their success last week, they have visited Doha to check out accommodation, schools (that will be the tough one to work out as positions are tough to get in the acceptable British/American schools) and to look at Doha in general. I haven't spoken with them since their visit about their impressions so I can't say what a first timer to Doha thinks.
As I understand it, there have been many applications for the Airbus positions but very few for the Global Express positions so if there are any Global pilots out there, this could be an opportunity.
I do not know if there is a "preferred" age range so I cannot provide any guidance on that. If you are more "senior", give it a go and test the system.
I have not been able to find more info on the Ops position but I will endeavour to do so and post what I can get. It is a newly established position and I believe it will be responsible for organising the ground handling side of things.
Good luck to all.

Dragon 83
12th May 2010, 21:28
Thanks Amiri01 for those insightful posts. I have worked in QR previously so well aware of living conditions. I have also worked VIP Ops before also and it has different but interesting challenges. I would like to fly out my career and not be forced out so will persevere.

Cheers!

OLD BMA MAN
13th May 2010, 08:44
Hi Amiri01

That is great thank you for the information, I'll keep watching this space!

OBM

Shaman
13th May 2010, 11:05
Amiri01,

There are a few pilots on Pprune who are genuinely helpful -thank you very much indeed for being one of them.

dcsagcs
20th May 2010, 05:45
Amiri01,

First of all, thanks a lot for your attention and explanations!

Just one more question: I have gotten that there isn`t a pattern of rostering for pilots... But could you give me an idea about how many days a captain on A320 should expect to stay at home per year???
Regards,
:)

Amiri01
20th May 2010, 08:29
To address a couple of outstanding issues, firstly, the Head of Ground Operations will be responsible for the ground handling aspects of the operation. He will have 5 staff on the ramp in Doha, mainly supervising the subcontracted ground handling services, but also to assist with the services using our own equipment. He will also have 5 office staff who will ensure that all ground handling services outside Doha are organised correctly and are suitable. He will monitor the performance of external ground handling suppliers to ensure the best standard of service is given to our operation.

Regards the A320 fleet, I am estimating that the average number of overnights per month per pilot would be around 5 - 7. That said, we just had one crew away for around 3 weeks. The flying rates are inconsistent and unpredictable. You might do 15 hours and one overnight one month then 90 hours and 15 overnights the next. With the new aircraft arriving, I do not know the anticipated utilisation for these aircraft. The 320 fleet has been one of the hardest worked during the last few years, so it will be interesting to see how the arrival of new aircraft affects overall utilisation.

OLD BMA MAN
20th May 2010, 11:35
Hi Amiri01

Thanks again, that is pretty much what I am doing now, so lets see if I get a response from the agency

OBM

Dragon 83
20th May 2010, 18:31
Any feedback as to progress with A330 skippers as most of the discussion refers to A320 ops? Thanks.

Bahraingeneric
21st May 2010, 13:54
I just applied.

Got email with std response as well as one from someone
stating they are still loooking for 330 captains!

good Luck

Dragon 83
21st May 2010, 17:48
OK thanks, well I applied 3 wks back for the 330 with only standard feedback.

And so it goes.

Amiri01
21st May 2010, 20:05
I can't be certain but I suspect that the priority for recruiting has been for A320 pilots due to the impending arrival of the A320s. I don't think the A330 applicants need to be too concerned that they have not yet heard anything due to this prioritisation.
I shall try to get an update next week on the A330 side of things.

commander747
24th May 2010, 12:59
amiri 01
wondering about the truth of whether is impossible to move over to the amiri flight if presently employed by QR

Amiri01
24th May 2010, 14:04
Commander747.
I am privy to neither the policy, nor the politics but I am aware that a number of "suitable" local and expatriate current QR pilots have expressed an interest in joining the Amiri Flight and have not yet been interviewed. This may be coincidence as many "suitable" non-QR applicants have also not yet been invited for interview, but in short, I can't answer your question with any authority. Sorry...

safelife
24th May 2010, 20:09
For those who will be invited, the person behind likes the B744 Sim in FRA.
I wouldn't be surprised if he screens pilots on that one.
Might be an Airbus Sim for Airbus guys though.

condorbaaz
5th Jul 2010, 13:46
Amiri 01, i applied for A330 capt post. recruiting agency turned me down and instead offered to me Global Express with type training by the company.

Do you know if there is any difference in the salaries of the fleets due to ac type?

Thanks

Enecosse
5th Jul 2010, 20:55
There is no difference.

Shaman
6th Jul 2010, 07:26
recruiting agency turned me down
At least you got a response! At the end of next week, it will have been three months since I sent off my application with the standard acknowledgement and with no response to my subsequent enquiries.

Should I take heart from this (rhetorical question)?

Amiri01
7th Jul 2010, 19:04
The salaries are identical, regardless of what aircraft type you fly. There is no distinction between an A340 Captain or a Global Express Captain. A Captain is a Captain.

This is one of the reasons that there is very little movement between fleets. There is no financial incentive to move from a "smaller" to a "larger" aircraft.

You basically just try to get on the type that you like flying, whether it is the aircraft itself or the type of flying that that aircraft type does, ie short haul, long haul, m.85 at 45000' or M.78 at 33000', big crew, small crew, load the bags yourself or have someone do it for you etc.

Someone with Airbus time (and possibly no bizjet time) is very fortunate to get the opportunity on the Global because a number of well qualified bizjet pilots have applied and have been unsuccessful. You should enjoy it if you take the job, assuming you dont mind not having a roster and being on 24/7 call etc.

I don't know the status of the recruiting situation as of late but I don't think its finished yet. I'll find out what I can.

Cheers.

OLD BMA MAN
10th Jul 2010, 11:11
Hi Amiri01

I have still not heard anything from the agency about this position either.
Anything you could find out would be good

Thanks OBM

Amiri01
10th Jul 2010, 14:23
Hi OBM,

The Ops Control Centre is still undergoing a reorganisation so there has been no movement on the Ops Manager position. I understand that it will progress when there is a clear definition of the role.

I have heard that the timeframe is supposed to be within a month for the completion of the re-org but ...

The situation is understandably frustrating for those who have applied, but hang in there...

Cheers,

Amiri01

OLD BMA MAN
10th Jul 2010, 20:23
Hi Amiri01

Thanks very much, I was begining to think I had missed the boat!

OBM

condorbaaz
12th Jul 2010, 11:42
thanks amiri

coco-nuts
13th Jul 2010, 22:08
Crikey, 3 days notice to get to Frankfurt from Oz.....madness.
Have tried for a reschedule, was told that i would be given a heads up for any August interviews...hmmm..... 2 months since putting my application in.

Wador
4th Nov 2010, 16:12
Hi there, I wonder if you would be able to help with some info.
Once you have been through the interview it seems that you have to wait until a security check is done and then ???
If you happend to know how the process works it would most appreciate it.
Cheers:ok:

baron581
11th Nov 2010, 17:01
Hi, how did the interview process go?? Are they looking for Captains

OLD BMA MAN
15th Nov 2010, 16:03
Hi Amiri01

I don't suppose the ops reorganisation has happened?
Are they still looking for staff? etc etc etc

thanks

OBM

Amiri01
15th Nov 2010, 18:18
Hi again OBM. I believe the ops review is done and that short-listed candidates for the Grd Ops Manager position will be contacted after the Eid break so possibly as soon as next week.

B581, we are only recruiting Captains as far as I know. With the retention of the A310, that policy may have changed but if so, I am not aware of it.

To those that have pm'd, I will get back to you shortly.

Cheers,

Amiri01

baron581
16th Nov 2010, 05:13
Thanks I sent you a PM when U have time.

OLD BMA MAN
27th Nov 2010, 08:46
Hi Amiri01

Guess what, I got an e-mail telling me I had made it to the short list!

Thanks for all your help

OBM

Mister Warning
27th Nov 2010, 14:21
Good luck old man. Hope to see you soon.
MW.

OLD BMA MAN
29th Nov 2010, 19:04
If the thanks are for me,then thank you, lets see if I get there first!

OBM

Amiri01
30th Nov 2010, 04:49
Congratulations OBM. All the best for the interview process. If you are successful, I hope it meets your expectations!

pahwa1989
30th Nov 2010, 04:59
HELLO
how to apply in it? ny1!!

OLD BMA MAN
30th Nov 2010, 07:33
Oh Dear, that sounds ominous!
Well, nothing ventured nothing gained

OLD BMA MAN
2nd Feb 2011, 09:13
Interview had, lets see how lucky I am!

non0
19th Feb 2011, 15:01
Hey Old Man any news?

OLD BMA MAN
22nd Feb 2011, 18:58
Second interview yesterday! hopefully I'll find out in the next 10 days!

This is for the head of Ground Ops though, not for a flying position

OBM

LNAV VNAV -
18th Jun 2011, 18:14
I got a telephone from the agency telling me that I made a small mistake in my A320 Captain application but that other than that, all was ok with it.

I suppose I will be called for a selection sometime soon. I read the post in the beginning of the thread but can anyone tell me more specifically about the selection process:

a) is there technical testing on the A320 or is the technical test about general ATPL knowledge?
b)Is the sim test on the A320 and is it LOFT type or general handling / stick and rudder style? (I am asking because I saw in the agency's site that A320 rating is prefered but not a requirement)
c)Is there Pilapt style testing?
d)Is there a group exercise

Thanks

42000ft
19th Jun 2011, 13:08
Hi there,

I have an interview coming soon with Qatar Amiri.
I realised Qatar Amiri now works under the Diwan and not Qatar Airways anymore.
Could anyone give me some info about what it is like to work for Qatar Amiri flight? Work environment for crew and in the office, new management etc.

PM me if you prefer.

ALAN BENJO
10th Jul 2011, 16:24
Hello guys , im new here . Im a flight attendant , is there any news about the recruitment for amiri ?? Any new for the package salary for a cabin crew ??

Thank you for your time

styagi
11th Aug 2011, 10:08
Hello Everybody!
Can some one give me a piece of information regarding opening in Amiri's support divions (Engg. Quality). There were vacancies in engg. quality. are these vacancies are still open or already closed.

Thanks.

binibini
22nd Aug 2011, 22:17
Hello everybody! I have an interview coming up soon with Qatar Amiri. Any general information about interview process will be very much appreciated. Many thanks!

Lady O
16th Sep 2011, 18:29
hi...
I have an interview coming up soon with Qatar Amiri as flight Attendant, Any general information about interview process will be very much appreciated and what kind of question they will ask... Pay n Conditions.
Many thanks!
please...

Iver
17th Sep 2011, 02:53
Did Old BMA Man get the job???? Don't keep us hanging!

Lady O
17th Sep 2011, 12:05
hi...
I have an interview coming up soon with Qatar Amiri as flight Attendant, Any general information about interview process will be very much appreciated and what kind of question they will ask... Pay n Conditions.
Many thanks!
please...:)[/QUOTE]

OLD BMA MAN
21st Sep 2011, 09:08
Hi Iver,

yes I did, I have been here now for approx 2 months and I am enjoying it !

OBM

Amiri01
27th Sep 2011, 17:10
Hi all pilots,

I just spoke with the CP last week and the operation still desperately needs A320/330/340 captains.

Mods, I don't now whether this post could be construed as advertising but I hope my advice can help some pilots secure a decent job. Just delete it if my post contravenes any guidelines.

If you have over 8000 hours total including at least 5000 hours in command with some on the Airbus, pm me and I'll see if I can get some hopefulls seen. If you don't have these numbers, please don't clog my inbox!

BTW, we have recently recruited from all over the globe including Brits from the majors, Aussies, Kiwis, French, Italians, Eastern European etc. and as far as I know, the "new recruits" are happy with their choice to come. I guess this is a positive reflection on the operation.

Cheers,

Amiri01

woodja51
28th Sep 2011, 11:19
Hi,

Got 15000 total hours, 10000 heavy jet, 5500 330/340 with about 3000 command, 3000 current command 777...but not current 330/340.1000 707 and ex military qfi and VIP fleet trainer ..(PMs popes the Queen etc ).

What is the package on offer... Currently Ek captain so has to beat that ...
PM me for a CV if you like,

Thanks

MW:ok:

Amiri01
29th Sep 2011, 05:34
Rumour from our last EK captain to join is that the Amiri package is better (rumour only) and he is very happy to have made the move (fact).

If you can live with "sleepy" Doha and be comfortable with being on call 24/7 and fly to ad-hoc destinations anywhere in the world, then you could be happy here. I am not aware of any of our current expat pilots who aren't happy here and I don't think any have regretted the move.

Cheers,

Amiri01

wonnafly
5th Oct 2011, 15:22
Hi guys
did someone of you have some news about the recruitment for ccm position :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:???
thank you :ok:

KANELA
9th Oct 2011, 20:27
hello everyone
anyone of you have interview as cabin crew with amiri soon?

cloudbasher60
1st May 2012, 01:15
I am now invited for selection for QR Airways main line. It took awhile after my application, about 3 months, but they came through with invitation. I have NO idea what I would fly but first, hope to get pass the process and get a job offer. A friend of mine there says he really likes it and encouraged me to apply so I did. Sure, they have brand new planes but what amazes me is how low the salary is to fly for a major carrier. I mean, even 11k a month is not very good for captain, and more so for wide body captain. Anyway, will give it a go and see what happens.

The today, I got a call from agent about Amiri flight asking if I was intereted for the A320 and I said yes. One guy hit it on the head when he said if you dont have another job, then give this a go and I need a job so soon I will know if I get invited to this as well. Not to sound like a whiner, but once again, the pay is poor for this kind of position. I know a guy who flies in ME on A320 who makes 15K US tax free per month, and rotates 1 month in and 1 month out, with all the trimmings. Now this is more like it but not many of these around. I think at least 15K is more like it, or even higher. I mean us x pats go away from our homes to do a job for them and they have tons of money, and yet we get paid low wages for this type of work. And then to be on stanby around the clock, forget going our for a night on the town for some serious beers. So, I see drawbacks to this operation in a few ways, but I need a job and if offered, likely take it.

Aussie
1st May 2012, 10:09
Thanks for sharing your lifestory with us mate... :E

gdukkoq
1st May 2012, 10:24
You just wasted our time, you will never pass the interview anyway...:mad:

Amiri01
1st May 2012, 14:18
Cloudbuster, if you get invited for screening with Amiri, don't bother pm'ing me for information.

We have pilots from many areas including ex-big name national carrier pilots and all are happy with their lot (as far as I know) and enjoy the operation. The conditions/pay are nowhere near as bad as you think. The 30-40 hours we fly each month is very comfortable and offers a decent home life without the fatigue that airline operations can sometimes induce.

Good luck with your QR interview!

Amiri01
2nd May 2012, 05:47
With the interest being displayed for the Amiri Flight, both visibly on this thread but through many pm's to me, I shall update the information as best I can.

Firstly, the package. Unfortunately, I cannot pass details of the full package on a public forum (my masters would have me!). Interpersonal, the recruiting agency for Amiri are allowed to provide what information they have. If you apply, ask them for specifics.

However, in general terms, the package consists of a basic salary, an "on-call" allowance, accommodation allowance, furniture allowance, transport allowance, 6 weeks annual leave and 12 requestable days off throughout the year (no other days off as such, just the 24/7 standby), medical/dental insurance, annual leave tickets for family. Conditions are exactly the same regardless of your fleet (so A340 pilots get the same as the A320 pilots etc.) Conditions are much better than at QR.

At the moment, most new hires will normally join on to the A320 fleet, but that policy is flexible. Progression to the A330/340 happens when vacancies arise.

On the A320 fleet, you can expect to fly anywhere in the world. Monthly flying rate on the A320 fleet probably averages between 30-40 hours, maybe a bit more for some. However, the flying rate is not consistent. It is a little "seasonal" and is also impacted by training commitments where pilots undergoing line training get priority so as to get them on speed as quickly as possible.

We normally fly co-Captain and one of the captains gets allocated the "Admin Captain" role and he is responsible for the administrative side of the flight such as settling the hotel bill etc. You decide amongst yourself who flies what sectors. We generally either go sector for sector, or sometimes day for day so we don't have to keep adjusting the seats. The system works fine and most are comfortable changing their role from PIC to support pilot. If you feel the need to be in charge the whole time, you won't fit in.

There are decent per diems for each flight you go on. We stay in nice hotels, there is no scrimping there. On the A320 fleet, you may average perhaps 5 night stops per month plus a few day trips thrown in. That said, you might end up on a 20 day world tour where you are away 20 days on the trot, but that is rare. There is no roster, you will just get an sms the day before the trip to warn you of it. Occasionally, there are scrambles to get airborne as quickly as possible but these are rare (on the 320 at least).

The operation as a whole works fairly well. It is still being developed and is heading in the right direction.

The screening process (as I understand it) consists of technical and psychometric testing, followed by a sim ride if successful with the tests, followed by an interview with Amiri management. From those that have gone through it, they said it's a looong day so be as well rested as possible.

As far as I know, applicants who have Airbus time but are not necessarily current are being invited for screening, so if you have 3000 hours PIC A320 but 10 years ago, you are still considered favourably.

I hope that helps answer some of the questions.

Cheers,

Amiri01

PS Please note that this is my take on things, not any official advice so please don't take the information I have passed as being 100% correct. The recruiting company should be in a position to clarify anything.

UAE FD
2nd May 2012, 11:08
Amiri 01, Any openings for experienced Flight dispatchers?

FD

Amiri01
2nd May 2012, 12:44
Yes, Flight Dispatchers are still required. I believe they are also recruited through Interpersonal in Germany.

clear3
4th May 2012, 14:25
Thanks AM01, great stuff mate!

c3

Deep and fast
4th May 2012, 15:40
Are the global express guys happy and any vacancies?

Amiri01
4th May 2012, 18:56
Yes, Global pilots all happy. Two vacancies were just filled to cover retirements with no vacancies in the foreseeable future.

Bigkeith
5th May 2012, 21:27
can anyone tell me what the package is for a flight security officer i have over 12 years aviation security background with many years spent working overseas

cant seem to find any details anywhere

Flyingstig
5th May 2012, 22:47
Amiri01. A very comprehensive and informative posting. Thank you.
However, you make no reference to an age limit!

My understanding is that there is a limit and latest figure is 55!
Would you care to elaborate?
Stig

Amiri01
6th May 2012, 18:57
Hi Stig,

I don't believe that there is an age "policy" as such. What I do know is that with the limitations on pilots aged 60 and over not being able to fly together, that management need to manage the recruiting at various times to ensure a spread of ages so that in the future, there is not a bunch of 60+yo pilots who can't fly together.

Consequently, it would seem that for the last couple of years, there has been a preference for the 35-50 yo age bracket.

However, I understand that there have been a number of pilots aged over 50 that have been invited for screening later this month, so the more "mature" applicants are now being more positively considered.

