PDA

View Full Version : Middle East ATC

ScapaFlow
11th Mar 2010, 15:30
Hi All,

There are many threads discussing various issues in the Middle East from an Air Traffic Controllers point of view but I would be interested to hear the views of the pilots who regularly fly through the airspace? Are you happy with the service you receive from the various units and if not, why?

Your thoughts are appreciated! :ok:

Scapa Flow

RWEDAREYET
11th Mar 2010, 17:49
I think ATC in the Middle East is pretty good compared to other parts of the world.

The only two complaints I would have are, there are times where the controllers are overloaded in Damascus, but it seems that has a lot to due with the quality of their radios. Not the controllers fault, but it can be frustrating.

Second complaint would be some of the controllers in Saudi just don't answer you. Again, this could be an equipment problem, I really don't know.

Otherwise, the ICAO English is pretty good and the controllers overall do a pretty good job.

DownIn3Green
11th Mar 2010, 18:52
During my time there and also throughout Africa, English is not English....Iy is Aviation English...You have to commend a controller in Algeirs or Morocco who tells you "Radar Contact" and then to expect the "VOR" and to "report overhead"..."I have the runway in sight, request straight in"..."Affirmitive, report overhead"...Once you get used to it, you report overhead, outbound, and then inbound...thats the way it is, but we're guests in their country and they're trying...

411A
12th Mar 2010, 10:37
Second complaint would be some of the controllers in Saudi just don't answer you. Again, this could be an equipment problem...

This is a staffing problem, mostly, I believe.
Some ATC folks work several frequencies at the same time (multiple sectors) and one guy can only do so much...nothing new, either, this has been going on since the mid-eighties.

K.Whyjelly
12th Mar 2010, 14:29
Agree with 411A above.....controllers on multiple frequencies as well as on the landline trying to organise that 'direct to' request. Standard of English and level of control in the Middle East is good.................I've had little to complain about. The standards of radio equipment can sometimes be dire. Cairo on 127.700 has recently been abysmal.... controller makes his transmission and each word echoes two or tree times and with no let up in the pace of transmission it all blurs into one echo laden mess. Not easy for a native English speaker to decipher so for a pilot who is not a native English speaker it must be hellish

JW411
12th Mar 2010, 14:52
Does anyone else remember the days before decent VHF contact was provided and before SSB on HF and SELCAL was invented?

Those were the days.

A constant listening watch had to be maintained and, especially at night, the background noises were unbelievable. Half of Africa, the Middle East and most of the Indian Sub Continent were all on the same frequency (does 5506 and 8956 ring a bell?).

Not only were aircraft trying to contact ATC centres but the ATC centres themselves were using the frequency as a point-to-point communication medium.

One of the funniest that I remember:

"Bombay, Bombay this is Karachi"

"Bombay, Bombay this is Karachi - Why don't you answer me?"

"Because I am not hearing you!!!!!"

One of our co-pilots found a way around the system:

When he had called three times and got no answer he used to push the transmit button and go "Tarrootaroo, Tarrootaroo, Tarrootaroo".

This worked remarkably well and it would evince a response along the lines of:

"Speedbird 123 Standby, man with trumpet please go ahead".

Happy days.

Going back to the original thread; by comparison, I can't imagine that you have much of a problem nowadays.

galaxy flyer
14th Mar 2010, 03:45
In the "Gulf", nationality of which I will not say, ATC is grade A--good radios, good English and good procedures. But, why does Bahrain control much of northern Saudi?

Now, don't get me started Muscat to Mumbai--poor HF, everyone trying to get relays--not so good.

GF

ScapaFlow
15th Mar 2010, 20:38
Thanks for the replies guys. I am just going on reports from people that have worked in the Middle East and the lack of flow control and the ridiculous politics in the region would seem to prevent a smoother and more efficient ATC system. I am talking about airspace from Saudi/Kuwait through Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Muscat. Comments from you guys that fly the airspace regularly might help to improve things. :ok: