PDA

View Full Version : West of Birmingham near Wolverhampton

midlandsppl
10th Mar 2010, 22:04
I am hoping to start learning to fly soon anyone recommend an airfield or club please?

I live in Kidderminister now.

Thank you

S-Works
11th Mar 2010, 09:58
How about Wolverhampton> Half Penny Green.

Friendly bunch. I did an MCC over there a few years ago and had a lot of fun.

aerobat 1971
11th Mar 2010, 11:10
Or consider Wellesbourne. Distance wise, it's probably a little further. But you get a great choice of clubs and schools with very competitive rates. Have a look at all the options, visit the ones you like the look of and then make a choice. Most organizations will give you good training, although the quality of the training aircraft will vary :} However, high prices don't always equate to highest quality!

Cheers,

David.

midlandsppl
11th Mar 2010, 12:42
Thank you for that and the private messages too.

So
Halfpenny Green
Shobdon
Wellesbourne

or

Staverton.

Looked at Shobdon this morning, nice airfield-but scruffy clubhouse and no one welcomed me at all.

Bose, I do not understand EG., MCC? Unless its the Marleybourne Cricket Club? But thank you anyway but not into cricket!

Keith_P
11th Mar 2010, 12:46
I switched my PPL training to Wellesbourne mid-course and found the airfield great to fly from, the guys&girls in the tower very helpful and the school I chose (SWFS) a friendly and encouraging place to learn (and continue post-licence).

I'd recommend it without a moment's hesitation.

S-Works
11th Mar 2010, 12:57
Bose-you seem to be an instructor, from other posts you make-so why are you using abbreviations I do not understand EG., MCC? Unless its the Marleybourne Cricket Club? But thank you anyway but not into cricket!

Multi Crew Cooperation Course.

Accepted abbreviation and industry term is MCC, referred so in JAR FCL and LASORS. Also check out CRM while you are at it.

Pull what
11th Mar 2010, 14:30
Mids PPL-What you need to do is to speak to pilots who are doing PPL training at the airfields you mention.

Shobdon is a bit scruffy but it is a club run airfield and that is reflected in everything it does including the prices!

Halfpenny Green has had a few problems lately but a new flying school is starting there soon and I would be tempted to look at them as they are experienced operators and it is your nearest airfield.

Wellesbourne gets very busy at weekends.

Staverton is a bit of a haul from Kidderminister.

Good luck and safe flying

TrafficPilot
11th Mar 2010, 14:41
Hi midlandsppl

As Pull what said - I would also recommend trying Halfpenny Green. I'll be using it as my home base from May as I'm moving up to Birmingham from Oxford Airport.

Wellesbourne is nice but too far from Kidderminster unless you fancy the traffic on the M5/M42/M40.

Let us know how you get on?

Adam
TrafficPilot

Saab Dastard
11th Mar 2010, 16:36
I've rooted out the stupid pettiness in this thread (and the Logbook Entry thread).

I don't think it reflects well on anybody.

I have already observed some "coincidences" in the IP addresses of contributors to these threads.

Leave it out.

SD

madlandrover
11th Mar 2010, 19:45
I'm a little biased, but with an aircraft based at Halfpenny Green (and ex-student of the school that went bump recently) I'll recommend the Green to anyone. Sensible fees, very sensible AFISOs, and the cafe is improving bit by bit, even if it's not quite up to Shobdon or Wellesbourne yet! Airspace structure around is very uncomplicated and means most flights can be completed without weather issues. 2 existing perfectly adequate fixed wing schools, and as Pull What says there's a new school starting within the next week or so - using some of the ex-Flight Centre staff, but with a rather different & more GA focused business ethic!

Bose: the old place's MCC was indeed good, did several as a rent-a-pilot. Rumour has it that the MCC side might survive in some form. Had the pleasure of 2 very experienced instructors, so it's good to hear that not all was lost!

rn750
12th Mar 2010, 10:37
Which School went Bump?

Pull what
12th Mar 2010, 11:58
The Flight Centre at Halfpenny Green : Private Pilot Training PPL : Commercial Pilot (http://www.hgfc.co.uk/)
will explain

HG seems to have more flying schools come and go than any other Midlands airfield!

What happened to RJP?

1800ed
12th Mar 2010, 21:16
I did my PPL at Wellesbourne through Wellesbourne Aviation/PFT/Aeros (They changed ownership several times!). I'd definitely recommend them as they're a friendly bunch and the instructors are nice and helpful :)