PDA

View Full Version : License issue!

SINGAPURCANAC
16th Mar 2010, 20:50
I would like to apologize if it is already discused or if this question is so easy to answer that anyone should know the answer but we have a problem and we would like to hear what others think.
Thanks in advance for all constructive answers.

ESSAR 5 and/or ICAO complied state,atco license.

1.Do you as ATCO phisicaly have to have valid license with you during your operational work?
2.Is there any case that you are allowed to work without valid license in your pocket?
3.In the proces of license extension,is it allowed to work with some papers ,not orginal license,and if extension proccess is not finished until expired date,what are consequences for atcos,or issuing authority?
4.What are general deadline for issuing authority to signed atco license? If it is everything properly done by atco.
5. Is team supervisor responsible to check that all atcos have valid license before starting shift?
Best regards,
SINGA

criss
16th Mar 2010, 22:12
1. Yes.
2. At our unit most of us keep it in lockers in rest room one floor below TWR.
3. No.
4. Probably there is, although I don't know the exact time. Our aviation authority usually needs a month to issue a new licence, and it's your task to start the process in time. Of course, if it's your first licence after training, you can't work after physically obtaining it. If we are only renewing our endorsements, not the licence itself, then the examiner simply makes a new entry in the licence and this is it, you're good to continue (he sends papers to aviation authority, but it doesn't concern you).
5. Never, only an inspection from civil aviation authority (I'm yet to see one).

SINGAPURCANAC
16th Mar 2010, 22:39
Thank you very much.
My personal opinion about those issues are the simmilar for the first 3 points.
The 4th one is the most problematic in our case.For extension rule is : "process is initiated by atcos itself between 45 days before expire date and 7 days before the expire date. " that is the only difference in our case because only CAA is allowed to put extension into license.
The problem starts here.
They took licenses from our colleagues on time,but when expire date approached there is no signed and extended licenses.
Of course they should be "removed" from frequency and that is the boiling point.
We checked again,and again, relevant document(for that I believe that is "copy and paste" as simmilar one troughtout Europe) and that is the reason why I am asking atco community about particular solution around Europe(ESSAR5 enviroment,at least) .
It is really problem.
Supervisor is responsible that only properly qualified an licensed atcos could work,
atcos are afrraid that they could face longer period without license,with all possible consequencies,
and so on....
thank you ,once more :ok:

criss
16th Mar 2010, 23:12
We had a similar problem when ELPAC testing was initially introduced. After testing we were supposed to hand our licences to civil aviation authority for them to make relevant entries. But law says we can't work without physically having licence with us, and there are no exceptions. So now, we're simply supposed to go their headquarters, and they will make the entry on the spot.

As for Supervisors checking - they of course know who is a controller and who's not, and if someone get's suspended for any reason, they get informed. But none of them would ever check if the licence (or medical) is valid - not their job.