PDA

View Full Version : Clothes to fly in?

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 09:21
I am not talking about what to wear on an Airplane disaster movie but comfortable clothing that you can stow all your bits and pieces in and get at them in flight. Things like a newspaper, PDA, earphones, paperback etc.

Once you are in the queue at the gate you will have your hands full with passport, boarding card, paper, book, hand luggage, coat or jacket etc. Once in the aircraft you have to sort out again often with an incredibly small seat back pocket in which, at the end of the flight, you leave your glasses, medication, or whatever.

How about proper cargo pants? Not high-street fashion pants but strictly comfortable clothing for flying.

How about big patch pockets on the shins that can take your newspaper and paper back? How about patch pockets on the thighs that you get at from the knee end, not the hip end?

Hip pockets with secure zips as you will not be able to get at these once strapped in but your money can still fall out.

What would be your perfect clothing?

Final 3 Greens
20th Mar 2010, 10:04
Hi PN

For LH flights, I have cargo pants and also a 'fishermans' type gilet that takes loads of stuff.

Also, ditch the paperbacks and get an eBook, you can take as many novels as you like in something about A5 size and thin.

PS: I am always careful to choose pants and gilet in colours that cannot be confused with 'Soldier of Fortune' readers apparel - nonetheless, I won't be winning Hard Amies's approval for being sartorially elegant.

Mind you, he was a bit of a pillock, as he insisted that people should wear lounge suits for long flights.

Also, I usually carry a shemagh if going to a hot sunny country, not the Gulf type with the skull cap (keffiyah) and the holder down (ercal), but the north african type that you can easily rig 'desert style' if you encounter very sunny or dusty conditions.

Useful things, shemaghs. I've even used mine as a tablecloth for a picnic.

Otto Throttle
20th Mar 2010, 10:32
I wholeheartedly agree with any gilet type of jacket, as you'll probably spend a lot of time indoors standing about in queues, so it will help you stay cooler than a long sleeve jacket and you're less likely to end up having to carry it because you're too hot. Lots of pockets to keep stuff in (usually zipped), and unlike trousers, no chance that things will fall out every time you sit down.

The benefit of a jacket over cargo pants, is that you can remove it in flight, and on many carriers there is invariably a small coat hook on the seat back of the row in front, so no need to keep it out of reach in the locker. If you're a tall and well-built chap like myself, then there is nothing more uncomfortable than being jammed into your hideous charter seat with bulging pockets making your seat even more snug and uncomfortable for the next few hours.

MathFox
20th Mar 2010, 10:44
Pontius Navigator, an "outdoor sports" shop has a wide assortment of trousers with extra pockets; but the problem with those is that you'll have to remove all metal items in the security check, where you can just take off a gilet for the event.
I recommend a small backpack as carry on: keeps both your hands free and you can manoeuvre far easier than with a rollerbag. Good thing is that many backpacks come with a lot of side pockets. I like to have pockets in my (button-down) shirt for passport and boarding pass.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 10:45
Otto, agree about bulging pockets but I am suggesting leg pockets not hip pockets. As for a gillet, agree it is fine for the little things like phones, PDA, ear phones etc, but less so for books and papers.

As for hanging the jacket on the seat in front, I haven't really found enough space, especially if the seat is reclined or you are sitting next to a stranger.

F3G, agree a Kindle would be a good idea and certainly not for a leg pocket. However having done a cost benefit analysis I reckon I could buy a shelf load of books for the price of a reader ad that before I have even paid for the reader books.

Final 3 Greens
20th Mar 2010, 11:56
PN

Kindle is not my choice, for various reasons.

I have a Hanlin V3, but also very much like this one, which has the benefit of a discount on the titles.

COOL-ER ereader for ebooks from COOLREADERS (http://www.coolreaders.co.uk/readers.asp)

On the cost benefit analysis, it is the ability to carry multiple books that does it for me, as I have a library of reference books and standards for work and carrying 30-35 books isn't an option :E

I have never calculated the payback period, but can see where you are coming from.

My gilet has two deep pockets on the inside, that wil take papers and books.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 12:49
F3G, thanks for the link, looked at it. What p^sses me off is the world-wide fixed price. How come it is $299 in Cayman, Dubai, South Africa etc but only £189 including VAT in UK?

Really is a Global market - from the same shop in every high street to the sam eprice in every country. So much for tourist shopping.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 13:57
I recommend a small backpack as carry on: keeps both your hands free and you can manoeuvre far easier than with a rollerbag.