All I can say really is throw your hat in the ring. If you meet the experience and qualification requirements but still do not get an invitation for screening, then possibly you fall outside the "preferred" age range for that particular recruiting drive.

Sorry I can't be more specific but management will decide the age range preference and I am unlikely to be able to get that information to pass on.

Amiri01

Bigkeith
6th May 2012, 20:23
hi Amiri 01

would you know what the package is for the flight security officer been trying to find out with no joy this end ?

Flyingstig
6th May 2012, 20:35
Thanks Amiri!
Aforementioned hat already in the ring!
Cheers Stig.

granmabaker
7th May 2012, 06:27
The computer test includes Aviation Knowledge + Airbus tech gen(Airbus guys).Any information on books to read,type of test,length of test...Thank you..

Gforce777
8th May 2012, 06:23
Amiri01
I think everyone appreciates the amount of information you've posted. Thank you.
I've worked through the Amiri vs EK benefits and it's a close run race. Amiri is alot more 'cash in hand' but with the downside of not being able to plan your life due to those 'spontaneous texts' you mentioned. EK, if you've served 10 years or more, is 15-20% less each month, but you would have accrued a sizeable prov fund and seniority dictates a planning lifestyle.
The EK guy you mentioned, left here a couple of years ago because he was hocked up to his eyes in bad debt and prioritized the Amiri money over his family. Each to their own but he may not be a reliable source to work on.

We don't hear of any Royal flight guys bitching, so you've either got a great life, or very understanding wives.

GF

Amiri01
8th May 2012, 12:50
GF

You've hit the nail on the head with two very important issues with the Amiri job, that is the lack of a "planning lifestyle" due to the 24/7 standby and the "understanding wives" issue and these issues need to be considered closely for those considering the move.

Those that prefer to know that they can plan a dinner party (insert any commitment here) next Friday night without being called out could struggle a little with the uncertainty. Typically, for those of us here, we plan for the dinner party next Friday night, but even with non-aviation friends, there is always the proviso that the dinner party may have to be cancelled at the last minute, or the host may not be present... Everyone understands the situation so if you need to cancel, it's not a reflection on you personally.

There are difficulties when planning things such as medical appointments or birthday parties for the kids etc, because Dad may not be available on the day to take the kid to the doctor or supervise the party, leaving Mum to shoulder the burden. Mums need to be tolerant in this respect. It is the day to day family routines that get a bit mucked up with the uncertainty of Dad's work.

Doha can be a shock to the system for the family, as well as how the "system" is here in Qatar. Again, a wife who can get through the settling in pains is a must. If the wife isn't happy (and we get the occasional one that finds the transition too difficult but that is probably more Doha related than Amiri related), then that will create problems.

I think our wives are actually shocked that we get so much time at home! That said, I'm sure all wives have the occasional dummy spit when we get called out to fly and can't make it to juniors 3rd birthday party...

I am generally able to honour most commitments but certainly by no means all of them.

Everyone needs to be aware that in Amiri, there is definitely no scope for commuting, which is possible with EK for example. With Amiri, you either have your family in Doha with you, or see them rarely (during your 6 weeks leave or when they get a vacation in Doha to visit you).

For those in EK who might be considering a change, the EK provident fund is certainly a better system than our end of service benefit which is negligible in comparison.

I personally think it's a great life, but an understanding wife helps!

I hope this extra feedback helps those considering.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Comanche
12th May 2012, 19:30
Reference the package, are the twice a year tickets for the family to anywhere in the world? My wife would want to see her family in Latin America at least once a year. Not sure what the rules are regarding destinations and whether or not the whole family must all travel together or do they give you some flexibility?

Also, once you are hired, can you be easily fired? Is the company culture more relaxed than Qatar Airways?

Amiri01
13th May 2012, 06:41
Hi Comanche,

I'm not sure that I can provide specifics about the Annual Leave Ticket policy. Once again, the recruiting company will provide details as much as they can should you ask them.

I guess what I can say is that there is scope within the Annual Leave Ticket entitlement for members of your family to travel anywhere/anytime. So on Monday, you can go to Paris, in July your wife could head off to Latin America and in August, your kids could go to Honolulu, all within the scope of your entitlement.

As for firing people, this is the Middle East so anything can be done and with no reason nor explanation. However, none have been fired during my tenure here and I believe that current management would avoid as much as possible laying off pilots, should the fleet size decrease (unlikely in the next few years).

The company culture is certainly very different from QR. Here, you are allowed to get on with your job with minimal interference and you don't need to be constantly looking over your shoulder. On the whole (and this is quite often a personal thing as well), there is generally a good relationship between Flight Deck crew and Cabin crew so no worries in that respect.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Comanche
13th May 2012, 14:15
Thanks for the info. It sounds like this job has a lot of potential and ticks many of the boxes, I will apply. My only concern is the school waiting lists for September, a bit of a pain if we want our kids to go to the Doha College or British Schools. Not sure what happens with kids that arrive too late to get a place, I read on some forum that some kids end up getting home schooling until a place becomes available, not ideal really.

Amiri01
13th May 2012, 15:56
Getting kids into the preferred school here is one of the big headaches when you get here. The British Schools are:

Doha College
Doha English Speaking School (Primary only)
Sherbourne
Park House
Doha British School (ex-Doha Montessori)
Newton School
and there's another new but expensive one whose name I can't recall.

The American School has a very good reputation but of course uses the American curriculum. I have mates whose kids go there and they are very happy.

Check their websites for more info.

It is getting harder to place your kids in the British Schools without a British passport.

If you have school age kids, getting them placed could well be your biggest headache in the move.

For those that are successful at screening, personally, I would recommend that anyone with a family try to leave them with relatives until you've got through the first few weeks in Doha. That serves two purposes; one, they get to spend time with Gran and Grandpa before moving so far away; and also, you will be busy with domestic arrangements like getting your Residence Permit (RP), doing the work stuff like license conversion with all its' associated courses, looking around for accommodation, looking for a car (to either buy or rent), visiting schools to check them out, checking out furniture shops, becoming familiar with the shopping etc. The minimum amount of time that you have to submit the family to these tasks, the better. If you manage to get some villas lined up so when the family gets there, you can take your family out on day 1 or 2 to look at specific villas so you can settle on one and move in asap, the better. Also, with your RP in place, you can start getting the family sorted in that respect also (painful but HR at the company help pretty well).

The sooner you can settle into regular life, the less stressful it is, so if you do the preparatory work while the family catches up with relatives, that would ease things for everyone.

Still, you may not have that luxury and may have to bring them with you from day 1. If this is the case, it can be a little stressful.

Cheers,

Amiri01

360BakTrak
13th May 2012, 18:06
I would suspect you wouldn't have too much trouble getting into Sherborne. They seem to always have a few spaces in each year group.

Comanche
14th May 2012, 15:22
Thanks, very useful info here, certainly says something about the quality of guys/girls already working there!

I have been told the reason they need captains is fleet expansion and a move to an all-captain fleet. Is this correct and if so, what's happening to all the FO's?

Ref housing, can one find a decent villa type house for 13000 a month, or is it best to take company accommodation?

I would be leaving a fairly lucrative & very secure A320 job in Europe, but would consider the move because of the much better variety of flying (and less hours than I currently do) & private schooling for the kids.

Amiri01
14th May 2012, 19:37
Recruiting is as a result of fleet expansion. There is a program underway to upgrade the existing FOs to command with a number already having completed the upgrade training. Yes, the intention is for the operation to be all-Captain.

As far as I know, there is no company accommodation on offer. You will need to find your own. At the moment, there are some good compounds such as Al Fardan Gardens where the 4 bed villas are 15000 per month. Reasonable but not flash compound villas run at around 12000 per month. There are some more and also some less expensive.

Be advised that with schooling, the allowance generally does not cover secondary schooling and only just covers primary schooling at most (but not all) schools. You will find that with kids in secondary school that you may end up paying up to 25000 per year per child out of your own pocket to make up the shortfall. This situation is currently under consideration by the company with a view to increasing the schooling allowance, but dont expect this to happen. Run your sums on it not happening then if it happens, it's a bonus.

Comanche
14th May 2012, 20:49
For the sums, how much should I add to cover utilities for a 4 bed villa?

360BakTrak
15th May 2012, 04:38
Water and electric at my 4 bed villa averages out to about 450 QAR a month over the year. Obviously less per month over winter as you're not using air-con, then rises over the summer.

Amiri01
15th May 2012, 05:17
My yearly average agrees with 360BakTraks. The utilities allowance covers this usage level.

Comanche
15th May 2012, 16:35
Last few questions:

* may the school allowance be used for kindergarten?

* the package on page 1 of this thread does not show a utility allowance, is that part of the package?

* what's the range of the A319/A320, not sure if these aircraft have non-standard approved weights & fuel tanks. Any destinations that you tend to fly to more than others?

* is this the type of job & location only suitable for someone without a job, or could it be well worth leaving a stable job for? I know it depends on the person etc etc, but perhaps someone can give me a general indication. My family would be quite happy in a hot climate in an expat environment, but we only know Dubai and have never been to Doha.

Amiri01
15th May 2012, 20:08
The school fees allowance commences when the child achieves 4 years of age. It covers tuition fees only (not capital fees or other add-ons that some schools have). The British system schools here start with Nursery, followed by Reception then Years 1, 2... Generally, kids turn 4 in Reception so that is when the allowance starts.

There is a separate utilities allowance.

The A320 family have ACTs fitted so range is a shade over 3500nm. Destinations are worldwide but Europe, Middle East and Africa are common.

