PDA

View Full Version : Airline Pilot T and C`s

Kiev23
24th Mar 2010, 19:30
Hi,

I am currently undertaking my PPL with the ambition of going further all the way up to fATPL. My question is that nearly all my friends, when I say ohh I am training to be an airline pilot always say ,well you will be able to get me free tickets then. I just laugh usually.. However it did get me thinking, is this true can airline pilots get discounted tickets for the airline they work for? Or is there some sort of allowance they have access to?

Thanks in advance

K

Uncle Wiggily
24th Mar 2010, 19:34
Kiev:
I think that will probably not be high on your priority list when you are living out of your car unable to make a liveable salary combined with a mountain of debt.

riciardi
25th Mar 2010, 05:05
:rolleyes:

Only family, and may pay airport tax. A friend or two might get an upgrade to 1st if there are seats. It depends on the airline, Emirates.. or Easyjet.;)

Piltdown Man
26th Mar 2010, 12:01
you will be able to get me free tickets then. I just laugh usually..

Laughing is the best course of action. Very few airlines (there are some exceptions like BA) have worthwhile staff travel schemes. If you have to fly it is better to buy your own ticket either directly or through an industry agent like Touchdown. You may then end up flying on competitor's aircraft. I'm also choosy who I fly with. I will not fly on the Pikey's airline, a P2F one nor third world one. Also, I can't work out how the wretched staff travel schemes work so I can't be bothered. Therefore I often end driving, taking the boat or going by train with the satisfaction that none of my money has paid for any airport security staff.

But really, I wouldn't bother flying for a living. It is unlikely that your investment in yourself will be repaid in less than 10 years, if ever. Life at the bottom has become so cut-throat that it's not worth the effort. Drive a train, become a plumber, do a bean counting course and then spend your leisure time flying.

PM

Kiev23
8th Apr 2010, 16:40
Thanks guys.

Without going too much into the "is it worth it?" thread, Its been a passion and dream of mine for years and I am only 18 years old. When I decide to train, I wont be in any debt as currently I am saving up for the trianing. If I didnt try to become a pilot, I feel I will always be like "what if" Its what I want to do, and I am at a young enough age to see that if it did go wrong, then I always have the experience that I am currently gaining to fall back on.

Kiev