PDA

View Full Version : UK/NATS - How long to Validate for Tower

whitelighter
27th Feb 2010, 14:43
Can anyone tell me how long it takes on average to validate for a busy tower (Heathrow/Gatwick etc). I know everyone will be different but was trying to understand what is involved with validation and what the expected time frame is for those that have done so.

Thanks

On the beach
27th Feb 2010, 15:11
When I first started Aerodrome Control training there was a minimum experience requirement (MER) of 30 hours. I think you will find that has probably increased since my days and the current times are probably contained within each ATC units Unit Training Plan (UTP).

So it really will depend on where you will be doing your on-the-job training and which Aerodrome rating you are going for and what previous controlling experience you have.

I'm sure someone will provide you with typical times/hours to validation, or you could always give the individual ATC units a ring.

On the beach

sr562
27th Feb 2010, 15:46
As stated above, the average time will depend on which unit, as you will have to follow the guidlines in the unit training plan.

On average it is between 6 to 8 months, so for example at a smaller unit you may take 6 months with an average minimum experience requirement of around 200 hours and at larger units it will take longer due to a higher number of minimum hours probably around 300 - 400 hours.
These are just rough estimates, as it depends on previous experience, ability etc.

Hope that is of help.

timelapse
27th Feb 2010, 16:10
Just for comparison's sake:

Started at the college end of June 2007..

Posted to Heathrow after finishing aerodrome January 2008..

Waiting around / Going on visits / Training in the sim for 6 months..

Started on watch June 2008..

Validated February 2009.

This isn't necessarily indicative of what happens now, I believe the sim course has reduced in length dramatically to a matter of weeks, and obviously different people take different amounts of time to get through the various stages so it depends how quickly you can pick it up!