I might compromise and get a small back pack but pack it in my carry-on and only unpack after security.

We use the largest carry-on and avoid hold baggage which saves charges and cuts time.

As for having to empty your pockets at security, Luton Airport has added an extra layer of security for masochistic travellers. Watches, car keys, cameras, phones, MP3, etc, ie any thing electronic, has to go through separately - you can't leave it all in the pockets of the gillet.

It wouldn't be so bad if they warned you before you entered the security queue and provided plenty of space afterwards so that you can get dressed again.

STANDTO
20th Mar 2010, 15:10
it wouldn't be so bad if there was world-wide consistency in security searches. I invariably have two legs to do from the Isle of Man. For some inexplicable reason, they still insist on doing your shoes, whereas LGW and LHR don't.

I also like to look reasonably smart when travelling, so like to travel with a jacket. I've a couple of Camel Active ones which have a sort of crumpled chic to them, so that they still look OK after several hours crammed in the overhead. At least in PE they take it off you and hang it in a wardrobe. Which is nice.

Several years ago, I tried to start up 'Toga Airlines'. You turned up with a long robe and a pair of sandals, and nothing else, and had a special, fast track security channel which you could breeze through.

Maybe the Arabic Dishdash is the answer we have all been looking for?

Hartington
20th Mar 2010, 15:40
If you want to look faintly smart and have deep pockets Envoy Jacket - Mens Outdoor Clothing - Rohan (http://www.rohan.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=02077&cid=MensJackets&language=en-GB)

jeanyqua
20th Mar 2010, 16:40
I'm the opposite way round.
Tis not the pants to fly in,but a small samsonite hand carrier aeris-comfort-beauty-case-strap - Delivery in United Kingdom by Samsonite (http://www.samsonite.co.uk/beauty---toilet-cases/aeris-comfort-beauty-case-strap/product-en.htm?or=0641512544&od=4841122064) that does me.
I can pack in easily ,& kid you not,
Husbands wallet & my purse.
Flat oblong document wallet,containing passports,tickets,& other paperwork.
Moblie phone.
2 or 4 packs of cigarettes,(depending on long,or short haul).
Car & house keys.
Magnetic strip that keeps the aircon on in hotel rooms.
Packet of polos.
2 tubes of earplugs.
Lypsall.
Mini deodrant.
Small pack of clean up wipes.
Rolled up joggy bottoms,a vest top & a clean pair of knickers.(long haul)
Can usually fit the duty free perfume & mascara in too.
The case doubles up as a great footrest on short haul too.!!

Lancelot37
20th Mar 2010, 16:50
Deninitley ROHAN for me, even though I'm an old man. Trousers to wear are their BAGS, but if you want a blazer get one from ORVIS. (about £195)

The one that I use can be crumpled up in the luggage rack and at the end of a 13 hour flight it will look as smart as when new. I've used their products for years.

Rohan Rohan Bags - 31" Bags - Mens Outdoor Clothing - Rohan (http://tinyurl.com/ykwbpoh)

Orvis Men's Travel Blazer Jackets / Traveller's Hopsack Blazer -- Orvis UK (http://tinyurl.com/ylc4sx9)

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 17:27
Magnetic strip that keeps the aircon on in hotel rooms.

Do tell :)

As for the case, Mrs PN has one of those but simply not large enough. She now uses a maxi-size cabin trolley. Shame really as the other would clip on to the handle.

jeanyqua
20th Mar 2010, 17:34
Its a small plastic key fob,an inch wide,& 3 inches long.
I think we half-inched it from a hotel in Thailand somewhere.
We use it if we are just say nipping down for brekkies,or over to the shop.
Slots in,& the room is still cool when you come back.
We don't use it when we are out for the day,as i am enviromently conscious..:O

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 17:59
Ah, I see where you are coming from. Good idea.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 18:04
Deninitley ROHAN for me, even though I'm an old man. Trousers to wear are their BAGS, but if you want a blazer get one from ORVIS. (about £195)

Rohan Rohan Bags - 31" Bags - Mens Outdoor Clothing - Rohan (http://tinyurl.com/ykwbpoh)

Orvis Men's Travel Blazer Jackets / Traveller's Hopsack Blazer -- Orvis UK (http://tinyurl.com/ylc4sx9)

Agree about these but I was lucky, got a superb woollenblazer half-price in Witney. As for the bags, I have used Crag Hoppers with a single, very useful, patch pocket on one leg and even a hidden zipped pocket underneath that though I have never found a use for that.

