PDA

View Full Version : Air Safety and Duty Free

rsoman
21st Jul 2001, 08:08
Lots and Lots have been written about in countless forums of how duty free sales
in Aiports and Aircraft which are carried abroad and improperly stowed can cause a safety hazard in flight especially during landings.

Point accepted! but let me relate an interesting experience on one of the fligths I took on a South East Asian Airline to India
from their home base.
The service was indifferent at best intitlally in economy.However all hell breaks lose when finally the duty free trolley is rolled out.
The very same cabin crew whose attitude was
barely tolerable now turns extremely friendly!Even if passenger is willing to pay in a combination of three different currencies! No Problems!
Even on the final approach with seat belt sign switched on long back passengers are clamouring for duty free and cabin crew is still happily serving them! Finally everything was stowed away with about 10 seconds to touchdown!'
While everybody agrees about duty free and its negatives I guess it is equally important that crew finishes their duty free
selling (and their comissions which is obviously playing a part) with enugh time left before touch down.
Why blame the pax and duty free shops alone!How about some regulation for the cabin crew also!

cabinkitten
21st Jul 2001, 18:21
Oh yes I remember fondly those LHR-FRA 55 minuters...06.40...110 in Business...full meal service and Duty Free(as insisted upon by the company)...sigh... many a happy minute was spent rollerskating down the cabin, 4 1/2 minutes to landing, barplus on the blink, while Herr gold car holder can't decide whether Frau gold card holder would preffer the Toblerone 4 pack or the Jelly tot gift box.....and all for about £0.95 commission....sigh...happy happy days.....

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: cabinkitten ]

rsoman
22nd Jul 2001, 13:40
The flight I was on, it seemed more to be the choice between Chivas Regal or Marlboro!
Anything to satisfy the powers that be enough ,not to ask too many uncomforatable questions or open the one bag you didnt want to be opened at any cost before reaching home! A forgotten duty free package on the right desk(s) of course can happen to anyone!
especially when your flight lands around midnight (no airport curfews here!) and it takes another two hours for your luggage to arrive at the carousel!