PDA

View Full Version : PPL to NPPL extra info required

modelman
3rd Mar 2010, 21:40
Due to the employment rug being pulled from under me,:{it looks doubtful that I am going to be able to complete enough hours this year before my SEP and Class 2 expires in November.I currently have 5 hours this year.
Still wishing to remain available for flight,can I switch to an NPPL (get a medical delaration from my GP).Can I carry any hours across and will the nppl become effective immediately for the normal duration?
I have used the search but cannot quite find the answer ( I know I can call Turweston but interesting to hear similar personal situations)
Any info gratefully received.
MM

J.A.F.O.
3rd Mar 2010, 21:49
I can't find the details right now (but if you check the NPPL website I'm sure you'll find something) but I'm fairly sure that you can fly on your PPL with a declaration as long as you stick to NPPL rules.

From the NPPL website:

The CAA have confirmed that JAR (expiring) and CAA (non-expiring) licences

(PPLs, BCPLs, R/RCPLs and any other pre JAR-FCL CAA-issued pilot licence) can be used with a NPPL medical to fly with privileges of the NPPL. However, it should be noted that the JAR PPL will expire and at that point, a NPPL must be applied for.

** You must keep your ratings valid **

There is no requirement at present for non-NPPL holders to submit copies of their medical declarations to the CAA unless they are asked to do so, normally in support of an application for a rating or on request of an authorised officer of the CAA.

IF YOU HAVE A PPL, NPLG LTD DO NOT REQUIRE A COPY OF YOUR MEDICAL DECLARATION

flybymike
3rd Mar 2010, 23:26
So if neither the CAA nor NPLG require sight of the medical declaration , how is anyone to know that such a declaration has ever been obtained or indeed refused?

S-Works
4th Mar 2010, 08:22
A bit of old fashioned trust? Wow, what an amazing concept, leaving the responsibility with the individual rather than the nanny state.

It is the responsibility of the pilot to have the correct paperwork. If they fly without a medical then they are illegal. Makes little difference who you send it to!

Modelman, you will invariably end up being charged by your own Dr for the NPPL declaration. I see you are in Daventry, give Frank Voeten a call for a Class 2. He is a superb AME and really friendly guy as well as charging a very fair rate for his services. He is at the Danetree on London Rd. If you are a Flyer Subscriber you get 10% discount as well!!

Whopity
4th Mar 2010, 08:43
Modelman

I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_756.pdf
There is further information on the CAA Website http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/AN%20Amendment%20Order%20Circular%20v%201%2000%2000.pdf However it is out of date, the ORS they refer to was superseded 6 months ago!

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
4th Mar 2010, 09:35
Hi Modelman,

It seems that you have two issues. One is the medical, which is covered by posters above. I'm assuming that you don't need to renew the Licence (JAA 5 Yr PPL(A)), which can't be renewed on the basis of a Declaration. The other issue is logging sufficient time to meet the revalidation by experience requirements of the SEP rating.

As an alternative to the NPPL route, you might consider continuing with your PPL(A). If when you get to November you don't have the hours to make the experience requirements (remember to include the Instructional Hour), you could revalidate the rating by check (LPC). This may turn out to cost no more than the instructional hour.

The renewal by check must be done with an examiner, rather than an FI or CRI. M'learned friend bose-x comes highly recommended by those who have take check rides with him, although he's too modest to admit it on here.

I hope you manage to keep flying and keep your eye in.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

flybymike
4th Mar 2010, 11:23
A bit of old fashioned trust? Wow, what an amazing concept, leaving the responsibility with the individual rather than the nanny state.

It is the responsibility of the pilot to have the correct paperwork. If they fly without a medical then they are illegal. Makes little difference who you send it to!

I quite agree. I just wonder when the CAA are going to be persuaded to stop asking for proof of full medicals, return of rating revalidations and renewals, proof of insurance etc etc and just accept that we are all as honest as the day is long.

modelman
4th Mar 2010, 18:10
Thanks everyone for all input-very encouraging.
Ref Bose's comment about Flyin' Dutch-already use him-super guy and very thorough and reasonable charges too. ( he's also my Mayor-he must have longer days than the rest of us!)
Just found I still have the HGV medical declaration from my GP and expires next April as I started training using this before getting my Class 2.
Not making any hasty decisions yet as things might pick up.
MM

flybymike
4th Mar 2010, 22:29
As a matter of interest would an HGV medical (obtained precisely for that declared purpose rather than for flying purposes) suffice for flying purposes? Would this be an easier thing to obtain from one's GP who might well not be familiar with, and apprehensive about, "approving" pilots to fly aeroplanes?

BEagle
5th Mar 2010, 05:15
No - see NPPL - General Introduction to the NPPL medical requirements | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=873)

If your quack has doubts, tell him/her to contact the CAA Chief Medical Officer. Or, if you are an AOPA / LAA member, he/she may contact the relevant organisation's medical advisor.

If you do not have the relevant 'NPPL' medical form, you may not fly as PIC.

Remember that you cannot apply for a JAR-FCL licence re-issue if you do not hold a JAA Medical Certificate.

If you wish to fly under the exemptions of ORS4 No.756, you must either:

Maintain your SEP Class Rating under JAR-FCL rules (except, obviously, for the medical).

Or:

Apply to the CAA not NPLG for an SSEA Class Rating which you will then need to maintain under National rules. There will an issue fee for the SSEA Class Rating as it is your choice rather than an obligation.