PDA

View Full Version : Envy the people who get their Pilot training paid for them!

CaptainTC
6th Mar 2010, 21:55
I dont know about everyone else here, but i envy the people who have their Pilot training paid for them, they are sooooooo lucky and want to be greatful for the advantage they are getting. :eek:

kevmusic
6th Mar 2010, 22:41
What's the point? It just makes you resentful. Get over it!

CapCon
6th Mar 2010, 23:16
Don't envy them, join them instead. Apply to one/many of the numerous flying scholarships available and see what happens.

PilotPieces
7th Mar 2010, 04:55
Just think of all of them at the jobcentre queue collecting their doll money and you will feel better :ok:

flyprototype
7th Mar 2010, 05:16
my training was partly paid by the gov , parents and myself. i consider i was lucky for that, because I never borrowed money an I am debt free.

now i regret it. if I knew it was so painfull to get a job, pass tests, pay for rating, pay for hours, and live like a dog...I would have kept my money and become a dentist or open my small business.

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2010, 15:58
those who do get all or part of their flight training either paid for ... end up working for the privilege in the end

Not always the case - think about the GAPAN scholarships, for example.

chris-h
7th Mar 2010, 16:13
Why do the government pay for peoples PPL training...?

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2010, 16:20
They used to give RAF and RN Flying Scholarships - I had 30 of the then 35 hours for free :ok:

61 Lafite
7th Mar 2010, 18:54
those who do get all or part of their flight training either paid for ... end up working for the privilege in the end

Definitely not true: for those fortunate enough to fly on the scrimped and saved funding of their parents (or if their parents are just fortunate enough to afford it!), life sometimes just is a bowl of cherries!

Lafite

bingoboy
8th Mar 2010, 07:17
There are quite a few scholarships out there and plenty of folk fly for sheer enjoyment.

englishal
8th Mar 2010, 08:34
I paid for it all myself...and despite having a commercial license I have no wish to operate the gear and flaps on a Boeing at 05:00 on a sunday morning...other than maybe once or twice for a laugh. I did think about doing a 737 TR just for fun though, as I reckon it'd be a good challenge.

I fly for fun, but really my main goal is to prepare me for when I can afford my own Embraer Phenom...

(we can all dream can't we? :ok:)

DBChopper
8th Mar 2010, 17:18
Might this be a contender for Most Ridiculously Childish Thread Ever Started on PPRuNe? Good luck to them, however their flying is funded :ok:

Pilot DAR
8th Mar 2010, 18:22
Might this be a contender for Most Ridiculously Childish Thread Ever Started on PPRuNe?

Yes it is!

Sir Niall Dementia
9th Mar 2010, 10:39
I had all mine paid for (after ppl) and nowadays I do sometimes wonder whether I would do it again, especially on an 02:00 crew check in during January.

Eventually it just becomes another job, and the real joy of flying is the hours of just bimbling round the countryside in a small, wooden aeroplane enjoying the scenery.

I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunities I've had, but I hugely respect those who go from 0 hours to ATPL/IR at their own expense, and also those who decide to fly for fun, the ones who keep the flying clubs and small airfields alive in this country.