PDA

View Full Version : How do you call that vehicle?

Ryoji
8th Mar 2010, 08:59
Hello, I really appreciate if you could tell me how you, professional pilots, call that vehicle which is used in airports to blow snow from airplanes with hot water(?) in winter time.

Thank you very much in adcvance!!

call100
8th Mar 2010, 10:03
De-icing rig.....:} It's not hot water it's heated de-icing fluid and it melts the snow and ice. The snow is not 'Blown off'.

supraspinatus
8th Mar 2010, 10:25
At my airport we call it "de-icing truck". Because that is what it is, a truck with de-icing cannon.

But there are cheaper versions, more like a lift with a bloke with a super soaker on it. (I guess it would be nice in summer, but who needs de-icing then?)

call100
8th Mar 2010, 11:47
I wouldn't want to get drenched in de-icing fluid summer or winter!!!:eek:

Ryoji
10th Mar 2010, 01:01
Hi, Call100 and Spraspinatus!

Thank you so much for your reply. I will call it a deicing truck from now on.

Thank you again for your help!

Ryoji:)

mad_jock
10th Mar 2010, 01:05
See if you know what the honey wagon is?

call100
10th Mar 2010, 11:18
I've only heard it called that at Scottish airports...We have another name for it down here.:}
Unless the name is spreading in popularity!???:)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Mar 2010, 16:34
San Dan at EGLL!

j_davey
10th Mar 2010, 18:18
Trotts Tractor....

bfisk
11th Mar 2010, 07:28
To answer your question, which I believe none of the previous answers have, we normally use VHF radio. There's normally a discrete frequency for us to talk to the deicers on.

If they are not expecting us already (ie everyone is deicing...) a call to ops, or directly to the tower at the smaller airports, will normally establish contact :)

(And what we call them... is usually just "deice")

call100
11th Mar 2010, 15:34
Trotts Tractor....
Plain old 'Bog Bowser' around here!!:}

call100
11th Mar 2010, 15:36
To answer your question, which I believe none of the previous answers have, we normally use VHF radio. There's normally a discrete frequency for us to talk to the deicers on.

If they are not expecting us already (ie everyone is deicing...) a call to ops, or directly to the tower at the smaller airports, will normally establish contact :)

(And what we call them... is usually just "deice")
I don't think that's what he meant to be honest.........:)