My original question though was about true cargo pants that are similar to flying suits. I have been tempted to have a flying suit cut down to provide just the pants.

PAXboy
20th Mar 2010, 18:29
Ladies & Gentlemen, we have to announce a Diversion for a grumble
STANDTOit wouldn't be so bad if there was world-wide consistency in security searches. I invariably have two legs to do from the Isle of Man. For some inexplicable reason, they still insist on doing your shoes, whereas LGW and LHR don't. I used to visit the IOM three times a year to see my mother and found their searching to be far stricter than any other. As I have mentioned before, their metal arch is set more sensitively than any other. When I asked them why the metal tags on my boots did not set off the arch at ANY other airport but ALWAYS at IOM, they denied it saying, "All arches are set to a standard for all airports." Rubbish.

I think they have the (not unworthy) intention of ensuring that they are not revealed as being the transit point into the UK mainland for undesirables. Islands may be thought of as 'soft'.

Thank you for reading Ladies & Gentlemen, the Diversion is now complete.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 22:30
PaxBoy, given your diversion, how about belts?

A problem with cargo pants is they tend to be weighted down and hence need a belt.

But security tells you to remove belts. Why?

Is it the metal buckle? Is it the potential of the belt as a weapon?

My cargoes would therefore have a sewn in belt that could only be removed with the trousers attached. At a stroke this would overcome th eproblem of having to empty ones pockets of metal. Simply strip your pants off and put them in the scanner. :E

And what of braces?

PAXboy
21st Mar 2010, 01:02
Belts are a good question and I always wear one, due to carrying my mobile phone on a belt pouch. The removal is, I think, to help reveal anything sewn into the belt that might not be read by the arch.

I have used cargo pants in the past and found them very useful but that was before the current times and I do not know if they are viewed differently. I have worn braces on a suit once when travelling (through MAN to IOM as it was a journey I particularly recall, just over two years ago) and there was no concern from anyone.

I support the gilet idea as being very useful as it takes weight out of your hand case (phone, MP3 player, eBook reader and digi camera add up) and allows you to get more into the hand case. (or to enable your female travelling companion to get more things into YOUR hand case. :ouch: Ouch, that hurt)

Of course, any airport that has the new millimetre wave scanners will undress you - without you having to do a thing!

Rush2112
21st Mar 2010, 02:24
Everything goes in the carry on: phone, Blackberry, iPod, small digital camera, phone and BB chargers (if a long stay camera and iPod chargers go in check in bags), and book. I am not sure if the eReader thingy is available here. Passport etc in a travel wallet. First time I flew long haul was BA in 95 and I still have the little amenity bag they gave me in business that has ear plugs, eyeshades, Vicks inhaler and my day's tablets for the bp.

At the security line, all I am left with in my hand is my passport and b/c. I don't have a laptop so no fuss there.

I only ever wear standard shirt and trousers to board the plane although recently I started wearing a casual tailored jacket for trips back to EU that the lovely SQ girls hang up for me whatever class I am in!

On the plane, if long haul, I change into jogging pants and a RUSH t-shirt and original kit goes folded back in the bag.

The carry on bag is close to the limit for airlines other than SQ but I have not had a problem other than a connecting flight from AKL to ZQN on ANZ where I had to transfer some stuff to the check in bag.

Carrier
21st Mar 2010, 04:02
I also use Rohan products. If you want a jacket with plenty of pockets consider this:

Mens Assignment Jacket - Mens Outdoor Clothing - Rohan (http://www.rohan.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=02688&cid=MensJackets&language=en-GB)

L. L. Bean makes a similar jacket:

Explorer Jacket: Casual at L.L.Bean (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63073?page=explorer-jacket&parentCategory=504720&cat4=504714&shop_method=pp&feat=504714-sub2&np=Y)

Boss Raptor
21st Mar 2010, 09:03
Usually medium weight casual/smart/cotton jacket (Boden) which keeps its shape and also covers extreme cold outside terminal to raging furnace inside...casual/smart trousers/chinos, no belt (security), ordinary leather brogue shoes, t-shirt, small canvas blue messenger bag to keep everything in including my watch thru security, sometimes get the 'any laptop?' question with it I suppose understandably now there are much small devices...answer 'no' and i couldnt do without a small bag to be honest, shovibg stuff in pockets only means you have to take them al out again at security so i keep everything in one place