This is not a job you apply for as a last resort. If you want to move to the Middle East to take advantage of the tax free environment and are happy to be on call 24/7, then this is the type of job which you would pick over any of the airline jobs. You need to ask yourself, why do I want to leave my current job? The move to the Middle East is a major undertaking and lifestyle change. Do you want to put your family through that? How long do you want to spend in the tax-free environment before you might want to go home? What will you be able to do job-wise when you want to move back home? Is it worth leaving a stable and secure job to pay the house off in 5 years (or whatever) but then have difficulty being able to move back and live in it? etc, etc...

Most of us are here because we wanted to save more money than we were doing at our previous jobs. I personally feel that I would rather be doing what I am doing than being with EK, QR or any airline in the region for that matter.

We have pilots here that have come from stable and reasonably secure jobs in Europe that seem to be happy with the move. They are certainly saving more money and are enjoying the lower flying rate than at their previous LOCO carrier.

Again, I stress that you should have a good think about why you want to move from your present job before considering this option. If you decide that the move is for you, then I think this job is a good one.

Cheers,

Amiri01

tknapp
16th May 2012, 03:50
Amirio1 thanks for all the great info. Do you know how many pilots they are looking to hire? Are there any americans flying for the company?

Amiri01
16th May 2012, 04:41
We are preparing for the arrival of additional aircraft but I do not know the figure for recruiting. I'm guessing around 20 extra pilots but I could be way out there +/- so don't quote me.

We have some North American pilots but not many, probably because we have very few apply, rather than for any other reason. I understand there may be a few undergoing screening later this month.

Bigkeith
16th May 2012, 16:53
hi amiri01

did you manage to get the information regarding flight security officer ????

mjk1655
16th May 2012, 20:52
Hi,
Does anyone have any information for the Amiri screening for Captains? I would be very grateful . Thanks :ok:

Amiri01
16th May 2012, 23:40
Sorry Keith, I was not able to make contact with my contact in the Security Department. I am away from Doha for around another week but I'll check it out when I get back and let you know.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Comanche
18th May 2012, 14:41
The education allowance communicated to me is 90.000 with a max of 30.000 per child per year which is less than the max 40.000 quoted per child on page 1 of this thread. When doing the sums i would have to allow for another 60.000 per year for 2 kids out of pocket for most schools, could anyone shed any light on this?

jimmyg
18th May 2012, 15:21
Has anyone been to the assessment in Frankfurt of late?

Amiri01
18th May 2012, 22:00
Comanche, you are correct about the schooling. If you have two high school kids, then you could well be QR60,000 out of pocket each year for their schooling. If you have 3 in high school, then you could be QR90,000 out of pocket. This definitely needs to be factored in to your calculations.

The package figures and breakdown that are quoted on Page 1 of this thread are from 2 years ago now and are well out of date. The package is much better than indicated there.

Some recent overhauls of the package have now introduced dental insurance, medical insurance that includes a maternity benefit and a much improved loss of license benefit.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Comanche
19th May 2012, 07:55
Amir01, is there any way to insure against sicknesses beyond 14/28 days as after this time your pay goes down to nil? I am healthy, but one never knows, say an illness that lasts 6-12 months?

Also, what's the call-out time at base and away from base? Can the wives go out and do stuff and leave you with the kids?

Amiri01
19th May 2012, 12:21
Commanche, as far as I know, there is no decent income protection or scheme to look after you in that situation. The company Loss of License insurance has a very small monthly benefit for temporary loss of medicals but I do not have the details to hand (perhaps 1% of the total benefit per month and I cannot recall when it kicks in).

Callout is maximum 2 hours from callout to off chocks, regardless of where you are. So in Doha, if your wife can get back home to mind the kids in 1 hour, then you stand a chance of getting to the airport with enough time to prepare and get aboard. Away base, you do what you can within the constraints of this requirement, so in London for example where we stay downtown and getting to the aircraft from the hotel can take well over an hour, we generally stay within 30 or so minutes of the hotel.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Comanche
19th May 2012, 16:16
Amiri01, thanks. That all sounds reasonable, the kids would be at school most of the day anyway. Little more restrictive out of base to explore the surroundings, guess you can't go on a half day safari in Africa but at least you don't spend too much money that way. Hope I will be called forward soon for a selection.

Amiri01
19th May 2012, 17:18
Further to my last, there are times when you can "risk" going out exploring. Sometimes, our passengers are at a destination to attend a specific function and you know with a fair degree of certainty that you are unlikely to get a callout until at least a certain time.

On my last trip to Beijing for example, I took a taxi from my hotel in the centre of the city out into the countryside around 1.5 hours to visit the Air Museum (very interesting BTW). So you can occasionally have some flex to safely explore further afield than the 30 minute limit. You just make sure you have a contingency plan i.e. arrange with the other pilot to collect your kit from your room if there's a callout and meet them at the airport etc.

It's not necessary to sit around your hotel all the time.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Birdy1062
19th May 2012, 23:14
Comanche, what about APPM for temporary LOL?

Birdy

Comanche
20th May 2012, 08:04
Birdy, I was already looking into that. Need to check if the territory includes the ME. But that may definitely be a solution. Thanks

Birdy1062
20th May 2012, 11:10
I have a friend flying in DOH and he has APPM temporary & definitive LOL, so it shouldn't be a problem.:ok:

buzzbuzzz
21st May 2012, 19:06
Hi hope your all ok. i just got a call from a recruitment agency for Amiri but i don't have the 8000Hrs nor the 3000Hrs PIC . But i have 7000Hrs on A319/320/321/332/343/345 as an F/O with 1500 PIC on the A320/321. last flight as a PIC 20/05/2012 last medical 18/05/2012 last PPC 29/03/2012.
I'm flying now for a privet owned airline we fly around 60Hrs per month with a very good pay (around 17000$ pre month) . but I'm thinking of relocating out of cairo. What i want to know ,
1.Is living in Doha with kids safe ?
2.Will Amiri process my application with out meeting the min requirement ?
3.Are the pilots working in Amiri HAPPY ?
I have no problem working on a stand-by roster or with the idea of relocating the question is where too ?
Many thanks in advance and looking foreword for ur replay :)

Amiri01
22nd May 2012, 01:03
Buzzbuzz:

1. Very safe for family and kids. Way better than Cairo.
2. In the past, when some have applied through Interpersonal (the main recruitment agency for Amiri), candidates have been rejected outright if they did not meet the minimum requirements. Right now, I couldn't say what the policy is, you would do well to phone Interpersonal who do the screening for us and ask them directly (then post here so everyone knows).
3. I think this has been answered in previous posts in this thread. I personally am happy to be part of this operation and I believe that in general, my colleagues are also. For the last 6 years, I believe that there have only been retirements, with maybe one resignation from someone who was approaching retirement. This is probably a reflection of how the pilots feel about the job.

Cheers,

Amiri01

condorbaaz
22nd May 2012, 11:31
amiri01,

VERY informative and encouraging posts.

I have just begun the process with an agent for a VVIP Op which I hope will be amiri. for the A330..I meet all the QRs..Though Interpersonal did not like me the first time in 2010..

Hope to make it..

jimmyg
22nd May 2012, 14:48
Is Interpersonal still doing the interview assessment?

If so what is the format?

Has anyone been called for an assessment date?

igig
22nd May 2012, 15:11
Amiri01

You mention that the A320 guys fly approx 30-40 hours per months. Typically what would that look like with respect to days away from base. I understand that it a difficult question given how varied the possible trip itineraries.

tknapp
22nd May 2012, 17:43
I had one scheduled for the end of May but I'm unable to attend to to my work schedule. They moved mine to the end of June now. Seems like the company is very willing to work with you.

Amiri01
22nd May 2012, 19:56
Interpersonal are still doing the screening in Frankfurt.

Screening consists of (as far as I know) a tech test, psychometric testing and if successful with those, a sim check with Amiri pilots and finally, if you get through those then an interview with Amiri management.

The flying rate on the A320 consists of (and here I am estimating) perhaps on average 4 or 5 overnights and a few day trips per month. Of course, one month you may do a 2 week tour of the US or Asia then next month you may get two Riyadh trips but on average, what I said. Some individuals get to fly more and some less. It's the luck of the draw.

Cheers,

Amiri01

jaloja
23rd May 2012, 15:00
Dear Amiri01

Thanks in advance.
In advance I do not mind being on standby for 24 days but I would like keep my family at home and don´t taking them to Doha.
Do you think that with 24/7, 7 days together, and if at this time, I can travel home, keeping the family in my country?.

Jal.

crazy_max
23rd May 2012, 16:35
My dear Joloja...........I think you misunderstood what 24/7 means. It means you are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No, you won't be able to commute, you can leave your family back home of you chose to do so, and you will only see them when you are on leave. Amiri, please correct me if I am wrong.

jaloja
23rd May 2012, 18:17
Dear Crazy Max.

Thanks for your clarification.

Best regards

Enecosse
23rd May 2012, 21:23
The assessment consists of 8, or thereabouts, computer tests, english (if required), maths, co-ordination, comprehension, did you enjoy tying fire crackers to cats tails etc.
Sim ride, basically a raw data, hand flown LPC. Group exercise, head shrink exercise, stand-up presentation to a panel, interview to about 10 people.
This takes 2 days, you can be binned on the first day.
HR do a presentation on the company and answer any questions, lunch with FOD and CP, drinking beer not recommended. I think thats all.

