PDA

View Full Version : GA logbooks

Marlboro_2002
8th Mar 2010, 00:06
hi,

just wondering if G registered airplanes also have airplane logbooks where you have to register the PF, the hours flown, and if wether these books have to be shown regularly to the FAA.

Regards,

Mark 1
8th Mar 2010, 04:26
UK registered aircraft have log books for the airframe engines and propellers, essentially as a record of inspection and maintenance. They will record the days n which the aircraft flew and the number of flights, but there is no requirement to record details of the crew.
The FAA have no jurisdiction over UK registered aircraft and no powers to inspect them outside of operations in the USA.
The CAA may audit them on occasions, generally in connection with scheduled maintenance.

IO540
8th Mar 2010, 07:07
The FAA have no jurisdiction over UK registered aircraft and no powers to inspect them outside of operations in the USA.
The CAA may audit them on occasions, generally in connection with scheduled maintenance.

Would you mind expanding on the above?

englishal
8th Mar 2010, 08:37
Reading between the lines here, what Marlboro_2002 seems to be asking is:

"If I log something different in my own personal logbook to what was logged in the aircraft logbook, will I get found out?"

?

Marlboro_2002
8th Mar 2010, 21:06
Dear englishal,

not quite what I was looking for.
I am an A330 rate F/O flying for an european airline. I have never lied nor have I currently the need to do so, regarding logged flight hours.

The reason for posting the thread was curiosity. I am thinking of buying a Cessna 152 that is G registered.
People who forge their personal logbooks are easily discovered during sim evaluation. You just don't make certain "inexperience revealing" mistakes as the hours are summed up under your belt.

Regards,

Genghis the Engineer
8th Mar 2010, 23:26
Why on earth would a pilot of your experience want to fly something so deeply uninspiring as a C152? Safe admittedly - but cramped, ugly, slow and expensive to run.

Anyhow, answering the question - I'd not expect pilots logbook and aircraft tech-log entries to necessarily line up, and potentially for quite legitimate reasons. If the tech log is worked against tacho, but the pilots logbook against the clock for example. On the other hand time ground-running should be logged in the engine logbook, but not in the pilot's.

A flying hours summary is sent every 3 years to the CAA with the CofA renewal paperwork. If you go to G-INFO and enter the registration of the aircraft of interest, it'll show the most recently recorded hours.

G

englishal
9th Mar 2010, 08:54
not quite what I was looking for.
I am an A330 rate F/O flying for an european airline. I have never lied nor have I currently the need to do so, regarding logged flight hours.

The reason for posting the thread was curiosity. I am thinking of buying a Cessna 152 that is G registered.
People who forge their personal logbooks are easily discovered during sim evaluation. You just don't make certain "inexperience revealing" mistakes as the hours are summed up under your belt.
Sorry, my mistake though I think your post shows a lot of naivety for an A330 F/O....But You have obviously done well, as a year ago you were flying the ATR-72 so well done :ok:

PS Change your profile to reflect you have a ATP rather than a PPL ;)

IO540
9th Mar 2010, 11:02
Aircraft maintenance is done according to airborne time.

Pilot logbooks are written up according to brakes off to brakes on (that's when you are the "captain").

So the two will rarely line up. With the average GA flight of say 1hr, you are looking at a 20% or so difference straight away.

The incentives to forge are opposite: the incentive to forge aircraft logbooks is downwards, and the incentive to forge pilot logbooks is upwards :) A total Walter Mitty will be flying 1000hrs/year in a plane whose logbooks show 50hrs/year :)

Normally, nobody checks the logbooks for authenticity - stuff is necessarily done on trust. You can see the # of hours a G-reg has declared at the last Annual on the G-INFO public database. Checks are sometimes done if there is an accident.