Same format/clothing every trip..actually other than removing the belt it is what I usually wear to the office anyway :)

scr1
21st Mar 2010, 16:47
http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af160/scr1/aircraft/31032008016.jpg

or
http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af160/scr1/aircraft/ShowLetter4.jpg

or

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af160/scr1/image5.jpg

:E:E:E

Plannerman
21st Mar 2010, 20:54
This has got me thinking - I often fly in a pair of Craghoppers walking trousers (same idea as cargo pants, lots of pockets for documents, ipod etc). These have a canvas belt, with plastic buckle. I have never removed this, as I assumed that it was belts with metal buckles were the problem. I seem to recall I asked security once, and he waved me through without taking it off. Other than that, I just leave it and walk through - obviously the arch doesn't go off. However if the risk is sewn-in objects should I be taking it off anyway?

PAXboy
22nd Mar 2010, 00:20
Plannerman... should I be taking it off anyway? Don't ask - Don't tell??? Seriously, if they say 'belts off' then that's the answer to your question!!

Welcome aboard Plannerman. :)
The FAQ (at the top of the forum page) has got lots of stuff and if you see a person posting with the title 'Tight Slot' - he's the boss!

spiney
23rd Mar 2010, 19:17
I used to like cargo pants and travel vests but with all the Security malarky today I really can't be bothered...

Electricals, bits, bobs, and books all go in the Carry On - I use a Lowe Alpine TT40 which the the largest legal carry-on size for most airlines and is my only luggage if travelling light. Slip-on shoes, loose Rohan Pants (not bags) with a plastic belt, Long Sleeve Shirt (can get cold long-haul), with a breast pocket and Rohan used to do a nice one with a zip. Choice of poly-cotton top or jacket depending whether I'm dressed for leisure or work - I prefer the Rohan Long sleeve with the zip chest pocket for a casual trip or an Orvis/Rohan sports jacket which can still manage to look reasonable without too much care.

Avoid - lace-up shoes or trainers, metal belt buckles, too many zips or pockets, stuff in pockets which get uncomfortable after a few hours, t-shirts or tight jeans and carrying too much in your carry-on bag.

neroliie
23rd Mar 2010, 21:56
I'm a long skirts person, usually combined with a light top, light jumper, and jacket/coat. I'll usually have another top rolled up and stuffed into my rucksack for if it gets chilly.

On my feet I'll have socks or tights or nothing, depending on the weather (sim for shoes or sandals). I'll take a pair of loose, thin leggings and a pair of socks for the cold. A handy tip I learnt from a CC on a long haul: ask for a bottle with hot water in, and then put that into those socks you get in those little packs. Insta hot water bottle for extra heat :ok:

If it's short haul, it's usually what was lying around, clean, not packed up, when I got up that morning... :ugh:

ETA: when it comes to going smoothly through security, I make sure everything in my bag is packed neatly so that I know exactly what is in each pocket. I try to make sure everything that needs to be out is out (not hard with long queues!). What's remarkable - and others have commented on this - is that as volatile a personality as mine is, when I'm travelling I'm remarkably calm. I figure that as someone who doesn't travel for work (but does research count?), it's not worth my while to get het up about things.

Lancelot37
23rd Mar 2010, 23:19
I'd get locked up by the police if I dressed like that! My tash would give me away.

Pontius Navigator
24th Mar 2010, 07:45
I make sure everything in my bag is packed neatly so that I know exactly what is in each pocket. I try to make sure everything that needs to be out is out (not hard with long queues!).

I wish, oh how I wish.

At one airport before Christmas the security queue stretched twice across the departures area before it even entered the security queue proper. As we approached the end, oh 10 minutes or so before we were to be checked, Mrs PN sees other pax buying the bags - 50p for 2 - and putting make-up etc in them. I am despatched to get bags, fortunately I have 50p as no change is given. Mrs PN then crams two bags to bursting point with every potion, lotion and unguent known to man with NONE being used on the flight.

Now this is not as if she is a tyro. Only 4 months previous Miss PN1 went through her handbag and had dumped a good 2 litres of stuff and there it was all back.

She seems as blind to what Security see as dangerous items and Security is blind to really dangerous item, like sharpened toothbrushes :cool:**

**for those not in UK, a prisoner slashed the throat of a fellow inmate with a toothbrush that had been filed into a weapon. A credit card can also be used to cut someone's throat and does not need to be filed.

neroliie
24th Mar 2010, 11:18
I don't often fly in company, which can make things rather lonely, but has the advantage that I can control the level of exasperation at my own stuff.

