PDA

View Full Version : SE England Chart Ed 36

Martin Glass
13th Mar 2010, 07:14
Has anyone else noticed this too, or am I wrong ?

The brand new (March 2010) edition 36 of the CAA Southern England Chart 2171CD shows the ILS's at Newquay in the WRONG DIRECTION !!!!!

The chart shows the ILS's as NE/SW instead of NW/SE

:uhoh:

IO540
13th Mar 2010, 07:57
Last time I went there, they were going to put in an ILS both ways, once the RAF moved out.

But anyway (if true) it looks like "CAA's publishing profit centre" needs to get a new hard disk for storing its database :)

BillieBob
13th Mar 2010, 08:54
As I understand it, Martin is not commenting on the fact that both approaches are shown but that the AIP chevrons are not aligned with the main instrument runway (being misaligned by about 90°). If this is correct (I haven't yet seen the new chart) then you need to inform the CAA without delay so that they can publish a correction.

Pace
13th Mar 2010, 09:12
its a carefully devised trick to fool pilots instigated by the Cornish Carrot Crunchers society.

Perranporth has been moved onto the beach and lands end has been moved to somewhere in the USA.

Probably a devilishly cunning plan to remove all aviation from Cornwall :sad:

Pace

NQWhy
14th Mar 2010, 08:51
Having spent the last 12 months communicating with NATS charts dept to ensure they went on this edition, no one is more annoyed than me!! How they managed to get it right on the quarter mil (several months ago) but incorrect on the half mil beggars belief!!

But to clarify, the chevrons should be orientate 30/12 to show the ILS track on to each end.

robin
14th Mar 2010, 09:02
Will we get a corrected replacement one free, then?

MFC_Fly
14th Mar 2010, 10:33
They have had the wrong NDB frequency for Kinloss for many editions (including the current one), despite being told several times! Wonder if they get it right for the next one due at the end of the year - I doubt it :ugh:

NATS/CAA - just in case you are reading this - the frequency of the NDB at Kinloss is 370, not 356.6 :ok:

austerwobbler
14th Mar 2010, 13:57
just a thought
if you bust a zone and it turns out the chart is wrong "do you get a get out of jail card free from the CAA" :E

Austerwobbler

Agaricus bisporus
14th Mar 2010, 14:24
Why is this so important? An ILS chevron on a VFR topographic chart is merely an indicator of an aid that may or may not be available. You cannot use an ILS without the relevant Jepp or AIRAD plates, and they'd tell you straight away, woudn't they?

So why the fuss? Your flight planning would almost immediately show it was not in existence if you had considered using it. Requesting it as part of a VFR to IFR diversion would immediately lead to your being told...

Big deal.

stansted_dan
14th Mar 2010, 14:52
In reply to the post above, I didn't think that the main purpose an ILS chevron on a VFR chart was to indicate an aid available? They're only shown for airports where the ILS path extends outside of controlled airspace (note a majority of main UK airports don't have the ILS indicated on the chart, because the ILS is within their Class A/D).

I'd therefore say that it is a very important indicator when flying around VFR, flying through the path of a ILS whilst in G airspace and not speaking to anyone is a recipe for disaster! Of course whilst in G you're not obliged to be speaking to anyone, but I wouldn't fancy taking my chances skirting round the edge of Manston's ATZ (for example) without talking to Manston approach, and end up playing chicken with a 747 that could be approaching at 160kts and below 2000ft.

Halfbaked_Boy
14th Mar 2010, 17:31
Agree with the poster above - I don't see the symbol as an indication of navaid availability, I see it as a marker telling me where there is likely to be instrument traffic, perhaps under IMC conditions, so I don't go busting through the ILS.

VERY important to see this gets resolved if wrong. I don't have the new chart yet...

one2go
15th Mar 2010, 16:26
Anything major?

AlphaMale
16th Mar 2010, 00:29
Had the email today about the changes (Amendments for Southern England and Wales - Edition: 36, 11/03/2010 | VFR & Chart Information | Airspace Policy (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=64&pagetype=65&appid=8&mode=detail&chart=11#E4936http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=64&pagetype=65&appid=8&mode=detail&chart=11#E4936http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=64&pagetype=65&appid=8&mode=detail&chart=11#E4936http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=64&pagetype=65&appid=8&mode=detail&chart=11#E4936)) but having read this thread I'll wait a while and see if I can get a correctly updated chart :ugh:

one2go
17th Mar 2010, 08:24
Are there any major airspace changes in the latest 1:500000 chart?

Whopity
20th Mar 2010, 10:00
Looking at this error it fairly obvious that someone has read off the wrong scale on a Douglas Protractor accounting for the 120 degree error!

AlphaMale
20th Mar 2010, 15:53
What is the usual procedure when they find a fault?

It is likely they will reprint and distribute the new charts over the next couple of weeks? or is it a case of just biting the bullet buying the chart and making a note on the chart DIY style?

Thanks

jxc
20th Mar 2010, 17:02
I think it is along the lines of we'll worry about it next year and do a 12mth notam !

AlphaMale
20th Mar 2010, 23:36
Thanks - Guess I'll pick the new one up tomorrow from the club :rolleyes: