PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Ukraine, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Kirgistan and Russia

Cecco
26th Feb 2010, 10:15
Hi, weīll be going to those countries soon (private operation; citation cj1+) so I was wondering what to expect flyingwise except that the altitudes will be in meters instead of feet and that wind reports are in m/s instead of knots. Iīm also interested if there are any special issues on the ground (payments done mainly in cash? Any other special forms that should be carried along?). BTW, according our dispatch service, the radio can be done in English on our planned route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Cecco

Welle
26th Feb 2010, 11:08
hi cecco

ukraine:
expect FL in feet, altitudes QNH and quite normal ATC service

russia:
flight levels in METERS
altituteds in METER QFE, you can either use meters (which I prefer) or recalculate meters to feet qnh (which might be prone to errors)

expect very short line ups to ils and 90° vectors,
report "gear down and ready to land" before landing clearence
report ready for take off after line up

DO NOT open doors after arrival from international flights, before customs officers show up at the aircraft!

arrange a local handling partner (e.g. to file local flight plans)
for inner-russian flights do not fly without a certain flight-permission doc.

VISUM: be prepared: either have a russian visum before flight, or request an visum upon arrival with your handling partner before flight. expect some delay up to a couple of hours..

Be patient..: ops here is different...

kazakhstan etc..
in general same ops than russia
check your jepp for entry requirements and establish radio contact and entry clearence before crossing FIR boundry

fly safe, enjoy the wild east
welle

ewe.lander
26th Feb 2010, 11:10
Morning,

I'm based in Kazakhstan on a Corporate Jet. ATC usually efficient and safe (Almaty based). They are used to Western Europe crews - its fairly hassle free. QNH available - if you ask! MSA just south of the Airfield goes vertical..

Weather this time of the year in Almaty & Astana grim - Astana significantly colder than UAAA, -26C the other day, taxiways and ramp like a Dutch Skaters worst nightmare.

TAF's nearly always VV001 due to the metmen getting in trouble if they get the forecast wrong - so it always looks bad! We 'tanker' fuel so we have as many options as possible for Div, Bishkek & Astana usual for Almaty. KZK is a VAST country, look long and hard at where you will go if/when the Destination goes out in weather.

Bek Air FBO in Almaty OK, they will sort most problems out at the airfield, then get you away to the Hotac (Hyatt where most Bizjet guys go, though Holiday Inn OK). Make sure you get a Gendec stamped inbound by the Customs Guys in the HUGE hats - helps on the escape plan!

Dont know anything about the CJ1 - but read up on Winter Ops and what you need to do to protect the Jet overnight, draining water, battery removal etc.. De-Ice at UAAA fairly efficient, but you need to pre-book then make sure you keep hold of the handler, once he vapourises for a coffee you will be alone. Security on the Airfield good, almost too good, getting out of the country can be tricky if Visa's are not exactly right.

Good luck!

7xXx
26th Feb 2010, 11:31
and don't forget the most important thing: condoms!!!!

His dudeness
26th Feb 2010, 12:37
TAF's nearly always VV001 due to the metmen getting in trouble if they get the forecast wrong - so it always looks bad! We 'tanker' fuel so we have as many options as possible for Div, Bishkek & Astana usual for Almaty. KZK is a VAST country, look long and hard at where you will go if/when the Destination goes out in weather.

Very good advise, was there yesterday. The TAF was unusual accurate - we landed at 60m/200ft FG 600m - exactly as predicted. RVR changed in last 30 minutes between 150 and 1500m.
ATC is pretty good. IMO.

As said before KAZ is huge with not many airports. Donīt let the wx corner you - I doubt the CJ1 is the best machine to do that job, but...
I was in UAAA, UACC, UASK and UATE. Visa for crew not required if you stay less than 96 hours. The immigration officers in UASK did not know this - stay polite but firm and they contact their superiors after making a big fuzz about you staying in the airplane.
Payment: try to set up credit via Berkut/BEK air services, they will cover everything like fuel/hotel/crewtransport etc and sent a bill afterwards.
Maybe use Air Ops International in MUC for that.

