PDA

View Full Version : Liability insurance for instructors

hugh flung_dung
10th Mar 2010, 17:11
I think about liability insurance from time to time and it always makes me worry for a while but then life moves on - it's one of those times again. I think there are 4 scenarios which affect me: instucting for a school (covered by the school), LAA coach (covered by the LAA), freelance instructing (exposed) & examining (exposed).

Do most FIs have liability cover?
The AOPA scheme seems quite expensive at virtually £226; is there a cheaper option?

HFD

S-Works
10th Mar 2010, 17:49
Not much in the way of options. I use the AOPA scheme which is with Besso. To be fair though, work pay the premium which is a bit eyewatering.

Captain Jock
12th Mar 2010, 19:03
If you think the premium is eye watering just wait until someone makes a claim against you!!

S-Works
13th Mar 2010, 09:03
I think you are preaching to the choir on that one CJ!! I have the insurance for that exact reason. However it does not negate the eyewatering fee!!

spittingimage
16th Mar 2010, 22:10
Never had liability insurance while I was instructor. Crossed fingers and hoped for best. Looks like I got away with it :} ... unless of course some disgruntled ex-student comes after me in 20 years time saying from his hospital bed that I taught PFLs badly ! Hmm .. how does one cover oneself against that little scenario then ? Pay for liability insurance each year in perpetuity ?

SI