PDA

View Full Version : Renewing PPL

Lister Noble
12th Mar 2010, 13:43
I've just been talking to an ex commercial pilot whose PPL is out of date,he reckons he last flew PPL 7 years ago.
I've done a forum search and come up with this below,is this still relevant and valid?
Lister:)

"I presume he had a CAA PPL(A) (UK Issued) with a valid SEP (Single Engine Piston) rating.

As he presumably not renewed his SEP rating within the previous five years his SEP rating is now lapsed but his CAA PPL(A) is valid for life. This means all he will need to do is to renew his SEP rating.

First up get a JAA Class 2 or JAA Class 1 medical. For private flying a JAA Class 2 is now required. There isn't a Class 3 medical anymore.

For renewal requirements see the CAA publication called Lasors. It is free to download (74mb) from the following link:

LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA

The section you are looking for is "Section F", Subsection "F1.5" on Page 11 of Section F. It is named "Renewal of Single-Engine Piston - SEP(LAND), TMG Class Ratings".

Assuming he hasn't had a valid SEP rating within the previous 5 years he will need to undergo the following:

1) The CAA mandates no mandatory additional training. Applicants are only required to have enough recurrency training to enable them to pass a Skills Test (this is good news!).

2) Complete the Skills Test in accordance with Appendicies 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR Authorised Examiner. The Skills Test is basically the pre-JAA CAA GFT and NFT's combined.

3) Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the examiner as part of the skills test.

On successful completion of the skills test the LST/LPC form will be filled in and sent to the CAA PLD for licence endorsement. The Examiner is unable to fill in the ratings page in the licence for this scenario.

All the best and hope this helps. "

S-Works
12th Mar 2010, 14:14
Yep, thats about it. He will need to do sufficient training with an Instructor to pass a skills test and the jobs done.

If he is over your way, I would be happy to help.

Lister Noble
12th Mar 2010, 14:19
That's a very kind offer,he lives near here,I will talk to him tomorrow.
I'm taking him up in the Cub when wx is good,not today!
Thanks again.
Lister

S-Works
12th Mar 2010, 14:21
Your welcome. Drop me a PM if you need me. I can do any refresher training and the LST.

Lister Noble
12th Mar 2010, 15:55
Bose,you have a pm
Lister