PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Safety Bonus Day 17th April 2010 - FREE

alphaalpha
8th Mar 2010, 18:21
Duxford Bonus Safety Day 17th April 2010

Duxford Airfield has been running special Bonus Days for the last four years and they will continue in 2010.

On 17th April, to kick-off the flying season, we will have a FREE informal Safety Bonus Day – Fly-in or Drive-in

Following the successful 2008 and 2009 events, the Safety day will be a mixture of informal presentations and opportunities to chat to the professionals and ask the questions that have been bothering you. The presentations will be repeated, so you can arrive and leave when it suits you best. The Safety Day will be held in the new AirSpace Hangar and is open from 10.30 until 16.30; the airfield is open from 10.00 until 18.00 (local time).

The program has something for every GA pilot:

There will be three presentations running from 11.30 in the morning and repeated at 14.00 in the afternoon:

Collision Avoidance (David Cockburn, CAA) at 11.30 and 14.00
Avoiding Controlled Airspace Infringements (Jonathan Smith, NATS) at 12.00 and 14.30
How D & D Can help you (Martin Smith, D&D) at 12.30 and 15.00

As last year there will be a set of informal table-top chats – walk around and talk to the experts:

CAS Infringements: AWARE demonstration; radar replays; listening squawks etc (Jonathan Smith, NATS)
Practical tips on using AIS Notam System & Demo (Colin Potter AIS)
CAA topics (David Cockburn, CAA)
What the London FIS can do - meet the FIR FISOs (London FIR FISOs)
CFI Corner - licencing, renewals, ratings - all you wanted to ask(Carol Cooper CFI and CAA Examiner at Andrewsfield)
The extended London LARS - meet a controller (Andy McKnight, NATS Farnborough)
See how D&D can help - it's no trouble (Martin Smith, D&D)
The AOPA Mentoring Scheme – extend an improve your flying (the AOPA team)
AFPEx Demonstrations - the new way to file your flight plans (AFPEx help desk team, NATS)

In recognition of the importance of the Safety theme, there’s no charge at all for landing and the Safety Day programme. Also, if the weather is poor on 17th April, or if you can’t fly in, you can come in free by car – but you must pre-book. Call 01223 833376 01223 833376 to arrange your PPR. To avoid congestion, we are operating a 'broad slot' system to spread landing times - so call soon!

It will be a great day out – interesting and informative and at a fantastic fly-in venue.

The airfield team look forward to hearing from you ( 01223 833376 01223 833376) and seeing you on the day.

The next discounted Duxford Bonus Day for all aircraft is 22nd May 2010.

Just for people who don’t know, I should declare my interest. I’m a casual FISO at Duxford. I’m also a pilot who thinks the place is pretty marvellous.

Alan.

alphaalpha
18th Mar 2010, 14:41
The popular slot times are starting to fill up now. Book your slot sooner rather than later if you want a morning slot.

Alan.

alphaalpha
12th Apr 2010, 16:59
Here's a quick update as at Monday 12th April:

We've got about 90 aircraft and 15 cars booked in so far. All the popular times in the morning (until 12 local time) are booked out. I have checked on likely Duxford-based movements for the day and it is likely that there will be fewer Rapide movements in the morning than I originally expected.

So we have increased the number of aircraft in each 'broad slot' of 15 minutes from 10.00 until 13.00. If you want to come in the morning, call very soon to get your slot and PPR. 01223 833376. I turned away one person today who was coming from the west and needed a morning slot - please call again.

There a plenty of free slots in the afternoon - remember the three lectures are repeated at 14.00, 14.30, 1500 and the table-top sessions all run continuously until 16.30.

I heard today that the AFPEx folk at Swanwick are sending two of the help-desk team to demonstrate and lead you by the hand. So if this new way of filing and managing your flight plans still seems to be a black art, come along and meet them and have a go. You can bring along your favourite flight plan and see exactly how to file it. Help in signing up for a user name will also be available.

AOPA are holding a meeting for their mentors in the Briefing Room on the first floor of the tower, so this will not be generally available to Safety Day visitors. However, we will put departure weather information in the pilot receptiuon portacabin (at the eastern end of the field, near the AirSpace hangar and manned by Pete and John) and anybody who needs more is welcome to pop up to the tower.

Let's hope this weather holds.........

Alan.

alphaalpha
15th Apr 2010, 13:34
The volcanic ash situation is obviously developing rapidly as the day goes on and nobody can second guess what Saturday will bring.

Our position is:

Duxford airfield is ops-normal now and we have no reason so far to believe that will change.

None of the booked pilots had filed IFR flight plans, so will not be affected by the IFR embargo.

Just as always, any pilot flying in is responsible for their own decisions as to fly or not.

The Safety Day will go ahead as planned.

Any pilot booked by aircraft will be able to drive in. Enter through the normal visitor entrance and look for the Safety day parking signs.

Based on the last year, nearly half of the pilots who were unable to fly-in to the Safety day because of bad weather came by car. If that happens this year, we will still have a worthwhile day.

Alan.

alphaalpha
17th Apr 2010, 05:19
Saturday morning at Duxford and it looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. Here's the Stansted TAF:

EGSS 170503Z 1706/1812 VRB05KT 0200 FG VV/// BECMG 1706/1708 6000 SCT010 BECMG 1708/1710 CAVOK PROB30 1800/1807 5000 BR

Looking out of the window 2 miles from the airfield at 0615 local time there's no fog and no cloud, but it is a bit misty and we have had a ground frost.

It will be very busy at Duxford today. Please, keep a good look out, be patient, be safe.

Alan.

neilgeddes
17th Apr 2010, 06:19
Thanks for your Duxford update. Hoping to fly in from Redhill this morning though must wait to check with ATC there. Biggin Hill is already Notamed as closed. What time will you be available on the phone this morning? Thanks.

alphaalpha
17th Apr 2010, 06:25
I'll be there from 0800 local, but will be out of the tower for a while doing the inspection.

Some mist has formed now 07.20, local, vis looks to be about 1000-1500 m.
Sun is shining above, so I hope itr burns off quickly.

Alan.

Robin Driver
17th Apr 2010, 21:55
I'd just like to say a big thank you to all at Duxford who made the day a great success. Plenty of aircraft and fantastic weather.

The guys from Caernarfon really enjoyed it and we'll see you again soon.

Thanks again.

alphaalpha
17th Apr 2010, 22:06
Robin Driver: Thanks for that; glad you enjoyed the day and do come again.

Alan.

XXPLOD
18th Apr 2010, 07:03
A friend and I flew in. Terrific day, thanks to all involved!

sammypilot
18th Apr 2010, 08:32
On behalf of those from Liverpool who attended, can I endorse the previous remarks. A very well organised day, full of interest, helped of course by great weather. Many thanks to everybody who helped with the organisation.

Alan_D
19th Apr 2010, 11:17
I attended also, though by car instead of aircraft - I fly from a military field and they have grounded GA operations at the moment due to the volcanic ash situation :*.
I echo the other comments - it was a good day and well organised, although my hard-of-hearing father struggled to hear some of the talkers properly.