PDA

View Full Version : Reading back T/O clearance

Mister
19th Mar 2010, 18:37
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question.

When you are given a T/O clearance, do you read back "Cleared take off runway 22" or "runway 22 cleared Take off"???.

I am asking that beacuse I heard it was changed a few years ago and I heard some controlers giving take off clearances on the format "Runway XX clear take off".

Thanks a lot, and it would be nice if you can give any references, I have the old doc 4444 but there is writen on the format " clear take off runway XX".

supraspinatus
19th Mar 2010, 19:02
"Runway XX" first. Then "cleared for take off"

"Callsign, RWY XX, Cleared for take off"

We are operating two active departure rwys, and it happens a/c on the other holding point steals the take off clearance to the a/c I'm talking to.

Talkdownman
19th Mar 2010, 19:47
Runway Designator first, even more important where runways share a threshold or common access.

2 sheds
19th Mar 2010, 22:16
I think Its "cleared for take off" You can say the runway if you want but i believe its only needed when there are more than one active runways.

Despite what it says in the ICAO RTF Manual, 4444 is more specific...

"To reduce the potential for misunderstanding, the take-off clearance shall include the designator of the departure runway".

2 s

Mister
20th Mar 2010, 16:28
Thanks for that to all of you, including the ones who answered something that did not have anything to do with the question ;), hehehe.

Regards guys.

PRD Area
21st Mar 2010, 09:49
Just out of habit, I will always read back the runway, regardless of other runways, in use or not. It's always possible for either controller or pilot to get a bit of dseilixa, particularly with reciprocal runway operations (02/20 and 13/31 seem to be favorites for this). IMHO an extra second of RTF every time is preferable to an accident/incident one time.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Mar 2010, 10:15
<<IMHO an extra second of RTF every time is preferable to an accident/incident one time.>>

An extremely wise statement PRD Area....

jackieofalltrades
23rd Mar 2010, 16:36
An extremely wise statement PRD Area....

I wish to second this comment from HD