PDA

View Full Version : RVSM Altimeter Check: Do you write down readings?

None
25th Feb 2010, 16:34
The Jeppesen AT 1/2 Chart and the MNPS manual state that we should write down the altimeter readinsg on the pre-coast-out RVSM check. Does your company specify this in SOPs?

Would you care to comment on how often you see your other fellow pilots do this?

In-Flight - Before Operating in MNPS Airspace
9.1.9 Most flights will approach the MNPSA through European or North American RVSM
airspaces. It is therefore expected that continuous monitoring of the serviceability of the aircraft’s height
keeping systems will have been undertaken. Nevertheless, in view of the significant change of operating
environment (i.e. to indirect surveillance and communications) it is recommended that a final confirmation
of the aircraft systems serviceability is performed immediately prior to entering the NAT MNPSA. An
altimeter cross check should be carried out; at least two primary altimeters must agree within plus or
minus 200 ft. The readings of the primary and standby altimeters should be recorded to be available for use
in possible contingency situations.

BOAC
25th Feb 2010, 16:49
Yes - and at intervals en-route

mcdhu
25th Feb 2010, 17:51
No requirement in our OMs (Uk/Europe).

mcdhu

John Boeman
25th Feb 2010, 18:49
Yes, on the ground, prior to entering RVSM and at hourly intervals enroute. Space provided on front page of plog for same. As most legs (European) are around 2 hrs or less the hourly check is rarely filed in.

Reimers
25th Feb 2010, 19:22
Our OM states that they should be recorded (should = not mandatory), so I do it but I have often asked myself what I could possibly do with these recoudings?