PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Flying Schools

teen_pilot_95
28th Feb 2010, 21:58
Hi,

I've been doing some flying with Cumbernauld Flying School and I have become disillusioned with flying with them.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives.

Cheers.

TP95

'India-Mike
28th Feb 2010, 22:27
First, ask yourself why you're disillusioned with your current school, and whether or not this can be sorted by talking openly with instructor, CFI or owner - however intimidating you might find that to be, or otherwise.

Second, if the answer to the question is indeed to leave your existing school, ask yourself what you want in a replacement. Then you and only you will be able to select an alternative from the following list, and then only once you've visited them all:

Leading Edge (Cumbernauld) - C152's (or 150's, not sure which)
Glasgow Flying Club (Glasgow) - PA38's
Prestwick Flying Club (Prestwick) - PA28's
Prestwick Flight Centre (Prestwick) - a selection of types
Leading Edge (Perth) - Cessnas again
Scottish Aero Club (Perth) - not sure what types

If you want to include microlights then Strathaven isn't too far from Airdrie, although Balado might be.

Good luck

teen_pilot_95
28th Feb 2010, 23:02
Its more a case of attitude within the school itself.

Had a look at Leading Edge but it was too busy to make an enquiry.
Was at PFC when I took a Robin down after a tech fault and it looked quite decent. I also like the look of EFC but it is a bit expensive obviously because of landing fees etc at BAA Airports.

I suppose it is just a case of looking at alternatives because attitude isn't something that can be fixed.

cal368
1st Mar 2010, 10:24
As someone who formerly did ops at Leading Edge I'm obviously biased. But I'd suggest that as the school was busy this is a healthy indicator. Anyway, pop in anytime and speak to John McGeough on the ops desk in the shop. He's in Friday-Monday this week, but he will make time for you if you go in and speak to him. If you pop in any other time one of the instructors will be delighted to talk to you. I will pass on some contact details to you in a pm.

One wee thing I'd like to add is that if you are looking for somewhere with Katanas as far as I'm aware there are no places locally that use them. I know that older Cessna 152's, PA28's and PA38's all the aforementioned schools may not look as modern as the Katana. But they are tried, tested and proven over many years of flight instruction as great platforms to learn on.

Anyway, good luck whatever and wherever you end up flying.

Paul.

xrayalpha
1st Mar 2010, 15:53
Hi,

If flying for fun, come and look at us in Strathaven.

Our C42s are a revalation!

If you wait until after 1st April (seriously) then we might even be able to do light aircraft training at Strathaven. The CAA insistance on training at licencensed airfields for light aircraft comes to an end then. (and one of our C42 instructors is actually a commercial pilot with an instructor's rating. Actually, both our full-time C42 instructors don't actually have microlight licences!)

And owning our aircraft, our school and our airfield means we can offer a good price (nothing cheap about us!!)

teen_pilot_95
1st Mar 2010, 19:27
I was wondering about Strathven.

In any case I'll persevere with Leading Edge and maybe get a trial lesson with them. I've got about 8 hours on my log just now.

Thanks for your help so far and if anyone has any other suggestions then I'll be happy to hear.

Cheers.

TP

(PS I'm only 15 so plenty of time to decide!)

IO540
1st Mar 2010, 20:40
This can be a real issue. GA is full of "character types" and it is not unusual to get a clash. It can be hard to resolve diplomatically because nobody likes to confront it openly.

ChrisVJ
2nd Mar 2010, 03:18
India Mike, (With respect,)

Why?

My view is you only have to pursue that course if there are no other flight schools available.

I went to a truly lousy dentist once. The tooth he filled hurt for days so I went to another dentist. The first thing he said was "Why don't you go and discuss it with him?" Left him too immediately. If he couldn't understand that I didn't want a lousy dentist prodding around in my mouth twice . . . . .

teen_pilot_95
7th Mar 2010, 19:33
A wee update.

I'm currently looking at doing a trial lesson at both Edinburgh Flying Club and Leading Edge. To be honest, looking at Glasgow and Edinburgh rather than Leading Edge is like 6 and half a dozen. We're probably as close to Glasgow than we are to Edinburgh but I'm not looking forward to walking out to the apron whilst my flight instructor touches down in a Katana.

Career wise I've just chosen my Higher (slighty lower than A-Level) subjects and I'm particularly looking at Cabair Integrated and FTE Integrated, but thats in two and a half years, until then I think concentrating on PPL and school is the most important things.

Cheers for your help,

TP95.

Wildpilot
7th Mar 2010, 22:14
Don't go to Cabair and don't go integrated, try to set yourself apart from that sausage factory rubbish. Those sort of schools are there just to push you through quickly and you will end up exactly the same as everyone else.

If I had my time again I would have done at least 100hrs tail wheel, its interesting makes you a bit better on the controls and is a little bit of a talking point with someone at an interview. When you come out of training you will have the same qual's as every other fresh painted pilot. And things like glass cockpit time don't mean a thing in the real world when you have no hours. Try to be as different as possible so your 250hrs seems better than the next guy.

Go to a small friendly flying school if you can as you can learn allot from just hanging around and not to mention really enjoy yourself.

teen_pilot_95
9th Mar 2010, 22:39
What would be the best way to get into Commercial Aviation?

As far as I'm concerned, that's all I want to do, careers wise, so Cabair or FTE looks like the most obvious option.

RVR800
10th Mar 2010, 12:31
Try

Full Sutton Airfield | Flying Lessons, Experience Flights, Trial Flights and Aircraft Hire in York and North Yorkshire - Flight Training and Ground School to Private Pilot's Licence standard and beyond. (http://www.fullsuttonairfield.com)

I believe they are very reasonable

Maoraigh1
10th Mar 2010, 19:41
Airdrie is not very close to Yorkshire.

teen_pilot_95
14th Mar 2010, 23:14
As I say, all I want to do is fly.

Any other ideas? Would a Modular be better? Looking at these things now to be honest.

bingofuel
15th Mar 2010, 11:11
Hi

If you have searched the threads about here you should be well aware of the state of commercial aviation at present and how it is changing.
I have no idea how it will be in 1,2, 5 or 10 years time but what I do know is time is on your side. By all means start flying lessons, make flying your passion, but consider the possibility of failure from whatever cause being it ability, medical, financial or just loss of interest.
Prudent people have a plan B, a back up if plan A does not work or is delayed.
Get your highers, get a skill set or a trade, anything that will enable you to earn a resaonable living and look upon the flying as a passion that might, just might become a career.

Yes, I know you are convinced you will be one of the few that will make it, maybe you will and I hope you do, but please just think for a moment 'what if it doesn't happen' for whatever reason.

Good luck
And remember give nobody money up front!

tomtom_91
15th Mar 2010, 13:49
As the chap above said its important to look at the commercial industry at the moment and realize when/if it is going to recover - Its vital to have a back up plan - Also as bingofuel said its important not to hand any money over up front I almost did (was very close) and the school have just gone bank rupt! (Lucky I changed my mind about them!)

teen_pilot_95
24th Mar 2010, 13:40
Also looking at the possibility of ATC as an occupation and that looks quite good.

I paid CFC up front and I got 8 hours out of the 5 hours I originally paid for, but I'm looking for a new school as you can see from this thread.

(The eight hours included two flights to Prestwick and back)