PDA

View Full Version : Working in the USA

xXcocoXx
24th Mar 2010, 17:40
Hi All

Im wondering if anyone has any info on working as a controller in the USA, I've tried looking on the FAA website and such, and have failed miserably?!
I understand the CAA licence is different to that of the FAA, and obviously are not interchangeable - but thats about all I know. Any help would be gratefully recieved

:O

Scott Diamond
24th Mar 2010, 18:02
US citizens only as far as I'm aware.

PeltonLevel
24th Mar 2010, 19:43
See Air Traffic Controllers (http://www.faa.gov/jobs/job_opportunities/airtraffic_controllers/) (which confirms citizenship requirement).
The application system says "Giving your Social Security Number is voluntary. However, we cannot process your application without it".

Vector361
24th Mar 2010, 23:41
If you are NOT a US citizen, you can't be hired by FAA or DOD. They are government agencies, thus by law, can only employ US citizens. Between FAA & DOD they have every ATC radar facility in the US, center/area & terminal/approach.

I can not speak to the "contract towers," those being towers FAA has contracted to private companies. You MAY be able to be hired as a non-US citizen. They tend to be towers with very little or no commercial traffic. Pay, benefits & working conditions for the contract tower employees are the lowest for controllers in the US by far.

trafficnotsighted
25th Mar 2010, 08:18
You still have to be a US citizen to work for the three companies that provide ATCO's
for the contracted Towers.
Prior to 9/11 there was a paragraph in the FAA's Employment manual that gave facility managers the right to use Non-US citizens in exceptional circumstances, but i believe it has been removed.

chevvron
25th Mar 2010, 11:11
Many of these 'contract' towers are operated by Barton ATC Inc which I believe is owned by SERCo!!

YankATC
25th Mar 2010, 12:20
US citizens only, I retired after 26 years and am in Australia now.