PDA

View Full Version : runway in canada...

Gianni1930
24th Mar 2010, 13:18
CYHZ RSC 06/24 160 FT CENTERLINE 40 PERCENT COMPACTED SNOW 60 PERCENT
FROST REMAINDER 80 PERCENT LOOSE SNOW UP TO 4 IN 20 PERCENT
FROST SANDED 100 FT CENTERLINE. 0202131240.

The origin of my problem....about sand!!!!!
please, tell me , about runway SANDED!!!

SANDED; ....with sand!?( it's sound strange!)
or
SANDED;.....( sand paper, groove)...good!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Gianni

Sir George Cayley
24th Mar 2010, 19:54
A special mix of no-salt-sand is spread on some Canadian runways in order to improve braking.

The temperature of the contaminant is important I believe.

Sir George Cayley

bfisk
25th Mar 2010, 13:42
Sanded, with sand. Yes, really, it's that easy.

I saw you posed almost the same question in another thread -- though the answer might surprise you, it will still be the same. Many places in the world use sand to improve braking action. In some winter conditions it's the only thing that will work. I fail to see the problem?

clunckdriver
25th Mar 2010, 13:58
Giani, you have to understand that in Canada we just carry on through Winter, the whole place doesnt just shut down as per your part of the world when a bit of the white stuff falls, as to the terms used to describe the runway conditions they seem to be pretty simple to most of us, regardless of the fine points of grammer, even the braking action reports sometimes are a bit graphic {"slick as snot on a tile floor" springs to mind, given by a tower controller on the East coast} so rather than nit pick about the terms used, just plant the sucker on the numbers, feet to the floor to make the anti skid do its job and reversers in the first class cabin, and see what a nice job the sand does on removing the paint!

bfisk
25th Mar 2010, 14:21
Seconded.

I believe that Norway is also quite good at winter operations -- where I fly there's been snow/ice/rime/younameit for the last 5 months or so, and we only had to cancel one time. At destination they had braking action 2 (med to poor), and about a 25 knot crosswind component, which was above our limitation.

And why couldn't they fix it? They were out of...you guessed it...sand!

Tunfisk
25th Mar 2010, 14:25
Bfisk - Why do you keep chasing people around on this forum. Maybe this guy just wanted a second opinion.

Prime Idiot !

bfisk
25th Mar 2010, 14:46
My apologies if I come across as a **** "chasing people around".

In this thread (http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/409493-about-sand.html) you might find the same question posed in a different way. Twice I tried to answer politely and correctly, as did other contributors on this forum.

And do remember, this is in an internet forum, and while that is no excuse for my behaviour if others also do perceive it the way you do, do keep in mind that the answers one will get here will not be moderated or fact-checked in the same way that say an encyclopaedia will.

For the future, might I suggest the "report post" function if you find inappropriate content. That way, we can refrain from namecalling.

GarageYears
25th Mar 2010, 19:28
Tunfisk as a newbie go figure who's the "Prime Idiot"? :ugh:

Leave the job of moderator to those anointed as such - it sure isn't you. :=

And Bfisk, I fail to see any problem with any of the answers you provided, so from where I'm sitting you have nothing to be apologetic for.

- GY ;)

clunckdriver
25th Mar 2010, 20:06
Make that plus one Garage!

Gianni1930
25th Mar 2010, 21:03
thank,you.
for me,sound strange, that's all.
may be in civil aircraft it's nothing like my plane now, the B777,
but in my past plane the F 104.....
....sand is only FOD....
..but you are too young to remeber the F 104....
..may be in your next life!!!
Gianni

rigpiggy
26th Mar 2010, 12:41
Another colorful east coast expression"slicker than greased Whalesh!t"