PDA

View Full Version : pushback and start.

dynamite dean
28th Feb 2010, 19:26
Easy one (I hope!) I was with flying with a co captain the other day, he is ex SAAF Im civilian :\ pilot. we got clearence to start I started one engine waiti for tug to uncouple and move away and I start the second. Oh boy this chap says why did you start an engine during pushback?!!!!!!:hmm:

Okay I am prepared to be educated late on in my life here am I in the wrong or is it our local differences here.

thanks ( I have searched B4 posting.)

British Grenadier
28th Feb 2010, 19:40
Perhaps its a change in Company procedure ?? and didn't he give you an explanation why you shouldn't , or is that a secret ???? , mind you SA people are strange anyway ....:suspect:

dynamite dean
28th Feb 2010, 20:14
Thanks for that yes I am inclined to agree I could say many , many countless of annoying habits like that..wait let me fetch my gun:)

I like to call it the 'compass theory' to get me through the day he/she sees it from one angle and I see it from another where I sit:E

411A
1st Mar 2010, 00:03
he is ex SAAF

Says it all, really.

Many of these ex-air force guys are a pain, I just put 'em in their place, with a statement thus...'IF the air force was so great, why did you leave?'

Lafyar Cokov
1st Mar 2010, 00:23
Our company have recently introduced a policy of no engine starts on pushback until the p-brake is set - which on a 4 engined aeroplane does delay things somewhat!! I think its something to do with safety - but god knows everyone else seems to be doing it without any problems........:ugh:

411A
1st Mar 2010, 01:51
I think its something to do with safety - but god knows everyone else seems to be doing it without any problems........

Indeed they do, except when the stand is wet and/or icy.
Broken shear pins/bent tow bars may have something to do with this, however, if reasonable precautions are undertaken (by folks that know what they are doing:}), no problems can be expected.

BOAC
1st Mar 2010, 11:31
dd - some companies bar engine start if there are no comms with the groundcrew, and there can be issues with hydraulics pressurising nosewheel steering on some types.

It seems an odd question! How long has this guy been a 'captain' with your outfit?

dynamite dean
1st Mar 2010, 12:50
BOAC;

He is (as I get reminded quite frequently was a high ranking officer for many years 28 in the airforce first civilain job) said you NEVER start an engine during pushback ; I thought it was er hum... cultural differences. Its a case for me if someone wants to make a big point I let them sometimes have nothing to prove. But it is a pain nevertheless. Then again it is a person who once did a take off 10kts higher to compensate for a 10 kt tailwind...:ugh: I think I better end this post I have my answer thanks to all! Cant wait till the uK market picks up I'll be back like a shot!:)

BOAC
1st Mar 2010, 13:56
OK dd - but in case you 'revisit', the point I was working towards is how on earth did he get through line training in your outfit if he doesn't understand pushbacks?

His 'previous' actually has no bearing on his lack of knowledge of your company's procedures. - it would seem to be a failing inside your limo company - assuming of course you work for an aviation company.

dynamite dean
1st Mar 2010, 15:06
Hi BOAC,

Er hum (clearing my throat)...he is the CP so it is me apparently that is the person who doesnt know much in my humble 13 years in aviation managed to get an IS-BAO accreditation mind you .. he is the operation, and we are the disciples and he saves the owner lots of $$$ in managment costs so us mere mortals are well ..er..just that. Its a case of Co Captains should be seen and not heard. A not so nice side of the aviation business im experiencing for the moment. I'll get my hat...:)

Im used to Charter in the UK previously (therefore LPC, OPC etc) as its a private operation a first for me seemed a nice set up initially - as his first corporate job he has had no line checks per say, no opc straight from the airforce (heavy turboprop) straight into high performance jet. Says it all really East meets West in the plane you might say.I just peep through my fingers get the pay check , look elswhere and hope one day I can be lvl FL200 by TNT someday again!:{

best wishes
DD

BOAC
1st Mar 2010, 15:32
Roger, dd - throat clearing understood. Maybe the CP would like to publish push-back SOPs, then you would all know?

Over and out:)

dynamite dean
1st Mar 2010, 15:54
:ok::ok::ok:

parabellum
1st Mar 2010, 20:43
When I was in SIA we had several South African captains, many ex SAAF, never a problem starting on push back, subject never mentioned, just had to make sure you didn't start too many and stop the tug!

411A
2nd Mar 2010, 00:35
....start too many and stop the tug!

Been known to happen...:}

GlueBall
2nd Mar 2010, 04:46
If during push-back the ground crew says it's OK to start, then we start. There is no company policy and no airplane limitation. Besides, at most we would manage to get only 2 out of 4 motors started before the push-back is complete. At most airports powerful tugs lift the nose wheel and use no tow bars.