PDA

View Full Version : UK issued JAR ATPL, medical renewal in JAA member state

zedex7rrrrrrr
22nd Mar 2010, 15:08
I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that I am able to renew my Class 1 medical in a member state country.

I have taken a job in Latvia (a JAA member state) but plan to maintain my UK licence, rather than converting to the local one. I have established the procedure for the renewal of ratings which can be done by posting the relevant forms.

However, I am unsure about renewing my medical with the local aviation medical examiner. It is a hell of a lot cheaper here and would save me wasting precious leave on a trip home for a medical. Do I simply get the medical renewed here and carry the certificate in my licence or do I have to send a copy to the UK's CAA to have them provide a certificate?

Thanks for your help

kenparry
22nd Mar 2010, 17:22
It seems you are OK in Latvia: see

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/JAAMemberStatesScheduleFeb2010.pdf

which says there is mutual recognition for Class 1 and Class 2. You may need to read around the CAA site to establish how to handle the documentation - if you can't find the answer, try e-mailing the meds at LGW.

zedex7rrrrrrr
22nd Mar 2010, 20:29
That is useful to see the mutual recognition specifically relating to Medicals, thank you. I would summise then that I can then carry a Latvian medical with my UK licence. I will, as you suggest, email the CAA meds just to be sure about documentation. Thanks again