Amiri01
24th May 2012, 02:15
Max, spot on and Enecosse, thank for the heads up about the screening process. Now I know (I'm glad I didn't have to go through that)!

Cheers,

Amiri01

igig
26th May 2012, 01:36
Enecosse, I'm not familiar with the abbr. LPC? (Wrong side of the Atlantic, I guess.)

jimmyg
26th May 2012, 01:44
LPC/LST (Licence Proficiency Check/Skills Test)

Enecosse
26th May 2012, 10:59
The sim ride, was in a B744, the first officer was played by a Lufty TRE as a competent but lacking in initiative FO. The check TRE ran the sim.
Take off, SID, steep turns, track to a beacon and take up the hold, track away from beacon and let down for non precision approach, go around, engine failure (fire) on go around, (as thrust levers advanced), fly go around, carry out drills, radar vectors to an ILS and land. If I remember airfield used was Stuttgart. I think that was all.

No FD, ASEL, AP, FMS or AT.

The first approach was procedural.

Comanche
26th May 2012, 23:14
Last time I did a raw data holding was about 14 years ago for my CPL, better have a look at my ATPL notes then. I thought the emphasis would be more on management skills, making use of automatics or the very least FD's to free up brain capacity, or leave the flying to the FO. That's my company's philosophy anyway for skippers (apart from the occasional raw data ILS), not complaining but I'd better practice some manual flying on my next sectors this week to brush up. Good luck to all those attending the selection.

granmabaker
27th May 2012, 02:42
Dear Enecosse,
I am going for the screening this month end.Could you clarify the interview process.What do they ask? Whats a stand up presentation? Does it pertain to an aircraft system?How long is it expected to be?
Thanking you,
regards,
Granmabaker

Enecosse
27th May 2012, 08:31
The sim check is I believe not so much a test of flying ability, although that is obviously a factor. It is designed I think to provide a level of stress and see how an individual deals with it. I just talked alot.

The interview is straight forward no trick questions or scenario's, in fact probably the easiest part of the process.

Stand up presentation involved standing in front of a panel (about 8 people), talk for 15 maybe 20 minutes about a) yourself, b) your experience and c) why you want to join

jimmyg
27th May 2012, 09:08
About how many 320 folks are they looking to add?

igig
27th May 2012, 12:40
Good luck Enecosse

condorbaaz
12th Jun 2012, 22:07
Hi
Anybody going for screening in Jun or Jul?

tknapp
13th Jun 2012, 00:03
I'm going June 26th. Does anyone have any gouge on the ATP test?
Thanks

igig
13th Jun 2012, 00:57
Knew about the Jun dates. When are the July dates?

jimmyg
13th Jun 2012, 01:32
Will also be there on the 26th. Any interview info would be kindly appreciated.

condorbaaz
13th Jun 2012, 09:11
July dates prob be decided by end next week

tknapp
13th Jun 2012, 17:18
Has anyone been hired from the May assessment?

Amiri01
14th Jun 2012, 06:03
The May screening was very successful with quite a number being given the nod.

I believe that pilot numbers are now getting close to what is required so recruiting could possibly slow down after the end of June screening.

However, things can change suddenly over here so the requirement for pilots is always in a state of flux.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Comanche
14th Jun 2012, 07:29
Amiri01, does that mean it will be more difficult to be successful during the June session as numbers are getting close to what's required. From what I understood, the May session had 25 pilots while the June session will have 36 applicants. If they only need a few more, they can cherry pick from the remaining applicants. Makes me wish I had applied a few weeks before I did as chances would have been higher.

Amiri01
14th Jun 2012, 12:50
Hi Commanche,

I honestly don't know exactly how many more we need. I just know that we need more but we are probably not too far off the required numbers (for now).

It wouldn't surprise me that if there are many candidates that are assessed as suitable from the June screening that the required number get firm offers and the remaining suitable candidates are retained on file to be offered jobs as vacancies arise.

Please be aware that I am not "in the know" with respect to manning issues and I am only going on what I have overheard while in the office. I could be incorrect in my interpretation of the situation but knowing the (current) fleet size and approximating the needs, I understand we are close to the required numbers.

Perhaps the recruiting company can enlighten anyone further regarding numbers.

Sorry I can't be more specific...

Cheers,

Amiri01

Enecosse
14th Jun 2012, 15:48
The job advert provides alot of the info of what is required. Team player blah blah, once you take that on board and present yourself that way I would say you are 50% there.

The final interview is very straight forward, no difficult questions relatively short. I was over prepared, on Qatar history, Shamal winds, expected technical questions on previous type, a tell me about a time...... question etc, there was none. By the way if the above are asked, well tough.

The PC base questions are all available online, just need to Google for gouges with Emirates, Cathay etc. If not to good with math(s) then a bit of practice would be good. There are various books on speed math(s).

Important:- The tests are quick, DO NOT get bogged down trying to decide the right answer. Take a guess and move on. SOME tests allow you to go back and review, make sure you know how to do that and if in that particular test you can. There is no penalty for wrong answers.

To be honest it is quite a tough test, reread my first para, get your head sorted on how you can show that, the rest you either have or don't, you can only try and do your best.

condorbaaz
19th Jun 2012, 21:20
heard next screening is early aug..any headw up on that?

pampa1
22nd Jun 2012, 16:12
Hi Enecosse,

Did you get technical quiz regarding your present type?:)thanks

Enecosse
24th Jun 2012, 06:25
No I did not

Gforce777
29th Jun 2012, 11:25
Amiri01

We've been told that the Lufthansa management team have been dismissed by the Royal Family and that management will revert to Qatar Airways. Is this correct? I was just about to sign on the dotted line and this would be a big stopper as Qatar Airways Ts and Cs are woeful.

No one has responded to my emails in the Amiri office.

For anyone else interested in Amiri, you may want to look into this as well.

GF

Enecosse
1st Jul 2012, 12:57
We are still waiting the official announcement. What you have said would appear to be correct, just substitute QA with QE. I wouldn't worry about signing and being committed as until probation period up only a weeks notice required by either party.

Iver
1st Jul 2012, 15:27
Any "public" information on new aircraft types beyond the new 747-800? Any VIP 787s or A350s on order? I presume they would hire pilots with time on type.

mutt
1st Jul 2012, 15:34
I presume they would hire pilots with time on type. Why?? Much easier to train someone to fly a new aircraft than to hire the right person.... :)

Mutt

Comanche
1st Jul 2012, 22:26
I also heard that the German management team have been dismissed, which is a great concern to me. It shows the environment there is dynamic (unstable). Package on offer is decent, but not sure what the management change will mean to the pilots as far as company culture and t&c's. Would like some more certainty about this. I was under the impression the Germans were doing a good job. Watch this space.

Amiri01
2nd Jul 2012, 15:56
At this point in time, I cannot add to what anyone here has said or hypothesised. While this is a rumour network, I prefer to stick as closely to facts as possible, alternatively, I express my personal opinion about things.

As far as I know, there have been no official communications at work about any changes to the organisation. That said, as is witnessed by posts on this thread and another about Qatar Executive, rumours are rife.

WRT to statements made about our current management, I personally feel that they have done a creditable job. The operation as a whole has a much better structure, organisation, processes and procedures than when we first separated from QR. On a personal level, generally, there has been an improvement in our T&C's.

Should there be any truth to the rumours, time will tell what the repercussions will be for us employees. These could range from no changes at all, other than new bosses in some of the seats, to significant changes that could cause employees to question their desire to be a part of a new organisation.

I am not going to hypothesise about what is going on at the moment. As soon as I hear anything concrete that might benefit those who have been successful at interview and are waiting a start date and are concerned about the move, as well as potential future applicants, I will post what I can at the earliest opportunity.

As for any other types, there are no "public" announcements about any additional aircraft or types. (Personally, I'd like to see 10 Aerion SSBJs materialise!!:)). However, the purchase of new aircraft can happen here with very little notice so who knows what is in the pipeline...

Anyway, if there are to be any changes then hopefully some clarification of those changes will be forthcoming so everyone can plan accordingly.

Cheers,

Amiri01

Oceanic815Pilot
13th Jul 2012, 02:53
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm a A320 pilot "scheduled" to begin training the end of August or early September. I was hired from the May interview groups. What is everyone's status that was hired from the May and June groups? I know of one gent that had to back out. Has anyone else turned down a job offer with the upcoming management change? What about those of you that were offered future interview dates?

Oceanic

condorbaaz
13th Jul 2012, 05:17
No news Oceanic..

I was assured of a July Slot

With the Qatari Management..Either from QR or by a national, makes the job less lucrative
At least for me

Comanche
13th Jul 2012, 22:47
From what I could gather, many from the June group did not get through, not sure if they had already reached their pilot number targets by then or we were just a bad batch. Condorbaaz, not sure why the job would become less lucrative with QR or local management?

Iver
14th Jul 2012, 03:31
Just curious. What kind of background do you need to fly this for Amiri Flight:

A7-MAB - Qatar Amiri Flight Boeing C-17A Globemaster III at Manchester | ID 179451 | Airplane-Pictures.net (http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/179451/a7-mab-qatar-amiri-flight-boeing-c-17a-globemaster-iii/)

Must you have a military background flying the same type to qualify? Can you bid this aircraft from the Airbus fleet if a slot opens and vice versa? To fly one of those would be a very unique experience.

Again, just curious. Personally, one of my favourite airplanes with some very interesting flying I would imagine. :ok::cool:

Cheers

Oceanic815Pilot
14th Jul 2012, 03:49
Comanche,

I think Condor is preparing for the possibility that QR management may impose the QR contract on the Amiri Flight which would be a pay cut and therefor less lucrative.

