PDA

View Full Version : Adventure flights for charities

CraigyD
1st Mar 2010, 16:33
Hi all, probably a stupid random thread that has had little thought put into it....

Just got back from a run and the endorphins have left me feeling optimistic and in the mood for a challenge. Whilst running I was thinking about recent articles I had read about people completing adventure flights and people who had done various long distance running\riding to raise money for charity and thought, I'd like to do both combined. Something like fly to various places to take part in marathons or something. I was thinking I'd like to promote charities like sport relief and charities that offer the expirience to fly to those who might not other wise have the opportunity.

Im young and have a PPL with only 90 hours, bored of working for the man and want to do some good with my life and see the world. Is this just a pipe dream to organise and take part in these types of trips? Where would I start and how the hell do people fund these trips? Surely they don't foot the money for their own aircraft, fuel, maintainence, landing fees, equipment etc do they? If so, yes, it is a pipe dream!

Anyway, I need a shower and to stretch off before I regret this run!!

Happy flying (and running if this floats your boat also!) :ok:

Craigyd

flyingfemme
1st Mar 2010, 17:20
Nice thought, CD, but I think you were beaten to it.....

Sir Ranulph Fiennes did seven marathons, in seven days, on seven continents after a double heart bypass. Don't suppose he had trouble getting his expenses covered.

The problem with feats of aviation is that the sums of money required to actually do them tend to dwarf anything that might be left to give to charity. If you are young, inexperienced and don't own an aircraft it will be quite tough to get the basics in place.

CraigyD
1st Mar 2010, 17:43
seven marathons, in seven days, on seven continents

Thats pretty impressive!!

Well, if someone out there with a plane fancies an adventure please do let me know!

Katamarino
2nd Mar 2010, 14:40
It can certainly be done, but I think it would be very difficult if you did not have your own aircraft, and were not able to provide a decent amount of your own funding (not totally impossible however; I know of at least one guy who did a round the world flight and through sponsorship manged to acquire the brand-new plane, all the funds needed for the flight, and also money for charity!)

You'll also need to be ready for a lot of hostility from some in the flying community if you try and do something for charity off the back of an adventurous flying trip or event too, for some reason! I still haven't worked out why, logically - all I can think of is jealousy, or good old schadenfreunde. See the thread on here about the guy trying to break the "time aloft" world record, for a start.

However, there'll be a lot more people who think it's great, so don't be too disheartened by the nay-sayers! Having only 90 hours is not a total barrier to entry; I did a flight from Florida to California and back with just 150 hours, and even then people were telling me I was far too inexperienced (despite how easy US flying really is!)

Maoraigh1
2nd Mar 2010, 20:51
"I know of at least one guy who did a round the world flight and through sponsorship manged to acquire the brand-new plane, all the funds needed for the flight, and also money for charity"
Seems to me the charities were used to get personal gain by that guy. Did the public ever know what percentage of the money raised went to the charities, and what percentage was costs?

Katamarino
5th Mar 2010, 07:10
Welcome to Experience Aviation (http://www.experienceaviation.org/)

That.

If he hadn't done the flight, his charity wouldn't have received anything. So who lost out, exactly? Seems to me that everyone is a winner.