PDA

View Full Version : CX L1011's

Bluestar51
3rd Mar 2010, 18:46
Did CX operate any L1011-500s or were they all 385-1s?

Thx,

BS

pjac
3rd Mar 2010, 23:50
There were no 500s-the first 2 (HHK & HHL)were purchased from Lockheed and were the only Tri-stars in the fleet to have aux. fuel tanks, a couple were ex Court Line and the balance were ex Eastern. When the first Court Line aircraft arrived (HHV), it was operated for a while without a dump system-which did not sit well with many crew.

CV880
4th Mar 2010, 02:34
The two purchased new from Lockheed (VR-HHK and HHL) were 385-1-15's otherwise known as -100's. N328EA was purchased from Eastern, converted to a -100 by Lockheed and became VR-HHG. It was later sold to Gulf Air (registration A40-TV) who converted it to a -200 by installing RB211-524's.
All the other CX Tristars were 385-1's.

VR-HFX
4th Mar 2010, 07:08
HOE came from Air Lanka in 1988.
HMW was a late purchase that came from BA in 1993 and was leased to KA.
HOD and HOK also spent some time on lease to KA.
All the others came from Eastern, apart from the two Court Line a/c and HHK/HHL.

I think the max number operated was 19.

SMOC
4th Mar 2010, 07:24
All the gen here

The Cathay Pacific Tristar Story (http://asianaviationphotography.com/acatalog/The_Cathay_Pacific_Tristar_Story.html)

Basil
4th Mar 2010, 08:40
Little subsequent history:
It was later sold to Gulf Air (registration A40-TV)
Someone seemed to think TV had 'issues' and it became known as 'Tango Vicious'.
By and by comes a Notice to Crew: "Thou shalt NOT refer to TV as 'Tango Vicious'!"
I think they were concerned the pax would hear :}

Steve the Pirate
4th Mar 2010, 09:30
HMW was a late purchase that came from BA in 1993 and was leased to KA.There was something weird about HMW, now what was it......? Ah yes, I remember, the ailerons worked!

STP

VR-HFX
4th Mar 2010, 11:11
Can't remember the tail# but there was one of the ex-EA a/c that the cabin staff swore they saw ghosts in the lower galley...faces of the crew lost in the prang into the everglades.

Not too many problems considering the number of miles the fleet logged. Only the windshear incident in Narita (HOC?) and the rear pressure bulkhead that popped on Tug Wilson out of HK one day.

The Tristars made a lot of money for CX and put them on the map.

Remembered by most of the old guard fondly. I particularly liked the fix for the black rain that started coming out of the a/c system. :D

AGNES
4th Mar 2010, 11:41
Was it VRHOI (N318EA)? Some parts of the fatal Eastern Airlines FLT401 were salvaged and refitted into N318EA. The Ghost of FLT401 was also reported in NGC Air Crash Investigation programme.

Basil
4th Mar 2010, 11:44
the cabin staff swore they saw ghosts in the lower galley...faces of the crew lost in the prang into the everglades.
Yes, due stories about used spares, same in GF.
FC thought it a great joke to frighten the CC but these things can backfire a bit.
Had slight problem in Thai hotel where my kids were running around with latex rolling-eyed devil-mask. Manager asked me to have them desist due risk of staff getting jumpy and refusing to come in to work until exorcism put devil back in spirit house.