PDA

View Full Version : Wind Readouts

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Mar 2010, 23:07
Just a quick question.

I have been trying to find a reference to this, but have not been sucessful. When a controller requests a wind read out from a pilot what is the correct response? Over the radio I frequently hear 220 diagonal 32, is that the correct response?

Just curious.

Tarq57
15th Mar 2010, 07:02
Don't know if that is the correct response or not, but I would suggest it is adequate. The only additional info I'd like is if it's magnetic or true.

Nightrider
15th Mar 2010, 08:00
Over the radio I frequently hear 220 diagonal 32, is that the correct response?

While we all will be able to certainly draw an imaginary picture about the conditions with this kind of answer, how about:

Wind slightly calm by the left 3 kn.... as it is a more or less standard phraseology used at my homebase, and that is an international airport :eek:

GAPSTER
15th Mar 2010, 08:35
Over the radio I frequently hear 220 diagonal 32, is that the correct response?

As an LTMA Approach controller that would be exactly what I'm looking for.The rough idea of wind effect can be applied to for instance base leg headings and the ability or otherwise of traffic to lose altitude...also the likely effect on turn radius,particularly when doing tight spacing... or trying to!

orgASMic
16th Mar 2010, 14:57
Tarq57 - Aviation wind is always relative to True North.

Grasscarp
16th Mar 2010, 15:14
OrgASMic - Wind is True in written weather reports and Magnetic in verbal weather reports.

Max Angle
16th Mar 2010, 18:55
Can't remember the Boeing way (I think it was the same) but on an Airbus the wind direction on the nav screen in referenced to true North so if you ask the pilot you are going to get true.