PDA

View Full Version : Van's Aircraft -vs- CzSA / Pipersport

Greg2041
28th Feb 2010, 16:15
I originally placed this request in the wrong section but as it has been changed from aircraft restoration to building an aircraft kit, I hope someone out there will be able to help us.

Our church is seeking to acquire and assemble a suitable kit aircraft to point of flight working with disadvantaged young people in the area. It will provide a structured education programme and a formal qualification as well as exposure to industry practitioners from a range of disciplines.It is going to be about building relationships, hard work and ultimately fun!

The team has been assembled (all from within the church) including aeronautical engineers, marine engineers, avionics and electrical engineers, an experience ex-forces pilot who now flies commerically, a project manager, a teacher, youth worker, youth minister...... and the list goes on.

I am confident that we can find somewhere suitable to restore an aircraft or two but we need a suitable aircraft to build. So my questions are,

1. Would you go for a Van's aircraft kit or a kit Pipersport type aircraft I am told the latter is available as a kit aircraft for CzSA although I can't find a suitable internet link to CzSA.

2. As these aircraft are in the LSA class, does this cause any problems for students who may want to obtain their PPL? I'm not really sure what the difference is between LSA class and 'normal' class.

Thank you in advance

Greg

Rod1
28th Feb 2010, 17:01
You need to make contact with the LAA (Light Aircraft Association). This is the organisation, which looks after home built aircraft in the UK, but it also has a very active education section, which may well offer you additional help

Rod1

gasax
28th Feb 2010, 18:14
The situation with the Sport Cruiser is a little uncertain. It may remain available as a kit - but that is dependent upon the arrangement with Piper. Given the supposedly huge sum of money they paid for their 'marketing' deal it may well be that they will have sole rights.

On the other hand the RV12 is not yet full approved as an LAA kit. Given Vans track record that should not be much of a risk but it does make things a little more uncertain.

You need to carry out a significant amount more research. Presently there is no such thing as LSAs in the UK. These aircaft are permit types and whilst it is (just) possible to gain a licence on a permit aircraft it is very much less than straight forward.

The microlight route is much easier at the moment - but all this will change over the next 2 or 3 years as and when the EASA arrangements take over.

The LAA is the first stop.

Greg2041
28th Feb 2010, 18:24
It all sounds extremely confusing. I was thinking about an RV7 or RV10 if the Pipersport in kit form became unavailable. I couldn't find the CzSA website anyway.

I will head towards the LSA website.

Many thanks

Greg

Rod1
28th Feb 2010, 19:48
It is the LAA.

Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/)

Rod1

Genghis the Engineer
28th Feb 2010, 20:12
Personally I'd not go for either - they're excellent aeroplanes, but very expensive when something much cheaper would provide exactly the same benefits for your group, with equal quality and safety.

I've been involved professionally with most of the technical and educational / teambuilding issues that you need to crack. I doubt that I've got much time to offer, but perhaps quite a lot of expertise.

If you want to talk through the issues, please feel free to PM me some contact details and I'd be glad to spend an hour or two talking through the options and ways to get what you're after.

G

hatzflyer
1st Mar 2010, 07:58
I am a LAA inspector quite local to you. PM me with your contact details if you require help.

Greg2041
1st Mar 2010, 17:32
I have PM'd the relevant people. Thank you all for the info. Hopefully, we can give those young people some focus and meaning to their lives.

Greg