PDA

View Full Version : Seaford 8P LGW

HeathrowAirport
9th Mar 2010, 10:28
Hello,

I was just wondering why SFD8P Departures go to FIN, and If they actually do.

Slightly confused because the path of the SFD8P takes them towards TIMBA/WILLO HOLLY stack flight paths (Intermediate), not the Final Approach path.. Where I believe they are climbed to MSL before hand-off to LONDON.

I would have thought logically they go to INT, but Jeppesen Charts also say FIN.

Any real KK ATCO's able to shed some light on this.

Cheers.

Vortex Issues
9th Mar 2010, 10:56
The reason is to share the workload. When it's not busy both FIN and INT positions are usually band-boxed so the same controller will work all the aircraft. When busy the FIN controller is works all outbounds that will affect the approach sequence hence why on 08 they work the SFD dep. It's not really an issue because the FIN controller will just hold on to the aircraft until clear of the sequence, then climb it to MSL and once clear of remaining traffic transferred to London.

There have been discussions in the ops room about whether INT or FIN should work the SFD. I am of the opinion it should stay as it is because the last thing you want to worry about when busy on INT is the outbound checking in. FIN has more time to do the admin (ie ident etc) with the SFD.

mr.777
9th Mar 2010, 18:17
It is FIN's responsibility to provide separation between departures and any inbound traffic under the control of KK where a confliction may occur.

If the sector is split then FIN will work it, if its bandboxed then INT will work it (although still on 118.950).

KKFIN
9th Mar 2010, 18:44
FIN takes them for the reasons above, in addition to the levels in question. Any early decents to altitudes by INT have to be taken into consideration when dealing with SFD out's on East.

HeathrowAirport
9th Mar 2010, 18:54
Hello Guys,

Thanks very much. I get an Understanding now - I supposes its a tactical thing?

KKFIN
9th Mar 2010, 18:58
Everything in Air Traffic is tactical. Handing an aircraft off on a heading rather than direct to a fix is a tactical decision, even if it doesn't help you. Assisting the next sector could be the difference between a normal, safe, expeditious flow of traffic and developing traffic situation.