PDA

View Full Version : Post PPL Training Question

mur007
11th Mar 2010, 16:31
I'm coming towards the end of my PPL training (I've got just under 50 hours and have just done my first solo nav-ex) and am training in a Warrior at Biggin Hill. I'm starting to think about what will happen after - I'm a bit worried that availability at my club might be an issue. As I am a teacher, I can only really fly at weekends (and holidays too of course). At weekends all of the Warriors are usually fully booked for instructional flights so I am not sure if I would realistically be able to use one once I've got my licence.

I do intend to discuss all this with my instructor (who I have a great deal of respect for) but I wanted to gauge opinions on here first ... is it worth thinking about possibly buying a share now or at least start looking for one now? I'm fairly 'big' (ie fat! - I weigh around 18 stones!) and I like the docile nature of the Warrior so I'm not sure I'd be too interested in looking at other aircraft types. Plus I would want to stay at Biggin anyway as it is convenient for me to get to as well as familiar.

What do people think? Am I being a little premature? Is it normal for people coming towards the end of their training to start looking to buy shares or should they wait a bit after they have their licence?

Any comments would be very gratefully received ...

Lister Noble
11th Mar 2010, 16:49
I bought a share while I was still learning.
The share was in what I wanted,and rarely come up,so I bought it,knowing I could always sell it if I failed all my exams and flight tests!
Fortunately I got my licence and still have my share,and in fact I flew the aircraft yesterday.
Talk to your instructor,and go for it.
Lister:)

VOD80
11th Mar 2010, 19:02
It depends on your personal situation and how much you see yourself flying afterwards but - just to give you another viewpoint:

I bought an aeroplane before I could fly and learned to fly on it. It was quite expensive to own it my self (the bearings in the engine collapsed after a year :ouch:)but I loved the availability - I ended up using it like a car. I loved it!

So, even a share I guess would be expensive if you're not going to fly much but if you see yourself doing a fair number of hours, there's nothing to compare! All IMHO, of course!

XXPLOD
11th Mar 2010, 19:17
A share really only makes sense if you are going to do a reasonable number of hours, i.e. perhaps 30+ per year. Obviously schemes vary hugely, but most will involve a monthly amount, maybe £100 or more plus a wet rate of anything from £60 to £90 ph. My local club will rent a Warrier for £120 wet, no ties, entirely PAYG.

I wouldn't constrain yourself to the airfield you've been training at unless it really is absolutely the only one you can get to. There are plenty of smaller strips around with shared planes based on them and they are usually better value - you need to seek them out. A few hours/approaches with an instructor and you'll be fine.