PDA

View Full Version : Flight to Spain info

stuartforrest
2nd Mar 2010, 11:08
I want to fly to Mallorca Son Bonet Airport in June from Blackpool and I wonder if anyone has any experience of how easy (or difficult) it would be. I have an IMC but of course that wont be that useful in France.

My Bonanza A36 wont have the range to get there in one hop without going slowly so I am considering a stop on the way down, perhaps at La Rochelle if its not too expensive to land there. If anyone has any other suggestions for the stop I would be interested.

I am particularly interested in how you handle the flight from the south of France to Mallorca. Do you just route down the coast towards Barcelona and then straight across to Mallorca?

dublinpilot
2nd Mar 2010, 11:55
Stuart,

Last time I was in La Rochelle, it was less than €10 landing fee.

Other options Toulouse Blagnac, about €11 and ask it's Airbus's base, you might get to see some interesting aircraft ;) They also had a pilot shop in the airport, if you find that you need something ;)

Perpignan was also pretty cheap.

I seem to remember some VFR restrictions in Barcellona, which meant going either out to see to avoid the zone, or well inland.

As for Mallorca itself, I've no experience. Sorry.

dp

VFR Transit
2nd Mar 2010, 13:47
Check your PM

VFR

chris-h
2nd Mar 2010, 17:30
Hi, Iv just read that an A36 aircraft has a cruise speed of 193mph..
How long would that trip take and if you decide what route youre taking please let us know :-)

chris

stuartforrest
9th Mar 2010, 20:10
Yes it would be about 4 hours for the trip but I would route a slightly longer way and refuel as my range would be marginal.

rokami93
10th Mar 2010, 11:07
It all depends on your flying. If you fly IFR, no surprises will be met. If you file VFR, plan to avoid Barcelona and Tarragona by all means and wider than you would usually do it. There are VFR-corridors around Barcelone, but basically they will try to put you on 1000 ft AGL and follow the VFR-corridor 20-40 miles outbound of Barcelone. I usually fly over the sea in order to avoid Barcelone.

Actually, if you wanted to file VFR, you will need the charts to avoid certain airspaces.

For a fuel stop, France is definitely cheaper and more suitable than any airfield in Spain. Get information on the opening hours and fuel availability before chosing your airfield. In France, very often you need a fuel-card and on Sundays some airports might be closed.

My favourite fuel stop is LFMZ, Lezignan Corbieres. No traffic, only one friendly controller and very fast service. If you file it only as a technical stop, you will be able to continue on your flightplan.

French controllers are easy to deal with and if you just tell them you fly on the coastline, eventually before crossing the border, Toulouse will hand you over to Girona. Max VFR-altitude in Spain is 10000 ft.

If you fly VFR, try to overfly the Pyrenees at the coast, where they are still shallow. The tend to have some nasty weather, CBs and turbulence further up North, even if 30 miles before and after the weather is absolutely fine.

When overflying the Med, make sure you have studied your charts as you will be vectored to waypoints by Palma approach and then to Son Bonet. LESB is a GA-friendly airport, you will need a safety vest and you will be checked by a friendly policeman if it is your first landing. Have your documention and passport ready.

172driver
10th Mar 2010, 12:59
Max VFR-altitude in Spain is 10000 ft.

Not so. It's FL 200 in Barcelona and Madrid FIR, FL 150 in the Canaries. Higher may be authorized by ATC. Reference Spanish AIP.