URRVCTR
27th Feb 2010, 20:25
As for Russia, it's better to choose UUDD and UUEE iso UUWW, due to traffic jam there.

alas8
17th Mar 2010, 23:59
And if you have to come back due to technical reason in these countries NEVER say truth to ATC, you will be grounded for many many days. Tell something about pax request if they are asking... Like luggage left in hotel or something...
Return for tech reason is treated as incident and has to be investigated much like an accident.
Good luck!

potatowings
18th Mar 2010, 09:04
My biggest bit of advice is really lean on the handlers. I have always found that they want to help and can get as frustrated as the crews when dealing with the authorities in places like this. Almost always they are our friendly eyes and ears.

On standby
18th Mar 2010, 14:12
Tajikistan Dushanbe - you need Dollars, lots of Dollars.

There are 2 agents I know of: Rusaero (Moscow) have a man there, not the best agent. Emberlay.com have another guy, he seems much more switched on, although I have only used him for fuel.

Best hotel is Hyatt but not cheap.

FBO in UUDD is small and easier to use than UUEE. UUWW too busy.

transilvana
19th Mar 2010, 09:34
Take with you big and warm clothes, you donīt have APU and can freeze out there waiting for a paper...remember 01 Eastern country Hour = 3 to 4 Western hours, things over there work different, donīt get frustated, itīs only how it works.

Take always full fuel, even if you are flying 20 minutes, delays can be too long

good flights

Aeroa
19th Oct 2011, 12:29
UUWW will charge you 2K USD in case of departure without pax. If FA is mentioned as a pax, the penalty is also chargeable.(except Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania regs) If I'm not mistaken.

bigKH
19th Oct 2011, 18:45
Oh the joys of flying in the ****istans :}

inbalance
20th Oct 2011, 10:41
Most of the waypoint coordinates are not WGS84 in these Countries.(Jeppesen Database)
Fly your approaches based on raw data only.
I found myself aligned with the Taxiway when flying NDBīs with the help of the FMS.
Garmin 430 gives a warning when you are leaving WGS84 area, but Collins and Honeywell doesnīt.

Inbalance

buzzc152
20th Oct 2011, 14:06
If you have a smart phone, download an app for quickly decoding Russian runway state/snotams/braking co-efficients etc etc.

Also, I would highly recommend in those QFE environments flying on QFE. Don't try convert and fly on QNH......especially after having converted from meters.....you might quickly find yourself in a world of hurt.

Always have your passport ready in your pocket.

And of course, take as much extra fuel as you can.

Haregot
30th Mar 2013, 12:08
Dear users,
i need a very honest and and straightforward answer.
I have been offered a flying job as A320 F/O in Tajikistan. The hub will either be Kuliab, or another town outside the capital city Dushambe flying to Moscow or Chiliabinsk.
Now here's the dilemma: not knowing the place, he culture and how the living standards are would any one of you have any idea how flying in this country is?
ive heard few things, which certainly are not very inviting to go there.
Please help.

PENNINE BOY
30th Mar 2013, 20:46
Send me a PM

Booglebox
31st Mar 2013, 11:55
This might help: Tajikistan travel guide - Wikitravel (http://wikitravel.org/en/Tajikistan)

macklin
31st Mar 2013, 17:43
Hi!
Russia FL:s feet and altitudes meters.

AIP (http://aviadocs.net/AIP/html/eng.htm)

jukka

Deep and fast
1st Apr 2013, 11:05
Maklin is correct about FL and heights. Russia implemented RVSM airspace about 14 months ago making ops slightly easier.

UUWW is fine providing you allow plenty of time have plenty of fuel and don't try to shortcut the system. Not cheap though.

Operating an aircraft without an APU is something I wouldn't do in winter or summer!

D and F