PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAA Frozen ATPL to Transport Canada Licence

flyinuphi
9th Mar 2010, 12:54
Hi,

I have tried to scout around and source this information myself from other forums but either I'm blind or ignorant or both but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a JAA frozen ATPL with an MCC course with only around 250 hours TT. I have dual nationality British/Canadian and due to lack of prospects here in the UK of finding work would like to try my luck hour building anywhere that would take me in Canada. I was wondering the steps required to go through in converting. There is a wealth of information to convert to JAA but not so much for the other way around.

As I understand it the UK class 1 medical is sufficient but I must complete the Canadian theory tests (3 exams SAMRA SARON INRAT) and a flight test. As there is no such thing as a "frozen ATPL" in Canada as such, what does the flight test entail? I am guessing demonstration of emergency handling and ability to fly procedural and non procedural approaches. Also does being on an integrated course make a difference - i.e. letters and reports from flight school?

I have checked out the Transport Canada website but still it all seems quite confusing. If anyone has done this I'd really appreciate some pointing in the right direction. I understand the Canadian market is probably just as scarce for employment but I feel it's always good to keep those options open.

If anyone has any success stories of doing this and finding low time work I'd love to hear from you. Unfortunately securing that first job seems to be so who you know not what you know....

moneytonoise
9th Mar 2010, 16:37
Flyinuphi,

With 250 hours you will be working on gaining a Canadian CPL which will require you to obtain a Class I medical and sit a single exam for the commercial and another for the instrument rating. You will also have to undergo a CPL flight Test and a Multi-IFR flight test. The SAMRA and SAMRON you can sit at 750 hours once you are half way to the 1500hr requirement for an ATPL. No such thing as a Frozen ATPL in Canada or the US.
Hope that helps.

SAS-A321
19th Mar 2010, 21:53
I recently spoke with a lady from TC, that said that they would only recognize solo hours from a JAA pilot. :ugh: Dual hours has to be done with a Canadian instructor. You better get that confirmed, as she might have misunderstood something, cause it sounds ridiculous.

Rhys Perraton
20th Mar 2010, 02:25
Hello, the info from the last person is correct. You would only qualify for a CPL and you will have to have a Canadian Class 1 medical, pass the written and flight tests and meet all the requirements in tems of hours etc for a Canadian licence.
Unfortunately it is a sad fact of life that different TC offices in different locations will give you conflicting information so do get it in writing, probably from Ottawa would be best.
Good luck.

alfredo sauce
1st Sep 2010, 17:56
Hey guys i have a question regarding this matter:
I understand that having a frozen ATPL will only qualify you for a Canadian CPL here, because the whole idea of a frozen ATPL is non existent here. But say: Someone who is canadian and holds a JAA ATPL with an a320 type-rating and 2000+ hrs.. would that change circumstances and would all the hours be recognized?
*all the above is of course hypothetical and assumes the market here is fine and the majors are hiring.

jurassic
3rd Sep 2010, 01:54
Earning a Canadian ATPL is not based on a person possessing an ATPL or frozen ATPL from another country. What qualifies you is meeting the Canadian hours requirement (refer to CARS) having a Canadian CAT 1 medical and completing the 3 exams. You must also have a Canadian Multi IFR ride. This can be done in sim as part of a PPC or completed in a light twin. Your foreign Licence - Commercial or ATPL is only needed to get you in the door for your ride. A foreign ATPL does not gaurantee that you will meet the requirements for a Canadian ATPL. One big factor is that F/O time is counted at 50%. There is also some minimum PIC times that sometimes present a hurdle for pilots coming out of a cadet type program or acquired an F/O position straight out of training. Read the ATPL hours requirement VERY carefully. Also PIC under supervision (foreign) will not be recognized by TC. PIC is when you sign for the airplane. If your name isn't in the logbook as Captain with your signature beside it, then it ain't PIC

Hope this helps.

alfredo sauce
3rd Sep 2010, 14:05
Exactly what i was looking for, thanks for clarifying that.
Cheers

fitliker
3rd Sep 2010, 22:29
Relax ,the flight test for the commercial licencecan be done in a Cessna 150.
So it should be cheap as there are no suprises on the flight test.
Basically take it around the patch without killing the examiner and you will pass:ok:

alfredo sauce
4th Sep 2010, 19:37
haha hope so! i'll keep that in mind. thanks!:ok:

jd_jader
20th Sep 2010, 18:47
flyinuphi Write me in private! Gotta tell you something!
JD

jd_jader
22nd Sep 2010, 19:32
So, SPIC hours are not regognized as PIC hours?? :bored: