PDA

View Full Version : From radar to AFIS

Dr.Triax
3rd Mar 2010, 18:13
Hi guys,

This question is for anyone working as ATC with AFIS airports within his TMA. I would like to know how is the traffic transferred, I mean, under what conditions it is release to the FIZ from the radar controller. Is there a transfer FL/altitude? Is any type of clearance given before the transferal? Are there any type of LoA between facilities?
Thanks.

JohnnyEagle
4th Mar 2010, 07:48
hi, I work ACC and TMA with several AFIS. Our FDPS gives an estimate to the AFIS and we dont give any kind of release, since the AFIS have no mandate to control the traffic. We do, however, inform the AFIS if the trafic is cleared for another approach than expected, and abou sequence.

We often transfer the traffic early (long before leaving controlled airspace), if the pilots ask for a visual approach before leaving controlled airspace while on AFIS frequency, the AFIS has to call us for clearance.

We have a complete "Eurocontrol common format LoA" with every AFIS.

chevvron
4th Mar 2010, 09:14
Speaking as a retired radar controller who is now providing FIS, the procedure usually is to clear the inbound traffic to MSA or minimum alt on the SMAC chart, and when the pilot advises airport in sight, radar service is terminated and the pilot is instructed to contact destination. Alternatively the pilot can request an early call to destination prior to visual contact, but at my airfield in particular, this may result in an infringement of class A airspace if the pilot fails to spot the airfield.

JohnnyEagle
4th Mar 2010, 09:56
Forgot, we also terminate radar service before transfer (except for one AFIS, which is getting radar these days..). We have LLZ, VOR, NDB and/or GLS (GNSS based "ILS") approaches to all the AFIS.

chevvron
4th Mar 2010, 12:57
In the UK, all but one of the AFIS airfields are VFR only with no iaps.

Dr.Triax
4th Mar 2010, 16:54
Thanks guys for the replays!

Johnny, I've sent you a PM.

Chevron, iaps stands for instrumental app? Do you have an operational LoA or similar? How do you transfer the traffic to the radar controller? How far from the field?

chevvron
5th Mar 2010, 15:29
We tend to say iap instead of Instrument Approach Procedure.
The airfield where I work now has an loa with the airfield where I used to work regarding both IFR traffic and VFR traffic. In the case of an IFR departure from my present (AFIS) airfield, the pilot is told 'take off at your discretion, when airborne contact XXX radar on frequency ZZZ', so the radar controller can identify, deconflict from his own IFR traffic, and provide radar service at the appropriate altitude.

Dr.Triax
5th Mar 2010, 15:56
Chevvron, I'm very interested on the procedures described in the LoA.
Where you say The airfield where I work now has an loa with the airfield where I used to work regarding both IFR traffic and VFR traffic, you mean the arrival and departure procedures arec conflict between them? The other aerodrome gives radar service? I'm sending you a Private Message regarding some request, if that's ok.
Thanks!

Talkdownman
5th Mar 2010, 17:18
How do you transfer the traffic to the radar controller? How far from the field?

At aerodromes in the UK where AFIS is provided Rule 45 requires the commander of an aircraft flying within the aerodrome traffic zone to maintain a continuous watch on the appropriate radio frequency notified for communications at the aerodrome.

Prior to entering the ATZ arriving aircraft must obtain information from the flight information service unit to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the zone.

'take off at your discretion, when airborne contact XXX radar on frequency ZZZ'Rule 45 requires that listening watch must be maintained until the aircraft leaves the ATZ. There is nothing to prevent a second pilot from contacting radar 'early' to achieve the above.

In the UK, all but one of the AFIS airfields are VFR only with no iaps.Such aerodromes are VFR only 'in spirit' although under UK Instrument Flight Rules it is possible to fly IFR eg. by compliance with 'Minimum Height' Rule 33 (1) (d) in particular:

.....at an altitude not exceeding 3,000 feet above mean sea level and remains clear of cloud and with the surface in sight and in a flight visibility of at least 800 metres.

(This is not permitted at chevvron's base because part of his ATZ is within CAS where a minimum flight visibility of 3km is required!)