View Full Version : A/P fire services on 121.6Mhz

Capt Groper
24th Mar 2010, 10:40
Do most European airports' fire services have a dedicated freq of 121.6 Mhz
to allow communication with an aircraft/Captain, in the gatering of further outside information, i.e. fire, location, strength or no fire indications, in deciding if an evacuation is necessary.
Recently, I have heard that this is now an ICAO/IATA required practice for airport fire services?

Is this the standard in the USA too?

If so does the ATC tower controllers listen out on this freq too?

My querrie relates to the problem of an RTO - checklist complete deciding if an EVAC is required - now on STBY PWR so only one VHF operable. Therefore would have to deselect ATC TWR freq to communicate with the Fire Chief on 121.6.

Talkdownman
24th Mar 2010, 12:15
During any emergency or any incident requiring comms with with 'Heathrow Fire' on 121.6 Heathrow ATC generally did not expect any further comms from the aircrew or expect the aircrew to monitor ATC during AFS handling of the incident. It used to be a case of 'contact' Heathrow Fire and effectively transferring jurisdiction of the runway to the airport authority and its fire service, and putting up with the consequences of any loss of use of runway until returned to use by the BAA. At Heathrow the supervisor had a 121.6 Rx so we could listen and watch but I don't recall a 121.6 Tx facility, comms were usually from Fire Chief to Tower on the TWR freq, or by telephone. Post-incident the runway was inspected by the aerodrome authority before return to use.

Gary Lager
24th Mar 2010, 12:23
Lots of airports use 121.6 as a ATC frequency, e.g. CDG, so it is certainly not 'universal'.

Capt Groper
25th Mar 2010, 09:57
Many thanks to Gary Lager and Talkdownman for their replies.

So at this stage it may just be a UK CAA dedicated freq and not an ICAO / IATA procedure. So some other airports may just be following along with the UK, depending on where their ATC management comes from.

I believe DXB uses 121.6?

Any info on the Australian and NZ procedures?

enemyMiG
25th Mar 2010, 10:34
An Australian ARFF emergency frequency of 131.0 MHz is available at designated aerodromes.

MATS 4-20-600:

"...for direct communication between the Fire Commander/Controller and pilot of an affected aircraft during an airport emergency. Primary use of the frequency is to coordinate the emergency response when an aircraft is on the ground..."

"...All communications on 131.0 MHz are at pilot discretion..."

"...Advise ARFF of a pilot request to initiate communications on 131.0 MHz..."

Experienced Aus Controllers might have further to add, as I am but a lowly trainee...

chevvron
25th Mar 2010, 11:03
121.6 was, many years ago, the GMC frequency at Wycombe.
Don't bring ATC into its use though; it's not an ATC frequency and there are very few airports where ATC have access to it. Its use is governed by the aerodrome operator NOT by ATC Management