PDA

View Full Version : ATPL to NPPL(SSEA) and/or Microlight

FREDA
17th Mar 2010, 19:38
No, its not a competition to use the most acronyms in one subject line!

Im tying myself up in knots(!) with the requirements to turn an ATPL holder with an SEP rating that has expired within 5 years into an NPPL holder with SSEA and/or microlight privileges.

LASORS directs me to the NPPL website which details the requirements which I read to be:
SSEA: GFT and valid medical (After appropriate training to reach GFT standard obviously)
Microlight: No licence allowance for anything (That I could find) meaning I'd have to do the full course.

Is an SSEA just a 3 axis microlight (for licencing reasons) or is it a weight restriction?

Yours in confusion

FREDA

S-Works
17th Mar 2010, 19:53
You get full licence credit and it's a doddle. Pm me and I will be happy to guide you through. If you are in the midlands I will do it for you.

xrayalpha
18th Mar 2010, 09:00
Forget about the ATPL.

It is all simple really, for microlights: <my brackets>

4.2 Pilots with expired licences or ratings

Credit shall be given for holders of expired CAA-issued <so if it was a Spanish-issued, tough luck!> JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) and UK
PPL(A) licences or ratings as follows:

a. Where a Microlight class rating or Microlight privileges included in such licences <an SEP includes microlight priviliges> has expired
by not more than 5 years, the licence holder shall hold a valid NPPL medical declaration or
JAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate and pass the NPPL GST in a Microlight. <no training required by law>

b. Where a Microlight class rating or Microlight privileges included in such licences has expired
by more than 5 years, the licence holder shall undergo a course of training in a microlight
aircraft as specified by a Microlight FI <so if you have had hours of expereince flying a US ultralight, might not be any need for training> , hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1
or 2 medical certificate and pass the NPPL GST in a Microlight. The licence holder shall also
pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the authorised examiner as part
of the GST.

For light aircraft:

Basicallt the same:

Credit shall be given for holders of expired CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) and UK
PPL (A) licences or ratings as follows:

a. Where a SEP class rating included in such licences has expired by not more than 5 years, the
licence holder shall hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical
certificate and pass the NPPL GST in a SSEA.

b. Where a SEP class rating included in such licences has expired by more than 5 years, the
licence holder shall undergo a course of SSEA refresher flying training as specified by a FI(A)
or CRI(SPA), hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate
and pass the NPPL GST in a SSEA. The licence holder shall also pass an oral theoretical
knowledge examination conducted by the authorised examiner as part of the GST.

2.3 Non-UK licences

a. The holder of any licence issued by an ICAO Contracting State who wishes to obtain a NPPL
with SSEA Class Rating should contact the NPPL (SSEA) assistance advisers for advice on
the specific requirements for licence conversion. These requirements will be determined by the

NPPL/XC/REV 08 dated 26 Jan 2009
holder’s current experience and will be assessed individually. The applicant shall also pass
the JAR-FCL PPL (A) Air Law & Operational Procedures and Human Performance
examinations prior to passing the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA. However, holders of such
licences which are current and valid in all respects who have flown a minimum of 100 hours as
pilot of aeroplanes shall be credited the NPPL NST if they have also flown a minimum of 5
hours P1C cross-country flight time in UK airspace in the 12 months prior to the date of licence
application.

OyYou
18th Mar 2010, 09:25
a. Where a SEP class rating included in such licences has expired by not more than 5 years, the
licence holder shall hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical
certificate and pass the NPPL GST in a SSEA. I did my GST about 6 months ago but the nice lady at the NPPL told me that I had to have the NPPL form signed by the examiner who did the test. Seemed to think that a signed log book and licence would be insufficient. I have had problems tracking the examiner down as he was not based at the airfield where I did the test.
In view of that I have applied to the CAA for a regrade of my ATPL to a JAR PPL which, when I submit the correct form, :ugh: will , with a Class 2 medical from my AME, get me flying again. I will then in future, have an NPPL medical declaration from my GP which I understand effectively downgrades the PPL to an NPPL until the 5 year PPL expires. By then I assume there will be another licence that I can apply for as I anticipate that I will have problems passing a Class 2 medical.

Regards

Genghis the Engineer
18th Mar 2010, 10:54
At risk of stating the obvious: Email the BMAA (http://www.bmaa.org/infostaff.asp) (or even phone them), who administer the NPPL(M) and can give you a definitive answer - the rest of us are inevitably just giving informed guesses to some extent.

G

xrayalpha
18th Mar 2010, 11:05
FREDDA asked:

Is an SSEA just a 3 axis microlight (for licencing reasons) or is it a weight restriction?

No, SSEA is - basically - a light aircraft that is not a microlight.

(In the early days of the NPPL, it was called an SEP. Then it was pointed out that in JAR-land, SEP meant both light aircraft and microlights. So the UK definition of SSEA was introduced to make it clear that microlights were a seperate category in the UK. Which is why your JAR SEP allowed you to fly microlights, which is why you only need a GST - and to add the blooming obvious, actually apply for the licence!!)

Genghis, while calling the authorities (in the this case the BMAA, who are very helpful) is always a good idea, instructors should know the rules and regs. It is their bread and butter - or smoked salmon and oatcakes in my case!

If one's flying school doesn't know the rules and regs for licences, what do they know?