PDA

View Full Version : Factual report from the free world....

shiftpattern
9th Mar 2010, 09:08
Dubai - Quicksand - Foreign Correspondent - ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2009/s2841143.htm)

Desert Dawg
9th Mar 2010, 11:24
I Know Herve Jaubert well.... A good guy in my opinion.

Have just finished reading his book - what a story!!

FlyingCroc
9th Mar 2010, 11:29
in Dubai, will not be too long and the place turns into a wasteland. Now even the shark aquarium in the Atlantis leaks water into the Mall!

ByeByeDubai
9th Mar 2010, 13:59
Anyone going to the UAE should watch this and take note.

There are many ways to get into the quicksand in Dubai!!

169west
9th Mar 2010, 15:25
... better learn how to eat with chopsticks?

skysod
9th Mar 2010, 17:55
Well said tornspar.......Dubai still looks great from my balcony on the Palm and in the infinity pool where I spend my standby days............beats the hell out of the the gloomy wet skies of Manchester.......wouldn't want to be anywhere else..........Dubai rocks!!:):):)

ekwhistleblower
9th Mar 2010, 20:15
Alternatively from Reuters:

March 8 - Investor fears around the $26 billion debt restructuring of
troubled conglomerate Dubai World [DBWLD.UL] eased on Monday as creditors
including HSBC (HSBA.L) and Standard Chartered (STAN.L) were expected to discuss a repayment strategy in London this week.

FlyingCroc
9th Mar 2010, 20:25
It had to be a Brit that loves Dubai more than his home country. :E

gadgetman
10th Mar 2010, 06:33
Dubai's new slogan: come to Dubai, it's sunnier than Manchester!

Hardly setting the bar very high there are we.

halas
10th Mar 2010, 06:54
Would that be the Islamic Republic of Manchester? :}

halas

Fart Master
10th Mar 2010, 08:06
Last 3 posts.....brilliant. I thought it was Bradistan (Bradford for those not in the know):ok:

Matt101
10th Mar 2010, 10:38
in Dubai, will not be too long and the place turns into a wasteland. Now even the shark aquarium in the Atlantis leaks water into the Mall!

Sure you live in Dubs? - Your Mall Geography is a tadd off.... :)

nolimitholdem
10th Mar 2010, 10:41
Let's face it, Dubai was MADE for chavs who like to brag about their "infinity pools" and feel some sense of superiority that they live in the B.O. capital of the world...

:}

skysod
12th Mar 2010, 12:13
From what I've seen so far, I left all the "Chavs" back home !!:)

nolimitholdem
12th Mar 2010, 13:28
Better take another look in the mirror me old son!

Nope, no slicked-back hair greasy hairy-backed shell suit wearers in Dubai, no sirree! Enjoy the Palm while it lasts...apparently the sea is trying to reclaim it, when the money runs out to keep backfilling it that's all she wrote!

You can lie to me and you can lie to yourself but you can't lie to good ol' Ma Nature!

:}

5star
15th Mar 2010, 14:29
Need more?

Another day in Paradise...:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime/couple-to-appeal-public-kissing-verdict-in-dubai-1.595649

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

NG_Kaptain
15th Mar 2010, 23:54
"Need more?

Another day in Paradise...:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...dubai-1.595649"

What was the emerati woman doing at 2:00AM with her kids at a restaurant? Should't they be in bed?

Al Fakhem
16th Mar 2010, 02:32
NG_Kaptain:

She's Emirati, so she can do no wrong :ugh: Anyway, better have kids witness the daily madness of murderous driving, needless deaths on construction sites and similar fabulous Emirati cultural virtues than any act of kindness - that's the sandpit philosophy :D

fluffy5
16th Mar 2010, 04:11
What do you expect !!!
When you walk ino the restaurant smelling of alcohol and next to a local with their kids and start kissing and touching :ugh::ugh::ugh:
This just shows how completely naive some expats just are.
What really sucks is that many expats actually believe that it's ok because it is in Dubai the most wonderous city.
I have been here for many years now and it just bite's that the locals develop their hotels and massive funding for the tourisim industry and the goverment want to bring people in and make money from tourists.
And once the tourists arrive lets bend them over and shaft them, for a misdemeanor.
words cannot explain how these guys out here operate....
fluffy

NG_Kaptain
17th Mar 2010, 20:02
My point exactly fluffy. At 2:00AM, in an establishment that serves alcohol what right does that woman have bringing her children there. If I'm out at that hour I've normally had a few and my partner will also normally be showing me some affection. Guess I better stay home rather than risk arrest and deportation.:ugh::ugh:

VIMANMAN
17th Mar 2010, 23:27
Airline workers face 3 months in jail over texts - News- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35910602/?gt1=43001)

I guess this is status quo over there......
Where can I get an application for job @ EK.....

Dixons Cider
18th Mar 2010, 07:44
it just bite's that the locals develop their hotels and massive funding for the tourisim industry and the goverment want to bring people in and make money from tourists.
And once the tourists arrive lets bend them over and shaft them, for a misdemeanor.

Exactly.
The old saying "They have the cake, and they want to eat it too" springs to mind.

maimax
18th Mar 2010, 07:55
...there is a very nice bar and eating place just by the metropolitan hotel on SZR, where she can take her kids next....activities start earlier than 2am and i guess the police don't know the place yet ....yawn

fjordviking
18th Mar 2010, 08:22
Don`t rattle the cage, or was it the snake?:rolleyes:

lpokijuhyt
18th Mar 2010, 09:24
Do most employees of EK, EY, etc. use VPN (virtual private networks) to do the internet connection? I would think so, since the IP is then untraceable.

harry the cod
18th Mar 2010, 14:51
Oooh, no chance. That would be illegal wouldn't it? Just like naughty texting and kissing at 2am ........oh, and consuming alcohol! :confused:

However, driving like a moronic cretin, ripping people off with substandard property and not paying construction workers for 3 months is okay. There's plenty more but i'd rather go and have a beer than get worked up discussing the blatant racism and hypocricy of this place.

Harry