Did you get the job offer and if so are you accepting? Do you know how many were approved in the June assessments?

Condor,

Good luck on your interview!

Oceanic

condorbaaz
14th Jul 2012, 12:37
Comanche..

The QR team may try to cross utilize the pilots for all fleets, considering that they have so many Ac..

Personally, I feel that a Non Local will honor the terms more sincerely than a Local..

Oceanic..

Thanks but I have gotten no response as yet..

Happy Landings

igig
15th Jul 2012, 14:09
Condor

Given those thoughts and whereas Amiri ops are majority Royal family and government VIP use, maybe Amiri would not be the best fit. just sayin...

condorbaaz
16th Jul 2012, 04:51
igig..

the royalty and the vip do not micro manage your day to day life issues at work. I suppose as Pilots we only interact them mostly on board. It is of the time when One is not flying them that I speak...

The normal Controlling Function would be done by the manager you report to. It is of these managers that I say, that Non Locals, esp 1st world, honor the contract , as there is little worth of Paper in the eyes of the Locals east of Turkey till Hong Kong..

The general deterioration starts with the Layover Facilites, reduction of benefits (like housing allowance.) the travel benefits on leave basically Penny pinching..

That is my opinion at least..

Oceanic815Pilot
17th Jul 2012, 02:32
I'm not sure there is such a thing as the "perfect" contract job. I've no first hand experience with Hong Kong contracts but the ones in China are not worth the paper they are printed on and the airlines micromanage everything in addition to the local pilots tattling on you for every supposed "infraction" of the rules while most of them have no practical experience operating the aircraft. Ask the Cathay pilots how much their contract has been adhered to over the years.

Honestly, even with the management change I'm more positive about the change than negative. They don't need to change the management to enforce new contract terms. They could do that tomorrow if they wanted to so I am going in with an open mind.

Having said that it all comes down to personal preferences. I could use a
change anyway so it's a risk I'm willing to take....and I would much rather fly with other captains than a bunch of 250 hour wonders.

condorbaaz
21st Jul 2012, 13:23
Oceanic.. Well Said..

I agree with you in all totality..

However, I am yet to get the call for assessment...

igig
7th Aug 2012, 00:26
Has recruitment closed?

de facto
7th Aug 2012, 03:02
the ones in China are not worth the paper they are printed
True,my salary has only gone up and up since i signed my contract...ahhh these chinese:E

Soft Altitude
7th Aug 2012, 06:26
Igig, from independent source, I overheard that the recruitment is put on hold ufn ... QR management taking over and manning Qatar Amiri with QR pilots.
Those who got Amiri contracts, will most probably keep the package, as for the QR pilots they will probably get a per flight or per rotation bonus, or may be not even that. Anyone from the insiders ?

igig
7th Aug 2012, 10:29
Thanks SA.

Amiri01
7th Aug 2012, 14:11
Sorry guys. There is no news from the inside. There has been no clarification or elaboration about the situation.

We are all just standing by to learn what the ramifications will be. :confused:

A310Capt
10th Aug 2012, 17:53
Greetings, Gentlemen. I have just been invited (once again) for a screening process with Amiri, conducted by "Interpersonal.de", to take place in FRA on the 26th & 27th of Sept, as I have some 3,000+ hours on the A310 / A300-600 family. In my particular case, I am (relatively) comfortably employed, as P.I.C. on Gulfstream GIV-SP and Learjet 60XR in my own country, but - just out of curiosity - do you guys think the offered package is reasonable, considering cost of living in DOH etc? Thanks in advance for any valuable impressions.:ok:

mutt
11th Aug 2012, 05:52
I am (relatively) comfortably employed, as P.I.C. on Gulfstream GIV-SP and Learjet 60XR in my own country, The grass isnt always greener, if you are happy in your own country, I would suggest you stay there :)

Mutt

Amiri01
11th Aug 2012, 07:11
A310Capt,

It's good news for those in the pipeline to hear that the screening process is continuing.

WRT the package alone, I would classify it as "reasonable". It's not fantastic and it's not hopeless. It sort of lies in the middle. The housing allowance is fair, the medical/dental insurance is generally adequate, the LOL insurance is probably average, life insurance is on the low side, per diems are good, annual leave tickets are reasonable.

At the end of the day, the important factor is how much you will be saving after you have factored in job satisfaction and quality of life for you and probably more importantly your family. The amount you save is not relevant if you/family are not happy here (what Mutt says above).

The amount you will be able to save in this job (and hence the "reasonableness" of the package) will be dependent on your family composition and your interests.

It wouldn't surprise me that if you are single, you could probably send home in the order of QAR45k+ per month while still living a decent life (any single Amiri pilots feel free to correct me here). With a wife and a few school age kids living with you in Doha, you could probably send home QAR25k+ per month on average while still having holidays and paying for hobbies/pasttimes etc.

What must be recognised is that there are potentially significant lifestyle changes associated with this job and it's location. These have been discussed on this thread previously and must be a major factor when considering the suitability of this job.

Cheers,

Amiri01

condorbaaz
12th Aug 2012, 16:45
Thanks Amiri01.

Oceanic815Pilot
14th Aug 2012, 12:57
De facto. I've enjoyed the raises too. I won't dispute that but at the end of the day it isn't just about the money for me.

mutt
14th Aug 2012, 15:10
you could probably send home in the order of QAR45k+ per month while still living a decent life From the figures that i have, thats almost 100% of the initial salary, flight pay and executive allowance, so are you saying that single people should be able to rent an apartment and live off the housing allowance?

Mutt

Amiri01
14th Aug 2012, 17:46
Hi Mutt,

The short answer is yes, but there are other considerations such as the average monthly per diems and a few other benefits that assist with achieving this level of savings, while still maintaining a decent life.

I could be wrong. Again, perhaps one of my single colleagues could chime in here with their experience.

Cheers,

Amiri01

MMR
31st Aug 2012, 05:24
Hi,
Could anyone tell me how long it takes to complete background check & reference verification?

Enecosse
1st Sep 2012, 16:13
You are looking at about 3 months from job offer to landing in Doha.

Oceanic815Pilot
2nd Sep 2012, 13:22
They didn't even call my references...

Interviewed end of May, started working on the 30th of August so I can confirm the 3 month statement. Good Luck.

alwaysflying
11th Sep 2012, 04:33
Dear Amiri01

Your posts do give some insight into the operation. Would appreciate if the following information could be shared either thru a post or PM as deemed appropriate.

1. How many Pilots are there at the company & what numbers are they looking at ?

2. Is there a significant planned expansion or a lot of turnover for the continous hiring ? Or due to the stringent selection they have been unable to find the best candidates ?

3. Had heard last year that the A 310 was being phased out, then they decided to retain it & hire Pilots. This year they have again advertised for A 310 Pilots ? What would happen to the A 310 Pilots hired, in the event it is subsequently phased out ?

4. Apart Salary/Housing/On Call Incentive are there any additional monetary benefits like a Flight Allowance or Per Diems ?

5. Apart from the Annual Leave, Is one expected to standby 24x7 or are there any additional Hard Days Off ?

6. Is there a notification period for call ?

Thanks in advance, would appreciate anyone in addition to Amiri01 also to respond.

UAE FD
11th Sep 2012, 12:37
Hi 01,

I have sent CV to mulitple people @ Amiri for a position as FD, I have 4 years experience. I am from Asia. Please let me know if you are still hiring FD and still looking to hire only europeans?

Regards,
UAE FD

shabasith
12th Sep 2012, 06:24
Dear Amiri01,

Any job vacancy for an operation controller/Movement controller in amiri flights..

Amiri01
12th Sep 2012, 07:15
alwaysflying:

I'll try to answer your questions but be aware that I am not privy to what is happening behind the scenes.

1. I am estimating that we may have around 60 pilots now, give or take some. Final numbers I am not aware of. We are still recruiting for A310/320 and BD700 Captains but I do not know about A330/340/B747 hiring.

2. The hiring is to meet existing commitments. I am not aware of any pilot's leaving in the last few years, other than for age or medical related retirements, but one or two that I don't know may have gone. Anyway, the hiring is definitely not as a result of turnover of pilots. The introduction of the B748 over the next couple of years will pose a fairly complex logistical exercise for management as the size of the fleet post-B748 introduction may not be known until the time. However, I do not believe that the current recruiting is as a result of the phase in of the B748, rather simply meeting existing fleet manning requirements.

3. When aircraft have been phased out in the past, the crews on that aircraft have been re-trained on another type, so this is the historical precedence. Whether that continues is at the discretion of management. Knowing current Flight Ops management, I feel they would do their utmost to retain crew.

4. Per diems are paid and are at a good level. There are no other cash benefits other than salary/on-call allowance and also transport/furniture etc. allowances.

5. Other than the 6 weeks annual leave, you are allowed 12 "hard" days off per year. These can be cancelled right up until the actual day so aren't really "hard" days off. They are usually appended to a leave period to extend your annual leave (once you start on your days off, you are safe...).

6. The most notice you get for a flight ex-Doha is usually the day before that flight departs. Notice can be as little as 2 hours but is normally the day before. However, once you are on the road, it is a different matter. On some aircraft in the fleet, you may be checking into your hotel after a 4 hour sector, only to receive a call to go back to the aircraft to do another 5 hour sector. Don't join Amiri if you cannot handle something like this.

UAE FD:

I'm sorry, I don't know what the FD levels are but I believe they are close to being correct. As for nationalities, there are very few Europeans in this area (if any). Indeed, there are many nationalities in the FD department with the majority being from Western Asia.

Cheers,

Amiri01

igig
12th Sep 2012, 20:14
Amiri01

When you refer to the introduction of the 747-800 as creating a "fairly complex logistical exercise" for management; is it your sense that there will be fleet reductions or are you referring to the movement and training of personnel?

Amiri01
13th Sep 2012, 08:28
Hi igig,

I am primarily referring to the movement and training of existing personnel. We will certainly have movement from the existing Airbus fleet on to the B748 fleet and given the lack of B747 experience amongst our Airbus widebody crews, I expect that there will be a fairly extensive training commitment for the B748 with quite a large lead-time needed. The movement of pilots to the B748 will clearly create shortages on the Airbus fleet that will need to be addressed.

Now the big question is what will happen to the Airbus fleet when the 748's arrive. The answer to this is anybody's guess at this point in time.

Every new joiners question is going to be: "If they do not retain the Airbuses that have been replaced, what will happen to us?". This is of course an extremely valid concern.

The problem is that I suspect that no-one knows what will happen to the fleet when the B748s arrive. Their arrival is still a fair way off so the decision about the fleet composition is probably also a fair way off.

The difficulties for management will include deciding whether to recruit with permanent employees to fill the vacancies when the Airbus crews head off to train on the B748s, or whether to recruit crews on fixed term contracts with the understanding that the contract will be for a defined term. Should the Airbus fleet be reduced following the introduction of the B748, then the contract personnel could be let go at the end of their contract term.

So our management will base their decisions on the best information that they have now, but things could change. Regardless of what decisions are made, there are clearly complex logistical issues that management will have to deal with.

Personally, and I stress that this is my own opinion based on gut feeling only, I suspect that the fleet will continue to grow. The economic success that Qatar is enjoying and the increasing diplomatic role that Qatar is playing in the international arena makes me feel that the expansion of the Amiri Flight will continue in order to meet the VIP transport requirements of the State.

I probably can't add any more than that.

Cheers,

Amiri01

woodja51
14th Sep 2012, 15:52
Good rational post there Amiri 01! Sounds like good times your way with expansion and new metal.

BTW the gig over here in CSAIR is going pretty well too now... Just about to finish line training. All pretty relaxed.

They are also taking 320 guys from AF to CCQ them to the 330 if any of the ozzis are interested?

20 new 330 s coming and 787s ...with a "chestnut " spreading that the expats might get MFF over to the 380 ...just a rumour but would make sense to compete with QF and EK on the CANTON route they have planned. And the level four english is a bit problematic...

Anyway hope all good your way say hi to AB and MK from MW!

Cheers

Wja

Amiri01
14th Sep 2012, 16:02
G'day Wja,

I'm pleased to hear it's going well over there. It certainly sounds like a decent gig.

Will certainly send your regards to the boys.

Cheers

South Prince
30th Nov 2012, 11:17
any recent news on this outfit?

Oceanic815Pilot
4th Feb 2013, 10:56
Status quo for now...

Ice&Slice
7th Feb 2013, 15:02
Oceanic..

I thought the German management had been dismissed by the Royal Family
Is there a time line they have to be out of there? Was is 12 months or longer do you think,. just wondering.
Thanks!

checkthisout
7th Feb 2013, 19:03
As for the management, a part of the German Management is still there.
The Flight Management is Qatari (correct me if im wrong). I only know about the Indian Ground Management there by rumours.
And they are malicious! They will do anything to secure their power and even spread heavy fake accusations in order to get colleagues kicked if they benefit from it.
Care of their sweettalking, they will backstab you from behind.

Amiri01
8th Feb 2013, 00:31
The German management is still in place but we are currently in a transition phase back to management by Qatar Airways. There has been no indication to employees about the nature of any changes, nor has a timeline been advised to us. We are all waiting to find out what will happen.

In the meantime, there is a freeze across the board on recruiting. When/if it starts again, I shall advise here.

Checkthisout, I would be curious to know which part of "Ground Operations" you are referring to? Would you mind pm'ing me to be a little more specific as your rumoured assertion could be painting some good people in an unnecessarily negative way.

Cheers,

Amiri01

checkthisout
8th Feb 2013, 08:19
Amiri01, it is what it is, there are not as many people in senior positions in the ground management that have a huge influence on decisions. I am not namecalling either, which is against the forum laws and childish.

I am telling you people only to be aware of those guys. They "are" nice, just dont get involved with them personally in any way.

The pilots seem happy though and the company itself is good. Which is the important part.

igig
15th Feb 2013, 12:55
Has A7-HSJ been placed into service yet which would bring the Airbus narrow body fleet to six fins?

Maxpilot66
19th Feb 2013, 17:00
Hi all
Any new hiring for A320 Captains at Amiri planned?

Oceanic815Pilot
21st Feb 2013, 16:09
I believe all recruitment is on hold until the transition is sorted out. Others may have different information but I believe that to be correct.

Pilot talk
10th Apr 2013, 08:10
Hi guys, is there any news on the recruitment front? What are the possible effects
For the pilots contract under the new mgmt.
thanks

Pilot talk
13th Apr 2013, 06:45
I thought recruitment was on hold, do u know if these guys joined recently and left thereafter or were they guys in the company that left after the new mgmt changeover.

Amiri01
13th Apr 2013, 09:36
Confirming what Oceanic815 wrote recently, I believe that recruiting is still on hold while the management transition is in place.

It is true that there have been some departures from the Amiri Flight over the course of the last six months. These have been amongst what I would term "recent joiners". Reasons have been varied but the 24/7 on-call lifestyle and lifestyle in Doha have been issues for some.

As far as I know, the departures are not attributable to the management changeover at all.

Pilot talk
14th Apr 2013, 14:21
Hi 3030N, what do u mean by saying when a new guy gets to Doha,something is wrong ?
Change of terms than promised ?or training delays or issues? Or housing or admin related ?
Amiri01 how's things now with the transition to new mgmt? When do u reckon they will open doors again ?

Amiri01
14th Apr 2013, 14:47
Hi 3030,

There has always been a certain lack of guidance/support for new joiners and I would agree that this area could be improved. I know a lot of guys turn up to do their observation sectors without ever having been shown over the airport office, Amiri Terminal etc.. The induction process could certainly be more comprehensive, structured and perhaps be more personal.

If there are any other issues that really should be addressed, could you pm me and I will communicate the suggestions to management. Hopefully your feedback can help to improve the process for subsequent new joiners, if anyone will act on the suggestions that is!

Pilot Talk, wrt the management transition, I have seen no discernible change in management. All executive and middle level management are still in place. There might be a new boss at the top, but there have been no obvious changes in the Flight Ops department that I have seen. However, others who are more closely associated with office work may have noticed changes.

That's not to say that there havent been any changes, it's just that I haven't observed them...

It would be good to hear the perspective of guys that have been here only a short time. It could be that having been here so long, I might have a bit of ambivalence about things that might grate someone who hasn't been here long.

As for when the doors will open again, it's anyone's guess. With the intro of the B748s pending, something will have to happen soon to meet the crewing obligations for the new aircraft.

Pilot talk
16th Apr 2013, 09:41
Thanks Amiri for sharing info,it seems that the transition to Qr mgmt is taking longer than anticipated. There may be some insider opposition to the same which is normal,thus preventing the complete changeover.
With the summer months approaching and historically the utilisation of the fleet generally heads north,so going by that they should complete the mgmt transition process and start recruiting again to complete the "all captain fleet " if they have not and lower night outs/reduce hours/increase choice of annual leave etc for the guys already in the system. They started this process early last year in 2012 and it still seems they are looking for suitable candidates,as it appears in the various recruitment websites.

Tailwinds and blue skies

Oceanic815Pilot
18th Apr 2013, 11:27
Just my two cents but if you are unhappy about something you should speak up. I've always operated under the belief that you have no right to complain if you don't make your voice heard.

Personally I'm quite happy here and for me it's the best job I've ever had in three countries. Having said that what works for me doesn't necessarily work for the next person. Everyone has to try to find a company that is best suited for them. Just because someone dislikes a company or leaves doesn't make it a bad company or a bad fit for you.

Cheers...

igig
18th Apr 2013, 11:48
Great post. Thanks Oceanic.

Oceanic815Pilot
19th Apr 2013, 13:31
You're right, 3030, you never used the word "unhappy". My apologies. I was addressing your statement with a broad stroke that "something was wrong."

As far as me being "totally wrong" my wife tells me that at least once a day so no worries there... :)

Pilot talk
15th Jul 2013, 20:59
Hi Friends ....what's news ,it's very quiet. I guess it's going well with the new mgmt in place and figure no changes in conditions yet .

condorbaaz
17th Aug 2013, 19:19
Any news for hiring on A330 fleet?

AthinaK
30th Jan 2014, 15:48
hi- I'm Athena from Greece..

I'm looking for info about Amiri flight, I wanna apply..

Do you know company's policy- or any rules??

Waiting for your reply!!

Capt R Swipe
5th Feb 2014, 20:04
Anyone able to direct me. TRI/E on the 747-8, couple of years as training captain on type. Looking for work as of the end of April. Anyone know if the royal flight going to be after -8 trainers?

firozpilakkalaero
16th Mar 2014, 08:41
is there any vacancy for aeronautical engineers.

