PDA

View Full Version : BA RECRUITMENT TO STOP!!

BavarianBoy
7th Sep 2001, 21:08
Heard from a friend today that BA is stopping all DEP recruitment asap?? Anybody know anything? What would happen to guys midway through the process??
What about the big shortage of pilots that BA have been complaining about over the last year then? Mind you, we have all come to expect the unexpected from BA's management.

Any other details would be much appreciated!!

Rgds BB

Quicksilver
7th Sep 2001, 21:34
From what I can gain from the press, the information from BA is that they are reviewing their entire recruitment plans

- the entire company is shedding 1800 jobs
- 100 from within Flight Ops

That covers all flight crew Engineers, Cabin Crew and Pilots, it has been well publisised that BA has a high number of Captains retiring over the next few years, so pilots are always going to be required.

The my impression is a review, possibly even a reduction but I'd be suprised if they stop taking DEPs - this isn't the Gulf War it is just a Global Economic slowdown, people still need to fly.

Quickie

Funkie
7th Sep 2001, 22:01
BB

Hi there,

In response to the above, in the current issue of Flight Int and there is an advert within the appointments section for DEP with BA.(Captains)

It may appear that your friend may be wrong, but I'm not one to count chickens before there hatched, if you get my drift.

Hope this is of some help in answering your question.

Regards

Fra

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Fra ]

Cause I is a muppet

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Fra ]

dave@murtle
8th Sep 2001, 02:46
Yo Bavarian Boy

My guess, (educated!) is that most of the BA recruitment in the near future will be for the Citi-express side of the fence. Check out the remuneration package! Big savings for the purseholder. What would one expect with the share price where it fell to today!

Good 'ere innit

BavarianBoy
8th Sep 2001, 14:35
Thanks for all the info guys. Personally can't invisage a stop to DEP recruitment with all the retirements. Does anyone think BA could recruit for Citiexpress via Cranebank??
However as stated above, in this game never count your chickens.....BB

SkyCruiser
8th Sep 2001, 17:27
I thought the ad in flight was for captains for city flyer.
And the loss of 1800 jobs, none will be flight deck.

[ 08 September 2001: Message edited by: SkyCruiser ]

topman
8th Sep 2001, 17:40
The ad was for CityFlyer ATR pilots and is apparently required because of the inability of BA to operate the 5 remaining aircraft, on the same routes and frequency, without recruiting an additional 16 pilots (10 Captains and 6 F/O's). So much for reducing costs?? Note that since the takeover of CFE there has been only 1 ATR pilot leave, so its not down to turnover of crew. Is there anyone at BA who can justify this or explain?

Super Stall
8th Sep 2001, 19:27
Rough figures, but... around 6 ATR Capt's retire over the next eight months, and well founded rumours are of the arrival of another jet, so 2 or 3 'age eligible' Capt's may be off to the RJ together with 4-6 of the ATR F/O's.

Some of the Capt's also job share, all in all nothing too sinister, so pls lets not get into another 'BA and their overheads' type thread.

Blended-winglets
8th Sep 2001, 20:01
Topman
Does this mean there will be a need to recruit direct entry F/O's on to the ATR?

topman
9th Sep 2001, 13:53
Anything is possible in this fine organisation.