PDA

View Full Version : An aviation holiday abroad

chris-h
11th Mar 2010, 18:29
Rather than a sun & sea holiday this summer im thinking of going abroad, Hiring an aircraft, Seeing the sights for a few days and enjoying myself the geeky way :ok:

The question is, Where is a good place to do this regarding being able to hire an aircraft with ease, flying vfr without too many airspace restrictions and language 'English only' not being a problem.

Also, what would an outside school require for me to hire their aircraft?
ie Paper work, Flight with 1 of their instructors etc

BackPacker
11th Mar 2010, 22:00
The obvious answer would be the USA. But I've also heard great stories about South Africa and Australia/NZ.

In all cases you'll probably be flying a locally-registered plane, for which you need a locally-issued PPL. Under ICAO there is a requirement that countries offer some sort of validation process which usually means some paperwork. Plus the UK CAA doesn't release your personal details to a foreign CAA except with your permission (privacy regulations) so you've got to give the UK CAA permission plus some dosh to release your details.

I once heard that for South Africa you also needed to sit the local air law exam, but I'm not sure that's still the case. And Australia has had a reputation, for a while, to be very tough security-wise. Again, not sure what todays situation is.

Furthermore, you will need to do a checkout with the rental agency. In case of the FAA, that actually needs to be a full BFR (1 hour ground/1 hour air minimum) instead of just some circuits. But in any case it's a good idea to use that checkout to the fullest to pick the brain of the instructor with regards to local issues.

There was an article in Flyer magazine about this, three or four issues back. Lots of useful information in there.

chris-h
11th Mar 2010, 22:14
Many thanks for your reply, Very usefull...
When the time comes ill upload my intensions
chris

IO540
12th Mar 2010, 03:41
Croatia is a lovely place to fly - spectacular scenery and very friendly. Avgas and Customs airports on the little islands like Brac and Losinj.

Slovenia too; and there may be more rental there.

With a bit more bureaucracy you can venture down to Greece.

I've sent you an email/PM.

Squeegee Longtail
13th Mar 2010, 15:43
Had a great flying holiday around NZ in Dec/Jan. Just pass a BFR with an instructor and the NZ CAA will issue you a temp authorisation to use your (ICAO) license in NZ (valid for up to 6 months).
Great scenery, lots of open airspace and friendly (and cheap) airfields.
Try Air Discovery in Tauranga to rent their Arrow for block time. Very reasonable.

Have fun.

Pilot DAR
13th Mar 2010, 22:10
The obvious answer would be the USA

Well... If you're American!

In addition to the other excellent recommendations, with which I certainly agree, don't forget Canada. We Canadians can offer everything you could want in general aviation, and a float rating too! I venture to suggest, that we have the most open airspace you could ever want. Most of my flying has absolutely zero radio work required, and I'm within 100 miles of Toronto.

Though I do not know the details, I do know that tourist licences are issued by Transport Canada for this type of purpose.

I'd be pleased to make some more detailed recommendations if it would help...

Pilot DAR

Dan Winterland
14th Mar 2010, 01:06
Don't just think "got to get a local endorsement and get some P1 hours". This can lead to frustrations dealing with authorities, getting check rides and getting frustrated. Why not just go somewhere to do something exotic - eg, flying aeros or warbirds. You will have to accept accept you will fly dual but I have found the experience to be rewarding and it will broaden your horizons and skill.

A and C
14th Mar 2010, 08:11
Why not tour Europe, per hour the flying will be as cheap when you factor in the airline tickets to the USA.

Klick on the link or the Advert in the tp right hand corner of this page.

index (http://www.bigredkite.com)

cats_five
14th Mar 2010, 08:20
*if* you end up going to NZ and want a different kind of flying experience, Omarana might be able to provide it:

Gliding & Soaring, Omarama New Zealand - Wave and Mountain Soaring courses and Glider training (http://www.glideomarama.com/)

It's not cheap but the scenery is fantastic as is the potential.