PDA

View Full Version : Cut Backs On Drinking Water!!!

Twistedfirefighter
14th Jul 2001, 11:34
Maersk Air are to cut back on bottled drinking water for crews. In an effort to save costs, this is the latest great idea from a disrespected management team. They want crews to drink out of the aircraft water supply instead. Arguably we have been doing just that with teas and coffees, but cold water is a different story. A sorry state for an airline to be heading towards, particularly when the latest company cars appear to be Alfa Romeo, Lexus etc...

[ 14 July 2001: Message edited by: Twistedfirefighter ]

Basil
14th Jul 2001, 12:28
Drink unboiled water from an aircraft tank?? They must be joking!!
For those with any doubts - how do you know where it was loaded? Could be anywhere in the world :eek:

MFALK
14th Jul 2001, 12:37
Basil is totally right. Please do not drink unboiled water from an aircraft tank as you might be risking serious gastrointestinal infections!

As correctly stated, you never know where this water might have uploaded. Moreover, the effect of chlorine soon disappears so basically you end up with a mass of untreated water, fertile breeding ground for the bugs.

To say it all, IATA lays down rules about the quality of the uplifted water, tank cleaning schedules, periodic testing etc. but many airlines (and I know this from experience) ignore these regulations or are not even aware they exist!

BOEINGBOY1
14th Jul 2001, 13:06
monarch crews are limited to 1.75 ltrs of bottled water per flight duty! as a cost saving procedure :rolleyes:

Self Loading Freight
14th Jul 2001, 15:17
Sorry? I don't understand this. Is the cost being saved that of the water, or the fuel required to lug a few litres of the stuff around? Has anyone involved come up with costings for the various alternatives?

Supermarket bottled water in the UK can be had for a few pence per litre. Any organisation using a reasonable amount of bottled water could undoubtedly get a good deal where the cost per bottle was negligable. At worst, you can always fill an old mineral water bottle with tap water at a location where you trust the supply, if you're that strapped for cash. (I don't bother with bottled water, as I've always found Thames Water Authority Premiere Cru perfectly palatable and I find the ecological cost of producing and distributing bottled water a bit silly. Overseas, however...)

Flying dehydrates, and I simply can't believe that crew comfort is really so low down on the list of priorities... is it that bad?

R

OLBA18
14th Jul 2001, 15:36
This sort of pennypinching would make me wonder what the general attitude within my company was to pilots and whether there were actually any better jobs out there!

GlueBall
14th Jul 2001, 16:18
If an airline is rationing bottled water for crew then there must be larger problems on the horizon.

411A
14th Jul 2001, 17:52
Interesting to note that many corporate heavy iron operators have water purification systems installed in order eliminate any problems with tea, coffee, etc. from uplifted potable water.
If you ever saw one of the potable water tanks cut open (when an aircraft is parted out) you would never EVER drink water from one. Very bad news indeed.

BRL
14th Jul 2001, 18:05
Cutting back on WATER..Jeesus, how tight can you get...? :mad:

Are the crews going to do anything about this.? What are the unions doing about it too..?

If they cut back on the water then go on strike..!! Health and safety and all that !!

Arkroyal
14th Jul 2001, 18:07
A very false economy when half the pilots are off sick!

Just hope our lot don't follow suit