APAW1
12th Jul 2014, 13:15
Last i heard not all good in AF,some pilot were sacked and most European manager have left. Also staff not being paid bonus for last 2 years.:suspect:

Asper
30th Jul 2014, 13:56
No comment

igig
20th Sep 2014, 03:55
Job board on career-aero website now advertising for B747-800 Captains

jimmyg
20th Sep 2014, 06:03
Stagnate or deterioration of T&C's, change of guard and 24/7 on call roosters, make this outfit most undesirable.

Mister Warning
20th Sep 2014, 12:05
24/7 standby and recently introduced random alcohol testing at sign on makes this job not for every man. :{

JPJP
20th Sep 2014, 19:47
jimmyg - Stagnate or deterioration of T&C's, change of guard and 24/7 on call roosters, make this outfit most undesirable.

Great Zeus's beard ! That sounds appalling. What exactly is the purpose of these Roosters, and why are they on call 24/7 ?

Do they attack, or are they simply used as a deterrent ? Stay safe out there. All of you.

jimmyg
21st Sep 2014, 06:29
During my interview in Frankfurt, this was one of my questions.

"With a fleet of this size and type of on demand operations and staffing levels, why the need" and "what is the call out time"

Never really received an answer, other than call out time is 2hrs! and if you cannot handle it do not come.

I would venture that not unlike Qatar and many operations throughout the M.E.
it comes down to plan and simple " servitude" and your willingness to accept such horrid terms.

igig
21st Sep 2014, 12:16
"Change of guard, change of management"? We've been hearing about that since 2012. Why so long? What's the problem/issue?

APAW1
22nd Sep 2014, 06:15
I can tell you from my contact there that all is not well at AF. The crazy man from QR is now in charge and it look like he is determined to get rid of most of the staff there, the ones that left QR when Amiri separated anyway. No pay rise or bonus for 3 years! Join AF at your peril...you've been warned. :suspect:

Left Coaster
16th Feb 2015, 12:15
So…after a sufficient amount of quiet here, does anyone have anything to add to the bits already reported? Salary? Allowances? Roster? Thanks...

Amiri01
16th Feb 2015, 19:25
The roster is as follows: you have 6 weeks annual leave. At all other times, you are on 24/7 call.

Typically, a pilot will receive an sms the day before a flight (very rarely earlier) notifying him of the flight. Occasionally, there is a scramble where you have to get to the airport within 2 hours, but this is generally only once or twice a year.

The schedule is not fixed, it is dictated by the passenger. You might receive a flight notification to take pax to point A, wait for them for 2 hours then return to origin. You will sit on the aircraft at point A waiting for your pax and after 2 hours, they haven't turned up. After 6 hours, they still haven't turned up, and then after 8 hours, they turn up and you take them home.

Alternatively, you fly pax 6 hours to their destination, and make your way to your hotel. Just as you rip your kit off to relax, you get a call to return to the aircraft and do another 2 hour sector...

If you cannot adapt to this type of operation, don't waste your time applying. You would only be unhappy. If you want a roster, don't apply. If you want to commute, don't apply. If you want to be able to pop down to Dubai for a weekend, don't apply. If you will get upset when you cannot be available for a dinner party that you have organised, don't apply.

You (and your family) need to be flexible to maintain your sanity in this type of operation.

As for salary, allowances and conditions, I can't say what they are but I can say that they have not changed since the Lufthansa management left a few years ago (either up nor down).

You also need a significant amount of tolerance to survive living in Doha. The traffic is still crazy and if you have school aged kids where you will be spending lots of time on the road doing school runs, that will grind you and the missus down.

Recruiting onto the Airbus is not happening at the moment as far as I know. Recruiting is underway (still) for the B748s with the first intake having just been accepted.

So, is Amiri a bad place to be? There are certainly some pilots who don't enjoy it, but there are many who are either ambivalent or even happy with it. They put up with the uncertainty associated with the operation but generally enjoy the varied destinations and ad-hoc nature of the operation. I know that my immediate colleagues are quite happy to be here. I know some on the Airbus fleet who really enjoy the job but I know of a few who don't. It's like anywhere really. There will be some that enjoy it and some that don't. There are upsides, there are downsides. There are better jobs, there are certainly worse jobs. It's up to the individual whether this job is for them or not.

Just as a reminder, copilots are not recruited and Captains will need at least 8000 hours total including at least 5000 in command so if you don't have these hours, please don't pm me to ask if you would be accepted. My answer will be "highly unlikely".

Cheers,

Amiri01

RumAndCoke
26th Feb 2015, 15:13
Dear Amiri1 thanks for all that info, may I ask a couple more questions:
Base in your experience, can you split vacation and come back home two times a year?
They are looking for 744-8, I have plenty of time but not on the 74, are the flexible? Should I apply anyway?
Is true that salaries are 50% over main Qatar airways?

Oceanic815Pilot
15th Mar 2015, 03:49
Edited...........

yibidaboo
1st May 2015, 18:23
Inside sorce says contracts all changed now, lots of engineers looking elsewhere, cabin crew will probably all leave, pilots too. Overnight they took away all previously agreed travel benefits. Everyone being put on Qatar Airways contracts in the near future. Equals about a 40% pay cut for everyone. Not a happy camp at all

Bizjetdrvr
5th Jul 2015, 10:41
Can any of you kind souls in the know indicate what the current T&Cs are at Qatar executive.
I have been invited to interview but to be honest I would like to have a general idea of what the 'roster' would be like & what I could expect as a net package (salary, housing, Insurance)
I want to make an educated decision since I do not want to waste their time or resources if it is not acceptable to me.
Please PM if you prefer.
Thanks
:ok:

SIDS N STARS
17th Jul 2015, 13:03
To stop any confusion, can someone please verify, that Amiri Flight and Qatar Executive, are not the same company?

And this thread is about Amiri Flight, and any reference to Qatar Exec is specific to Qatar Exec ??

Amiri01
17th Jul 2015, 20:16
I confirm. Qatar Amiri Flight and Qatar Executive are two totally separate entities.

igig
18th Jul 2015, 01:38
Amiri01
Are you able to comment on the other posts regarding deterioration of contracts, pay and benefits and employee retention?

APAW1
25th Sep 2015, 21:25
Latest news is they sacked chief pilot after a very lengthy service, apparently he had to be out of the country the same week, thank for everything. He was replaced by a local of course. Per Diem's are next on the hit list. Word has it they've stopped OT payments to Ops staff yet they are massively understaffed, so now they work extra hours for free, some of them 30-40 hours a month!! On a more positive note, QR has been so generous and offer all staff 10 ID tickets, but that's yet to be confirmed.

Goodshape
11th Feb 2016, 14:18
still working for amiri flight?I am about to apply for a Global Express Capt position.Do you know update package?Thanks

igig
26th May 2016, 11:38
Any updates?

APAW1
3rd Jul 2016, 21:40
The company intends to split sometime this year, only 5 planes remain with Amiri and the rest go to Qatar Executive. Apparently some staff going to QE also, probably more stability some are saying. From what i heard no bonuses are being paid or increments and many staff still doing many hours overtime.:sad:

Luibar
8th Jul 2016, 22:14
Which aircrafts are remaining with Amiri?

APAW1
24th Jul 2016, 00:01
I believe the one 747, two 330's, one 320 and one 340. Not confirmed though.:ok:

FlyHigher
24th Jul 2016, 15:53
What about the A310?

Maisk Rotum
27th Jul 2016, 02:32
Call me what you want but I have failed to find info on pay at Amiri for 747-8 Captain.

Anyone care to post?

tks

Doubletrouble747
15th Dec 2016, 11:52
I have an interview coming up with Amiri Flight for the 747-8 and would appreciate any current info on the pay package, interview process, etc. Thanks!

Dan_B200
12th Oct 2017, 19:54
Hi there, can anyone confirm if the interview process for Qatar Amiri OR Executive is the same as for the airline ? I haven't been able to find any info about the recruitment process for these.

casablanca
13th Oct 2017, 13:30
Qatar Airways also does the interview for Qatar Executive
Basically same process.
Amiri is something different....sorry I have no info

UdD
17th Sep 2018, 15:57
Hey everybody, are there any news about QE recently ?
Amiri01 keeps silent for a long time..

Cak
17th Sep 2018, 20:02
I got an offer 2 months ago. 1 off day per month, rest 24h standby :)

UdD
18th Sep 2018, 11:31
I got an offer 2 months ago. 1 off day per month, rest 24h standby :)

Which aircraft were you called for ?

DonVitto
6th Feb 2019, 13:06
Hello All,

I did my assessment for QR this past summer and was placed in the holding pool, a few days ago received an email offering a job position with Amiri Flight, can anyone shed some light on current conditions like pay and benefits, roster pattern and days off, anual leave, etc....
Do they usually do this? I don’t know what to think about this late turn of events.

any input is much appreciated.

DV.

jimmyg
24th Mar 2019, 11:32
Here we go again.....Amiri is hiring once again on all fleet types except B747-8. Only difference this time is they are trying to keep themselves secret. The two recruiters I know of contractair and Zenon are not disclosing where or who you will be working with or any T&C's. They only want you to submit a application package. Things have not changed that I know of; on call 24/7 other than your 42 vacation days.

They have been going through this cycle with pilots and operations management for years now. Get some unwitting pilot to join who after a short period of time figures out that being held captive in Qatar is not such a good deal. The work is not too bad, typical unscheduled on demand VVIP. Destination can be interesting at times with good Hotels; Or you can sit around for days or weeks with possible ASAP callout, telling you the driver will pick you up in 30 minutes.

Like many retention problems in the Middle East can be easily be fixed with a decedent rotational schedule.