My level of exasperation at other people's things, however... :E

Carry0nLuggage
24th Mar 2010, 13:02
Too many pockets can be a problem - Where did I put my passport and boarding card this time?

Cargo pants, T shirt and lambswool sweater for warmth if needed. Lightweight waterproof top for most destinations. What did someone say in a post a few years ago? "Dress to survive, not to arrive".

Everything metallic goes in a small rucksack; small change in those little bags you can get from banks.

Two-Tone-Blue
24th Mar 2010, 17:42
Hmmm ... let me think. Soft bags, obviously, because you NEVER know how much headspace or other clutter is in the overhead at your seat.

My lightweight [but quite stiff] Nautica backpack with about 376 assorted pockets - or is it 5? One pocket assigned to travel wallet, another to assorted keys and small change [yes, bank coin bags are essential for multi-currency ops], bill-fold and cellphone. Another with cigarettes and matches for that immediate fix after arrival, camera, notebook and pen. Main body contains lightweight outer jacket [Bill Bass?], spare handkerchief and underwear, book[s], rechargeable razor .... and the inevitable collection of electrical chargers.

Shirt with breast pocket to carry passport and b/c.
Comfortable slacks with nothing in the pockets except handkerchief.
Slip-on shoes.

Anything heavy or bulky from DF gets given to "Herself" to go in her big soft carry-on which contains a book and very little else.

Two-Tone-Blue
24th Mar 2010, 17:45
Hmmm ... let me think. Soft bags, obviously, because you NEVER know how much headspace or other clutter is in the overhead at your seat.

My lightweight [but quite stiff] Nautica backpack with about 376 assorted pockets - or is it 5? One pocket assigned to travel wallet [essential product, with tickets, loyalty cards, currenc[ies], car rental vouchers and that stuff], another to assorted keys and small change [yes, bank coin bags are essential for multi-currency ops], bill-fold and cellphone. Another with cigarettes and matches for that immediate fix after arrival, camera, notebook and pen. Main body contains lightweight outer jacket [Bill Bass?], spare handkerchief and underwear, book[s], rechargeable razor .... and the inevitable collection of electrical chargers.

Shirt with breast pocket to carry passport and b/c.
Comfortable slacks with nothing in the pockets except handkerchief.
Slip-on shoes.

Anything heavy or bulky from DF gets given to "Herself" to go in her big soft carry-on which contains a book and very little else.

Pontius Navigator
24th Mar 2010, 20:21
Too many pockets can be a problem - Where did I put my passport and boarding card this time?

That is MY nightmare. You need a file of paperwork these days. for our trip Friday we are reconciled to carrying a folder with all the paperwork for 4 weeks.

Car Park voucher exchanged for Car Park ticket - note parking bay, stow ticket, pocket satnav and cable and mount. Rush to bus.

Airport, online checkin paper, passport, boarding card, shuffle in random order at baggage drop, immigration, and security and perm any 2 from 3.

Shops - boarding card and wallet. Gate - passport and boarding card. Steps - boarding card.

At the other end, pasport, car hire voucher, driving licence, hotel voucher, maps, satnav.

And holding your book, paper, magazine etc, which is where I started this thread.

BEagle
27th Mar 2010, 13:16
Everything goes in my Lufthansa Rimowa laptop bag - except passport and ticket which go in a shirt pocket. Car park ticket goes in the pocket in the GPS case.

Seemples.

But I get so fed up with those 'aeroplane mountaineers' who insist on staggering on board with a Bergen, then turning round and hitting everyone in the face with their sodding backpacks.

Only snag I've faced is insisting that Lufthansa don't allocate me in row 1 as there's nowhere convenient to put my laptop bag. Plus the Sicherheitsdienst idiot at FRA who insisted that every electrical item was removed and caused a simply wonderful queue to build up in the business class lane as out came laptop, power supply, UK cable for power supply, EU cable for power supply, WLAN adaptor, GSM dongle, 3 x USB sticks, GPS, GPS charger, GPS mount, GPS software cable, cellphone, cellphone charger, EU-UK adaptor, French-EU adaptor (for French sockets with that damn spike thing), US-UK adaptor, media base with DVD drive and floppy disk drive, skype handet.... They all had to be taken out, then the (pretty well empty apart from a couple of magazines and some papers) bag went through the X-ray machine again. Then he had to wait whilst I carefully repacked everything - I was in absolutely no hurry and as sickly polite and charming as I could possibly be.....:E