PDA

View Full Version : US Airways - Electrical smell sends 9 to hospital

GarageYears
16th Mar 2010, 22:27
(CNN) -- Nine people were taken to a hospital Tuesday after complaining of a foul odor aboard a US Airways flight in Charlotte, North Carolina, according to the airline.
US Airways Flight 985 was bound for Montego Bay, Jamaica, the airline said. It had pushed back from the gate and was taxiing on the ramp when an electrical smell was reported in the cabin, Federal Aviation Administration (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Federal_Aviation_Administration) spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said.
Paramedics were called, and "two pilots, five flight attendants and two passengers are seeking medical attention as a precaution," US Airways (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/US_Airways_Group_Inc) spokeswoman Michelle Mohr said.

Question is - Do any of these incidents ever result in discovery of the cause? Generally an electrical smell bad enough to send several folk to the hospital has to be the result of some nasty heating going where it shouldn't. :hmm:

- GY

Finn47
17th Mar 2010, 05:13
Similar problems with the same 767 have happened earlier, it says here:

9 taken to NC hospital after bad smell on airplane - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100316/ap_on_bi_ge/us_airplane_fumes)

sharksandwich
17th Mar 2010, 06:35
I wonder if all strange smells are described as "electrical"? I would guess that would be the quickest way to get the plane grounded and checked (for safety reasons).
I hadn't really thought about it before, but there must be a number of contaminents which could get into a closed pressure system.

pattern_is_full
17th Mar 2010, 07:16
This particular airframe just seems to be snakebit as regards the cabin bleed air supply. Hydraulic vapor, fuel vapor, and - whatever - this smell was this time.

Microburst2002
17th Mar 2010, 08:32
If it was hydraulic, they can have health problems for life!

rottenray
18th Mar 2010, 03:22
Pat is Full writes:

This particular airframe just seems to be snakebit as regards the cabin bleed air supply.

The plane should prolly go in for a major at this point, especially the engines and bleed ducting.

I can see a puddle of slime composed of oil vapors, hyd, and fuel remnants sitting in a duct somewhere, just kept in place by frequent "high winds" passing over it, and emitting a bit of stink now and then.

As far as "electrical" smell, it's been too many years since the average consumer has smelled anything "electrical" for them to make an honest assessment.

Go back to the days of vacuum tube tele and radio, yes, then the average Joe could spot an electrical smell.

Burning capacitors, ozone from high voltage supplies arcing and shorting, the smell of hot, hot wax...

Now?

Hell, some stir-fry Asian food has a slightly electrical smell to it. Sesame oil + peanut oil + celery @ 400F = electrical smell.

Nearly the same as the insulation on the AC (mains) wiring in one's home when it is overloaded and heated.

Hope they decide to / and get it / sorted before it makes the news too many more times...

cwatters
18th Mar 2010, 07:26
"two pilots, five flight attendants and two passengers"

Is that mix due to the source of the problem, the emptyness of the flight or that crew know a bit of smoke can be more serious than it appears health wise?

N707ZS
21st Mar 2010, 20:45
Hot bakelite just like bad kippers.:O

Mr Optimistic
22nd Mar 2010, 13:20
'Nearly the same as the insulation on the AC (mains) wiring in one's home when it is overloaded and heated.'

Sounds like an opportunity to install some fuses or breakers.

Graybeard
22nd Mar 2010, 14:43
I believe it was a Martinair 767 about 15 years ago that gradually lost electrics crossing to US from AMS, and landed in Boston with almost nothing working. I don't know if they ever found the cause. Does anybody remember it?

GB

cactusbusdrvr
24th Mar 2010, 06:38
The company is saying that the fumes were from the #2 engine starting. The right rear door seals were not tight as the arcraift was not pressurized and the fumes seeped in through the gap. The recirc fans then distributed those fumes throughout the cabin.

Just sayin'. This is the company line. Feel free to shoot this down.

lomapaseo
24th Mar 2010, 13:15
The company is saying that the fumes were from the #2 engine starting. The right rear door seals were not tight as the arcraift was not pressurized and the fumes seeped in through the gap. The recirc fans then distributed those fumes throughout the cabin.

Just sayin'. This is the company line. Feel free to shoot this down.

engines smell on start-up:confused:

with all the experience on PPRune who could describe the smell?

ACA856
24th Mar 2010, 19:29
"Sesame oil + peanut oil + celery @ 400F = electrical smell"

My wife says that's 'normal, shuddap and eat it'.

gbour
25th Mar 2010, 15:30
I am sure a lot of Swissair 111 crew & pax would just have loved to post similar stories about that very kind of smell. Except that...

FairWeatherFlyer
4th Apr 2010, 10:12
I was a passenger on an Emirates flight a few years ago and smelt a very faint burning insulation smell - not the most comforting smell when you know you're an hour over water! I discreetly asked about it... turned out to be a seal on one of their ovens.

Flight Detent
5th Apr 2010, 07:23
.....except that they didn't have a flight engineer aboard!!!

Apollo30
5th Apr 2010, 20:39
I just searched at ASRS database (ASRS - Aviation Safety Reporting System (http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov)) for incident reports concerning "fume"-incidents (text contains ...) and I found 64. I don't know if this number is high or low, but when you start reding, the all sound nearly the same as described here. Sometimes more, sometimes less severe....